Assistant Coach Opening

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Feb 14, 2021.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,847
    Would totally leave for UK. His parents are huge fans and it would mean the world to them.

AZRPh and 2xDawg like this.
  2. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $201
    “We can also prove the thesis that “what we’ve seen under Lavall is not Butler basketball” to be objectively false from a results standpoint.”

For me, “Butler basketball” is much more than results. It’s a style of play both D and O, demeanor, energy, intense competitiveness no matter the scoreboard, a court confidence & belief in the XO systems and more I’m sure. Nicely, those and more qualities others can help round up translate into wins most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ChiDawg3, 2xDawg, znelson15 and 2 others like this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,294

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app[/QUOTE]

I understand what you mean. I take considerable pride in achieving results that equal schools 10 x as large. 2015 is my favorite team I’ve watched at Butler because they embodied what you described so well.

I think that we forget how even our favorite teams struggled though. For 2015 we have memories of Barlow, Kam and Rose playing tough as nails defense. Chrabascz with an otherworldly feel and toughness. Kellen lighting it up outside.

2013 we have Rose, Barlow and Rotnei willing us to wins and us rising to the occasion for every single big game we had except maybe, Illinois.

2017-just a fantastic year top to bottom.

But we forget that all those teams had struggles too. 2017 we questioned if Holt has lost the team. 2015 we lost badly to a bad Tennessee team. We got blown out at Nova, we got blown out at Xavier. We had plenty of times where all the things I loved about that team weren’t applicable.

2013 we rose to the occasion time and time again, but we also lost at home to a bad Charlotte team, obliterated at VCU, and crushed multiple times by SLU. Again, all the traits I remember about that team, weren’t always on display.

The things I loved about those teams have been readily on display as recently as last years; Kamar willed us to wins time and time again; Aaron Thompson was allowing like 13% shooting against him prior to his injury. We had the fourth rated defensive efficiency in the country through the first half of the season and our offense was highly effective all season. We had the most q1 and 1a wins in the country, showing that again we rose to the occasion all season long.

I think so much of how we remember our teams is predicated on how they end the season. Lavall didnt get the luxury of the privileged ncaa seed we were headed for, and now he’s weathering a rebuilding year. Neither of those are “his fault,” certainly last year.

I think that we are distorting how competitive we have been so often, even under Lavall, because in a rebuilding year, we’re playing like we’re in a rebuilding year and last year, we were talking about a one seed in January and ended up with a 4 seed projection.

If we take a step back, I think that the things we look for and value in the program and past Teams are much closer to our recent past than we realize because of the circumstances that we’re in.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,065

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And haven’t seen much of it this year...

ButlerProf and ButlerNut like this.
  5. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $201
    I understand what you mean. I take considerable pride in achieving results that equal schools 10 x as large. 2015 is my favorite team I’ve watched at Butler because they embodied what you described so well.

I think that we forget how even our favorite teams struggled though. For 2015 we have memories of Barlow, Kam and Rose playing tough as nails defense. Chrabascz with an otherworldly feel and toughness. Kellen lighting it up outside.

2013 we have Rose, Barlow and Rotnei willing us to wins and us rising to the occasion for every single big game we had except maybe, Illinois.

2017-just a fantastic year top to bottom.

But we forget that all those teams had struggles too. 2017 we questioned if Holt has lost the team. 2015 we lost badly to a bad Tennessee team. We got blown out at Nova, we got blown out at Xavier. We had plenty of times where all the things I loved about that team weren’t applicable.

2013 we rose to the occasion time and time again, but we also lost at home to a bad Charlotte team, obliterated at VCU, and crushed multiple times by SLU. Again, all the traits I remember about that team, weren’t always on display.

The things I loved about those teams have been readily on display as recently as last years; Kamar willed us to wins time and time again; Aaron Thompson was allowing like 13% shooting against him prior to his injury. We had the fourth rated defensive efficiency in the country through the first half of the season and our offense was highly effective all season. We had the most q1 and 1a wins in the country, showing that again we rose to the occasion all season long.

I think so much of how we remember our teams is predicated on how they end the season. Lavall didnt get the luxury of the privileged ncaa seed we were headed for, and now he’s weathering a rebuilding year. Neither of those are “his fault,” certainly last year.

I think that we are distorting how competitive we have been so often, even under Lavall, because in a rebuilding year, we’re playing like we’re in a rebuilding year and last year, we were talking about a one seed in January and ended up with a 4 seed projection.

If we take a step back, I think that the things we look for and value in the program and past Teams are much closer to our recent past than we realize because of the circumstances that we’re in.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops[/QUOTE]

Nice recaps. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,065
    Anyone up for Porter Moser as head coach of things go that way? Butler can pay more than Loyola, no?

DawgPoundMac and IrishDawghouse like this.
  7. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,236
    Puke. And probably not with our cheap asses on the board.

8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,900
    He runs the same offense we are trying to run...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99 likes this.
  9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,294
    I agree. No reason to believe we would pay him more. I’m sure he’s had other overtures and we certainly can’t pay meaningfully more than what I would expect he’s already turned down.

It’s a moot point for now, the department is losing tons of cash that they didn’t have to lose in the first place. Jordan isn’t going anywhere for a while no matter if we like it or not.

10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,813
    I would assume Shrewsberry and Terry Johnson would probably get a look, if there ended up being a HC opening.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    NCJon likes this.
  11. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $486
    What about Beilein? I wonder if he would like to get back into college ball at a basketball-only school.
    As lackadaisical as this team looks the last 1/2 of the year, if the rumors are true on Scooby and more players defect, Collier would have to consider the change if he can secure a coach of Beilein's quality.

willisbrown likes this.
  12. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,381
    Celtics want Brad fired. That's very doubtful but if he wants to come back here. I kid.

They could have LJ as a top assistant for recruiting. That's likely what Brad was missing when he coached at Butler.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  13. Clevedog

Clevedog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $639
    I would not ask the Cavs for a reference, he was not accepted by the players, but he may just be too old to communicate with even younger players.

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,294
    Beilein isn’t happening. Even if he were interested he’s not coming and taking the job that used to belong to his friend.

15. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,381
    I should of wrote Celtics fans' want him fired.

16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,294
    Sometimes when fans want their coach fired it’s 90% a product of fans being idiots.