Avery Woodson - Transfer Guard

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Apr 4, 2016.

1. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,157
    Nice work Holt and staff

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,995
    Well jeez, the sky just up and stopped falling. Damn, that was a close one. Thought we were goners.

3. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,819
  4. DawgsFreak25

DawgsFreak25 Member

Money:
    $14
    Avery woodson

I know nothing about him. Will he be able to back up T. Lewis at PG?

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,425
    First of all, to those taking pot shots, go for it, my OM sources were wrong on this one. I only repeated what I was told and it seemed other teams in the BE were adding players (Teams we'll compete with for positioning in the conference) while we seemed rather quiet. Plenty of others expressed concerns, but, I guess I'm the easy target. Get after it.

Saying that, I was in a meeting when this broke and I about burst. I am thrilled. This is exactly what we needed, another big time shooter and a guy who can average double digits in our system, help break presses, play on the ball some etc. This news is huge. Big ups for getting him to commit. You can't say how big this news is. Now, we know what we have in the back court/on the wings and don't have to sit wondering if others can play at this level or will have an impact. This kid will. In fact, he should start IMO. Move Martin to the 4 and have one of C or Wideman coming off the bench. Would be a fire packed lineup. This is such great, great news for Butler. Finally. I'd love one more, but if not the team just got so much better. I am thrilled.

Defensively-has promise but playing for Pastner it's just hard to tell. Motivation, schemes, passion etc...many of his players way underachieved. So, I would say athletically he can play with the 2s and maybe even some 3s in this league in a man to man, and will really do well in the little moments we go zone. He'll be ok. He won't blow you away, but he'll be decent.

This really is great news. Just a huge addition to what was going to be a meh team. Now I say we're middle of the pack at worst, top 4 possibly. Welcome aboard, son, we're happy to have you.

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    Defensively, Woodson was one of the worst on Memphis' team. Having said that, just in terms of pure numbers, his defensive efficiency numbers would have been 2nd best on Butler's team last season, only behind Wideman.

Keep in mind this does not take strength of schedule into account, and Memphis' was about 80 spots worse than Butler's. Overall though, Memphis team defensive efficiency on kenpom, which does take into account SOS was still 60 spots ahead of Butler, so he at least won't make the defense worse than what it was last year, and likely will still be a net improvement in that area.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  7. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    Huge get....very much needed after some of the recent news. HUGE!

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,888
    Agree, can't say enough about how bad we need shooters with Kellen graduating. Great sign & work from the staff. Welcome Avery.

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,425
    In theory, yes, on the ball he's comfortable and MUCH longer than Lewis, so he may see some time there in spots. I think Savage would be the better alternative. Woodson is very athletic and can stroke it from deep. He'll be an immediate asset to help in many areas. Great get and good for him for getting the hell out of Memphis.

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,199
    Although he isn't a point guard hopefully Peeps has gotten off the ledge for at least a few days.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $218
    Hearing Avery is joining Butler, I had to go back a few pages to look at the progression of emotions on this thread. OMG, it is hilarious. We may be a middle of the pack BE program, but our fanaticism is approaching AWESOME levels!

I'm surprised a Xanax ad hasn't popped up the site!

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,199
    Glad to get Avery as we need another shooter. However I don't see him starting over Martin, Savage, Chrabs or Wideman or Lewis unless Savage is the point guard which is quite possible.
    If Savage is the point then Woodson could be the two.

13. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $160
    I thought about commenting today saying "I feel like this is going to be a good week for Butler Basketball" and this happens. I should post random thoughts more often like Butlerfan does haha

14. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Member

Money:
    $3,084
    Coach isn't afraid to go with a big point guard. I think you nailed the starting 5 next year, and depending on how Woodson/Lewis/Savage/Baldwin play, that rotation could significantly change. Regardless, I like the depth that foursome provides. Good day to be a Bulldog!

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,199
    Assuming Fowler comes along and Brunk is ready we will be deeper than I can remember. Going at least eight deep should not be a problem. It seems to me the staff is more focused on shooters than bigs or point guard which may indicate they are finished for this year.

16. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,784
    I could be wrong, but I kinda expect this guy to have a Zach Hahn/Nick Zeisloft role for this team next year. I really doubt he starts.

17. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,355
    I'm kind of thinking back up as well, but it's so hard to project when his competition is a bunch of other players who have never played for Butler either. Regardless it feels a whole lot better knowing there is some room for error now and we don't need 60 minutes out of some combination of Savage/Baldwin/McDermott

18. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,784
    Yup. Still a really good off-season pickup for us. Really fills a need.

19. But61ler

But61ler Member

Money:
    $44
    Welcome Avery Woodson. From all of his Twitter he is very religious

20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,569
    Let's move this guy to the "Stickies".

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app