Austin Etherington - Sophomore Transfer

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
  2. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
    Zak Keefer ‏@zkeefer 1m
    #Butler guard Austin Etherington will be sidelined 12-16 weeks after undergoing surgery on his right foot.

3. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,994
    Seriosuly, can Butler Basketball just delete the month of July from their calendars?

Anyone know if he's eligible for a medical red shirt? I believe he already used one at IU.

Is this a new injury or was he "damaged goods"?

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    Yuck. We need that depth this year and this is a big set back. I wasn't high on his signing to begin, but he was growing on me and having a wing like that off the bench is a good thing. It just hasn't all come together for him and this is another kick to the groin. With that time table, best case he's back by mid October, worst case around the time of the Atlantis trip.

5. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
    That puts his return in October/November. It'll be really difficult (IMO), for him to get acclimated with his teammates and the confidence of the coaching staff to get some significant playing time. Now the backcourt, which was already paper thin with depth, is even thinner. Maybe Ari's right and we do seem some bursts of Bennett or Aldridge in there to give Dunham or Barlow a quick break.

Another possibility is to rotate Jones over to guard and bring in Martin to play the 3. Who knows. Either way, it's a tough blow for him.

6. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
    His previous injury was a knee, so I don't think this is necessarily a chronic problem that they should have known about. He is not eligible for a medical redshirt since he did use it up at IU.

7. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Why would we red-shirt him? He'll be healthy by the start of the season.

As long as he stays in shape and stays involved with practices, this shouldn't be a huge issue for a veteran player.

8. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,739
    We were probably going to have to give Jones some run at the point anyway, but now yes, he is in the guard rotation for sure to begin. By my count we now have 9 scholarship players to start the year. Jesus lord heavenly Moses.

9. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,780
    Zak Keefer ‏@zkeefer 1m
    Austin Etherington says he hurt his foot trying to block a shot in an open gym two weeks ago. MRI last Friday revealed torn ligament.

10. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
    Duplicate post to UDDawg's.

11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,241
    And some ppl thought Etherington had the lateral quickness to play the 2 having recovered from a broken patella (kneecap med lingo); now this…

12. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,994
    He's not eligible so it's a non-factor (thanks ID), but injuries like this tend to linger and it's hard to stay in shape when the feet are affected.

Either way, it's a blow to this team's bench.

13. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
    I don't even look at it as an issue of staying in shape. If he's out 12 weeks and is able to come back basically right at the start of fall practice, probably not a huge deal, but if it's until November, that's a month that he won't be practicing with the team in front of the coaches to give them the opportunity to figure out where he fits best at. It's also a month that he doesn't get to learn the defensive and offensive systems, both of which he'll be in his first year of. He's a veteran basketball player, but he's still new to Butler, and unlike a lot of transfers over the years, he doesn't have an entire year to learn how Butler plays, so any time missed has a greater potential to impact his learning curve and the team itself.

Certainly no reason to panic, but it's a cause for some concern if he ends up towards the 16 week recovery period vs. the 12.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,739
    And with torn ligaments in the foot (trust me, my feet are F'd forever) 16 weeks is probably more likely. Getting thrown right into the mix isn't ideal. Regardless of team, but especially Butler. You hope for a full and quick recovery, but this isn't the news we needed right now.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Agree, Austin is a big guy with a frame somewhat similar to Chrabascz. This will hurt us on the glass too. We're really going to need one of the freshmen to play strong off the bench while he's out.

16. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Etherington's been cleared to return to practice, per Michael Pointer at the Star.

That's good news if it means he will be ready to contribute by the start of the season.

17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Good article on Etherington in the FW Sentinel.

18. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
  19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
  20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    What do you expect out of Etherington? I literally have no idea what to expect given he is coming off the foot injury. Best case scenario? He stays healthy....spells Dunham some...plays solid D and hits an occasional 3?