Any older fans that knew, played or watched when Hink coached might

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by tjreese, Nov 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $222
    enjoy this small clip. @Insane Dawg for one. I do not know the event but think it was Saturday as I was flipping between Butler and IU to watch the game. I had an early Thanksgiving dinner and never really got to speak with Jeff much to see what was going on. BTW Jeff's grandaughter Emily (cheerleader) LOVES Butler! Now her younger sister may follow and Tahcia (daughter) & Jim will be spending a lot of money for two! ;)

rperk, kmacker69, WestLoopDog and 8 others like this.
  2. tlp63

tlp63 Member

Money:
    $117
    I would love to know who the “kids” were since I’m of a certain age.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,706
    We need more stories like this.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,498
    Thanks TJReese for this post of one of Butler’s all time greats! Would love to have been there to listen to Jeff.

tjreese likes this.
  5. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Jeff is one to not gloat over his basketball. His son only found out he played ball when he found some old scrapbooks in the basement and told his mom (my sister), “Dad must have been pretty good.” If you didn’t know him you wouldn’t know he played. However, he doesn’t shy from it…he just doesn’t drown you with it. The twitter account I haven’t even heard until now. I know he would tell you Hink would tell all he had no stars. Hink called him his kangaroo and I know bought him a milkshake when he touched 12 feet. Is that a violation? I had never heard of Bevo Francis until Jeff and another deceased brother-in-law talked about him. Google him if you are unaware. You are right though. I need to get him and his brother Mike in a quiet spot and just ask for some Hinkle stories. I will see Jeff on 12/22 (not aware of whether Mike will be there) for their Christmas Dinner and perhaps I can learn some more.

As something similar, but different I remember many years ago receiving a phone call from Stephen Ambrose asking if I were Lavon Reese’s son of which I’m not. He asked if he were alive and I said no, and it fell quiet for a few and Stephen said he knew he should have started his project sooner as more and more were dying. He said he was writing a book and wanted it to be the most accurate book on WW2 written and told by those that were there. He said this group of men were heroes and were in all the major battles from D-Day until Eagles Nest and that someday this “Band of Brothers” would most likely have a movie. I hooked him us with Lavon’s daughter that another of my sisters would sit around the kitchen table for a few and leave as Lavon told war stories. He was an alcoholic after the war and his daughter and my sister would give anything to have a redo. So yeah, some great stories can be lost if not asked. Most of the things I hear from Jeff is a response from a question that prompts him with a thought as he doesn’t just relay them. I do recall him talking about when Brad Stevens asked him about being recruited by Hink. I think something was going on in Hinkle…some renovation that they hoped would help recruiting. Jeff told Brad that when he went to Butler Hink brought him into his office…a cage with uniforms and such hanging up (those that are older know Hink did it all!!!!) and Tony sat down in a chair behind the desk and Jeff sat “on the corner” of the desk. Hink said, “Blue, I would like to offer you a scholarship to Butler. It will cover your tuition and housing and you will get a good education. I think you can be a good player for us. Take your time and think about it for a couple of days and let me know. I have a lot of others that would love the scholarship offer.”

Jeff told that to Brad and Brad shook his head and said, “I would give anything to be able to recruit like that.” Last one concerning Butler for now. Jeff has a canoe livery business just across 31 from the Edinburgh Outlet Mall off I65 north of Columbus, IN. As he was building that business which is seasonal he needed some winter work (he had quit personnel at Cummins) and became an academic recruiter for Butler. Somewhere in that timeframe he was approached by Barry Collier (he knows him ) or the president of Butler…I’m fuzzy on which. He was asked what happened to Butler Basketball in that they used to be so good. Jeff told them that a president came in and deemphasized athletics and the program started its downward slide. Barry or the president said, “We are going to change that and start putting some emphasis on sports.” Damnit this is my last one!!! There was a recruit that had been offered a scholly by the Big Ten that was also considering Butler (Jeff actually signed Big Ten letter with Purdue “if” he went to the Big Ten) and was talking to Hinkle that he thought He would have a better chance of seeing the floor at Butler than whatever the Big Ten team was. HInk reminded him that Butler had beaten THAT team the last two years and it might be harder at Butler???

To the media and the youngsters it may appear that Butler only started in 2010 or so, but to those that have been around and watched more than a handful games Butler was very good years ago.

NCJon, kmacker69, seadawg and 2 others like this.
  6. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $222
    I still owe you a story or two on Red and the Celtics...I haven't forgotten and they are not long..just how Red used the Celtics to combat racism in the south...

WestLoopDog likes this.
  7. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,706
    What if recruiting really was that pure and simple???

seadawg, Insane Dawg and tjreese like this.
  8. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Those kids are all pretty old if they were Hinkle kids... ;)

9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,305
    57F0050A-2C54-4AF3-A214-3FBE1DE20A81.jpeg
    Here’s some of those kids:) That’s Coach Hinkle’s daughter Patty at center court.

troggy, tjreese, Sidd Finch and 2 others like this.
  10. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Looks like Jack Kreb's 2 behind guy in wheelchair (Gene???). Jeff partially blocked back row. Engle (cousin) standing in the middle slightly left with left hand around pocket? Don't see ken Freeman that used to coach 50 mile north of Indy. As a youngster I was a fan of a guard that played with Jeff that I think passed on...super quick, 5'10" number 10??? Gerry Williams. I imagine somewhere in there is Tom Bowman, Dave Sanders, Rick Mauck, Larry Shade, Gene Milner (cousin to Jeff and uncle to Matt Wadell -Purdue), Gary Cox...Ed Schilling...

BTW BUcheer...if you are a current cheerleader Jeff's grandaughter is Emily(freshman)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019