Article *****ing about Certain Teams and Fan Reactions

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bobbu64, May 17, 2018.

1. bobbu64

bobbu64 Member

Money:
    $53
    s

Notable Fans: Gonzaga, Butler…

Everyone loves a good underdog story, but when you have had a successful program for over a decade, you are no longer an underdog. At some point, fans need to realize that their successful season is impressive but not all that special.

Zag fans, listen up! Stop making it seem like the student population, school location, and conference alignment are an issue in recruiting anymore. Mark Few has built a program that can get some of the top recruits and transfers every year, and trying to act like the darling Cinderella doesn’t do him justice. Nobody is underrating Gonzaga anymore, everyone knows they are a top tier program.

Almost as annoying, the Butler Way is a phrase that has been shouted for as long as I can remember. Sure, Butler perfected the approach to team basketball, making two Cinderella runs in a row. But since then the school has grown in the national landscape. Not only have the Bulldogs made eight NCAA Tournament in the past 10 years, they have also moved into one of the best conferences in the country.

Please both of you, do us all a favor and recognize that when your teams win, most of us expect it.

NEXT:

2. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,133
    1. I as a fan no longer consider us an underdog. My friends who have watched them for the past ten years are the same way (especially my friends who go to UD and UC). It’s the national media that colors us in this light.

2. Writer was probably just a bitter private schooler mad his team hasn’t made the national championship in the 2000s.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $814
    I agree, not too many of us expect us to be the-little-engine-that-could anymore. When we show up, we expect to win.

Tybuhoops likes this.
  4. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Member

Money:
    $136
    Author is a Gonzaga alum and fan. He writes at the site I am an expert at. I think this applies to some “Butler fans” and not the true fan base.

5. wazthree

wazthree Active Member

Money:
    $3,214
    You are “an expert at”? What is that exactly.

UDDawg likes this.
  6. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Member

Money:
    $136
    It’s the official title of my position. Along with one other person, I manage the site, edit articles, recruit writers, and write my own pieces. I am on vacation right now, though.

7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,421
    Wtf? That is complete bullshit, and this author is a ****ing moron.

The Butler Way isn’t about an underdog overachieving or fans acting like the little engine could slayed Goliath again. It’s an entire program culture. An identity on top of which everything is built. It means true student athletes. It means honoring the game and respecting your opponent. It’s winning with class and dignity. It’s being respectful on and off the court. It’s staying out of trouble. It’s being a productive citizen in society, both during and after your playing career. All while performing at the highest levels and to the best of your individual and team's abilities.

THAT is the Butler Way, and that should NEVER change.

At Penn State, we have the same thing, but what you call The Butler Way is what we call Success with Honor. Winning football games while going to class, graduating and staying out of trouble.

Things like these are program transitions that transcend players and coaches and stand the test of time. It’s what makes these places special. That’s not something you throw away because your expectations on the court have risen... if anything the commitment to those principles should be stronger.

8. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Member

Money:
    $136
    Thanks for the insight into PSU. I love that mentality and it is something every program should value.

9. nindiana

nindiana New Member

Money:
    $15
    Yikes, are we really so upset by some random dude on the internet that doesn’t like our fan base that we need to call them a “****ing moron?” While I don’t agree with what the author wrote, we might ACTUALLY have the most easily triggered fanbase on earth when it comes to people criticizing our program.

Also, not sure I like The Butler Way being compared to anything at Penn State, of all places - but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,174
    Who you calling easily triggered!!!!!!!??????

Damn, the emojis didn't work...

So, hahaha....wink. Just kidding. :)

11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,566
    Funny but the games back when BU was the little engine that could, I felt like most were winnable. I am tiny bit more apprehensive now. Thus is the transition to big boy ball in the BE.

12. NateDog

NateDog Active Member

Money:
    $285
    5 of your 6 posts on this site are bashing the Butler fan base. Get a new gripe.

13. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,072
    LOL! Welcome or not to the forum... But yeah, I think if it's promoted on our message board we can have a negative opinion about it and call out the author! If it was on a random site and we brought it here and got all butt hurt, then yeah, you're opinion sticks... Bring it to our site and it's fair game to be "triggered" about what it says... BTW, go piss up a rope with the dismissal of The Butler way! (You didn't do that but by proxy you agreed with it by saying we can't get upset about it.)

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,231
    Holy crap you are right. Reading his posts is like going to the dentist. If I had a guess, I'd say he's really an IU fan in BU clothing...The dude is nothing more than a Title wannabe or maybe Title Jr. Got it love the ignore button :)

15. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,947
    estar20dawg likes this.
  16. nindiana

nindiana New Member

Money:
    $15
    Nah, not at all with the doom and gloom, guys. BU program is looking up. Just seems like many here jump all over anyone who doesn’t have the opinion that BU is the greatest program ever.

I think we could do better with handling criticism level headedly, and yes, it irks me that we jump all over anyone who doesn’t LOVE everything of what Butler is. From my eyes, it seems the fanbase is way to quick to place blame on refereeing/outsiders then they are to accept constructive criticism.

17. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,646
    That's the issue. It is a random guy spouting like his misguided belief of the Butler Way as accurate. As PSU said, the Way is not all about being an underdog, and this guy is perpetuating a belief that isn't true.

We follow the Dawgs more than anyone. Why shouldn't we be upset when someone spouts false narratives to casual fans who don't know any better and therefore believe his garbage and lies?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops

18. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $178
  19. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $178
    I've also used the "D.E.F.E.N.S.E. WAY"
    Demand Excellence From Everyone No Selfish Exceptions.

20. wazthree

wazthree Active Member

Money:
    $3,214
    Don’t ever want to be compared to PSu