Atlantic 10 Notes

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, May 4, 2012.

1. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $644
    RE: Around the A10

@ebosshoops: Combo forward Hassan Martin confirms that he has committed to Rhode Island. That's two Rivals150 players in two days for the Rams

-----

Bizarre = actual recruiting

2. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627

5-star JUCO guard Chris Thomas reportedly just decommitted from Xavier.

As far as Butler, it could always be worse...

3. zvillehaze

zvillehaze New Member

Money:
    $6
    A-10 announces new TV deal for '13-'14:

http://www.atlantic10.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/100212aaa.html

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,899

http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2012/10/02/a-10s-tv-pact-boosts-butler/

Related to that, the January 12th game at Dayton and March 7th game at UMass will be on the NBC Sports Network.

I think in the long run, this move will make more games available to more people via TV, though who knows if every game will be available.

5. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,385

As someone who now resides in Nashville, I couldn't be happier with the new TV contract. Sadly, I couldn't get WNDY 23, but I have both NBC Sports and CBS Sports, so it means more games on TV for me.

I imagine the pact will also lead to more streaming either via ESPN3 or a similar solution.

6. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,742

Goalie,

Are you aware of a contingency of people down here that gather for games? I am in Nashville and would love to have more BU fans around to cheer with.

7. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,385

I know that we do have more of a presence down here than one would think. There has been a couple of viewing parties here and there over the years. John Dunn from Fox 17 is an alum. I'd definitely like to get a meetup together before the Vandy game and maybe some viewing parties.

8. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $9,627

Reportedly, the A10 television deal is worth $40 million over 8 years ($5 million/year).

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/ProJo/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=VFBKLzIwMTIvMTAvMDM.&pageno=Mjg.&entity=QXIwMjgwMg..&view=ZW50aXR5

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,899

That's basically another $360,000 a year for each school. What was it Woods was saying about increased travel costs? Was it $500k? If that's the case, this takes care of most of that, though $140k is still not an easy amount to make up.

10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,118

That $500k analysis was also very rough. IIRC it was simply an average difference between only a few schools in each league, and those schools varied quite a bit. I wouldn't put much stock into it. It might be (and probably is) significantly higher or lower.

11. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $9,627
    A10 media day:

A10 coaches poll:
    1. St. Joe's
    2. St. Louis
    3. VCU
    4. Temple
    5. UMass
    6. Butler
    7. LaSalle
    8. Dayton

Pre-Season First Team
    Dillard (Dayton)
    Gaston (Fordham)
    Williams (UMass)
    Mitchell (St. Louis)
    Wyatt (Temple)

Other Honors for Butler
    Clark - Second Team All-Conference
    Jones - All Defensive Team
    Dunham - All Rookie Team

12. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839

St. Joe's at 1 is ridiculous, and 6 for the Dawgs seems a little low. I'm thinking they finish somewhere in the 2-5 spots. Clarke not being first team is surprising. Can't say I know anything about those guys on the first team though...

13. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289

Although those predictions can very well become true, just like you don't know much about the guys on the first team, most A10 Coaches (who compiled this vote) don't know much about Butler - so I wouldn't really read too much into A10 coaches voted for what the know.

Clarke not being First Team is a clear example of that.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,118

I can't say I know enough about any of the teams to make a good prediction. I don't even know much about this team actually. I'd probably go with VCU, St. Louis, and Butler 1st 3 though. You could probably take the top 8 teams and draw them from a hat and have just as good of odds of getting the order right.

15. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $9,627

The top 6 schools all received at least one first place vote, so even the coaches/media don't know what to make of the conference this year.

FYI: Butler received 2 first place votes.

16. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352

I agree. Lots of parity at the top. I think the last 4 conference games on Butler's schedule are going to decide whether or not we win this League. Hopefully we will be in position thru the first 12 to take advantage of it.

23 days till the pre-season opener. Unbelievable. It's almost basketball season.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,118
    I thought I would see if we can expand this into a full sub-forum as the season approaches. Small bits can continue to be put here, but information that will probably trigger more discussion can now get its own thread.

18. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,899
    Andy Katz talking to some of the coaches (including Brad) at the A-10 media day.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/64869/podcast-andy-katz-at-a-10-media-day

19. bujet15

bujet15 New Member

Money:
    $5
    @JonRothstein: VCU announces that both Jordan Burgess and Mo Alie-Cox are partial qualifiers. Both will not play for the Rams in 2012-13.

20. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $644
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/storylist/20512719/3/2012-13-college-basketball-previews/preseason-expert-picks