Anthony Leal - 2020 Shooting Guard (Offered)

Discussion in '2020 Recruiting Profiles' started by mwall787, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,290
    Seems like that works against Butler for every Indy kid. Kids want to go away from home for college.

The difference is, if you grow up in Bloomington, there's probably some pressure to go to IU because IU dominates every aspect of that town. In Indy, there isn't that same pressure to stay home and go to Butler.

2. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $234
    It’s just not true. Does Marquette struggle getting guys from Milwaukee? How about Xavier and / or Cincinnati getting kids from Cincinnati?

Butler struggles to get local kids simply because they refuse to do anything that would make them attractive to local kids. It’s a decision. Christ, little Northern Kentucky has done more.

It does not have anything to do with Indianapolis kids somehow being different than kids from everywhere else and uniformly wanting to leave home.

nindiana likes this.
  3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
    Cincy had two local kids from the area on last year's roster (Cumberland, Martin). X had one semi-local kid (Goodin) and Marquette had none.

bwesson15, Delivery Dawg, #60 and 6 others like this.
  4. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Member

Money:
    $77
    Marquette has had 6 kids from the Milwaukee area in the last 15 years. Since Woj has been there he has had 2 kids from the Milwaukee area and one of them transferred. Marquette has done a great job recruiting the state but to say Marquette has done astounding job recruiting Milwaukee is a bit of a stretch since they have missed out on 6 kids in the past 5 years.

Xavier has recruited 1 kid from Cincinnati in the past 10 years and that was Semaj Christon. Xavier has had more kids from Indianapolis play for them than kids from Cincinatti.

Marquette and Xavier have both missed out on more talent from their city than they have acquired.

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $5,290
    You mean the 2 (yes, a whopping 2) scholarship players from the greater Cincy area that Xavier has had on their roster in the past decade?

In that same time, Butler has had 2 scholarship players from Indy. And that’s not counting the 5 others from Indy suburbs.

So there’s that.

As for Marquette and Cincy, I’d say it’s unquestionable that those schools are more ingrained in the sports fabric of their cities than Butler is in Indy. And have been for a long time. Butler has been relevant to casual sports fans in Indy for about 10 years.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    I may be wrong but I think Brunk, McD, Dunham and Mulloy were/are effectively local kids as were Hayward & Howard previously. Every year we talk about not getting local kids as if they are better than any other recruits just because they are from Indianapolis.

Shimmy likes this.
  7. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $5,290
    If anything, our coaching instability has hurt our chances with the really good local recruits more than anything.

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    It hurt us with recruits all over the country.

9. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $412
    That’s crazy talk. You know it is our lack of private jets.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg and NCJon like this.
  10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
  11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,513
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
  13. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $499
    Grew up in Bloomington, 80-90% of high school students in Bloomington go to IU if they can get in.

As someone who did want to get out, shocked me at first, but it does make sense as IU dominates most aspects of that town, not saying that's a bad thing, but that's how it works.

With major sports recruits those numbers could look different, of course.

14. Dawg Guy

Dawg Guy Active Member

Money:
    $414
    Will be interesting to see if an offer comes from IU. Has been a complete mixed bag this weekend for Leal.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
  16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
  17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,016
    Leal and Galloway both with IU home visits on Monday. I’d be shocked if an IU offer didn’t come during the visit. Archie has been swinging and missing on a few recently and the IU fan base seems a bit skittish. Plus the whole “locking down the state” stuff will explode if a kid from their backyard goes out of state—especially a place like UVA on the heels of Guy.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
  19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168

Lowery's been following Galloway and Leal both days. Really need to close at least one of these guys.

20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,890
    Honestly Galloway hasn't impressed me at all watching him this year. I'd be OK with him as a last resort and not a first choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app