Avery Woodson - Transfer Guard

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,946
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,244
    On paper, he was slightly more efficient than Dunham on the offensive side of the ball last year...121.7 offensive rating for Woodson, 121.0 for Dunham.

However on defense, Woodson was at 100.5 where as Dunham was 108.4 (lower is better). Woodson would have been our best perimeter defender last season...

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,546
    Very impressive. (though, of course, you take 121 at Dunham's usage over 121.7 at Woodson's low usage. But it's impressive nonetheless.) Where do you get your defensive efficiency numbers? Sounds like this guy can shoot the lights out and is a solid defender.

WE NEED THIS GUY.

4. firedupkaren

Money:
    $4,244
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/butler/2016.html

5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,559
    BU's done OK with players named Avery.

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $700
    Sorry gents, I've been in meetings all day in Nashville, on road back (not driving) and catching up on all of this. Here's the local scoop pm Woodson, as has been said, very good shooter. Plays a little longer than 6'2. Very active and a very good athlete. Defensively, marginal. Good when he's locked in, pitiful and couldn guard a fridge at times. The ability is there. But, when you play for a buffoon the rest of the team has quit on the last two years, it's a little harder to gage his efforts/skills in that department. But the kid can be good on defense with the right coaching and situation. It really intrigues me because he's got hella skills. He would be the best guard on the team (Kelan will be a wing) instantly.

The perfect scenario would be nailing he, Peters and Gordon. Then, we can start talking about a ranked squad.

7. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    We need to really nab Woodson, Gordon is getting sniffed around in boys that don't play in our playground and I now believe he will not be coming here if these reports are true. I'm talking IU and Nova. Memphis is back in the mix too, although that's such a dumpster fire I can't see them being relevant. The other two...very much so. I hope we nail a Woodson commitment this weekend. Would be huge.

8. firedupkaren

Money:
    $4,244
    You can't believe everything you read on twitter...

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    Of course not. But, in the situation we are in, you also don't want to be caught with your pants down and only 10 scholarship players, a couple who we have literally zero idea what to expect, and a couple others that we know what to expect from (mediocrity). So, if it's me, and it's probably knee jerk and that's ok, if Woodson shows interest, I try to nail it down and tell Gordon to suck it. I mean, you're more than welcome, but if all of the sudden others are sniffing around and you're going to listen...look dude I have a 2016-2017 roster to put together and I just lost two guys for it, I got to do what's right for me. Plus, Woodson is better anyway.

10. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,785
    Really, you would tell a possible four year starter to "suck it", to bring in this guy for a single season. When did Woodson become Magic Johnson ?

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    I do, yes, if I have someone who is better and ready to commit right then and there. 1. It shows me confidence (and others) that CH is trying to put together the best roster he can and 2. It also puts pressure on Gordon. Double edged sword, sure, but do you (any of us) want to wait around while other big dogs are taking shots at him? I don't. Plus, with Baldwin as a Soph and Washington (allegedly) coming in, in 2017, the back court will be more than fine. I want both, but I do not hesitate on Woodson, if I think I have a shot, just to wait around on Gordon and let others get in his head.

12. firedupkaren

Money:
    $4,244
    I don't think anyone is waiting on anyone. Where are you getting that?

I fully expect Woodson will get an offer on Saturday when he visits (I just hope he makes it to campus after his VCU visit on Thursday).

Even if Gordon commits on Friday, I think we'll be offering Woodson on Saturday.

13. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,785
    Exactly, this isn't an either or situation. It's only a single year commitment to Woodson and the schollie would likely be pocketed for 17 anyway. I also don't think he is better than Gordon.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  14. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $955
    Avery woodson

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 7m7 minutes ago Ross Township, PA
    Butler will host '17 @NMHbasketball guard Andrew Platek this weekend; Memphis grad-transfer Avery Woodson will be on campus for an official

15. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $515
    Any update on Strus or Woodson's visits (former with BU latter with VCU)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,546
    Saw somewhere in the Twitterverse where Ole Miss was looking to get him on campus soon. Could be tough to beat - he's from MS.

Also saw where he was quoted as saying that VCU's facilities amazed him.

18. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $515
    With Woodson now visiting Ole Miss, I have a hard time seeing him here. The time was this weekend for him to commit. Hope I'm wrong. Would probably start if we move Savage to PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    If he gets there (still a question, at least down here, he's considering them) I do bet he commits there. Can take all the shots, slide right into Moody's spot, has a decent big (Saiz) and a brand new beautiful arena. I really wanted him in a Butler Uniform, but my guess is (and this is purely guessing) that he wants to be the starter at the two. That may or may not happen here, but no way were our coaches going to commit to that, whereas Kennedy, to get a good Memphis product and rub it in Memphis' anus, would. Plus, there are a few Memphis guys already on the roster, he may be comfortable with them (Heymen, Fitzpatrick-Dorsey, Brooks-transfer from Southwest)...if this comes to be I do bet that's where he ends up. Which, sucks but if he has to go anywhere else, may as well be Ole Miss (selfishly).

20. firedupkaren

Money:
    $4,244
    Cullen Neal just committed to Ole Miss. Bet that removes Woodson from considering there...