Barry Collier contract extension through 2024

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerProf, Apr 3, 2019.

1. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $68
  2. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $116
    I think he has done a great j0b and am happy to see this.

3. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $154
    IMO, not a problem. He more than deserves it for the job he has done.

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    Without more information, it's tough to evaluate his choices specifically vs. decisions where the president/board, etc. is tying his hands. Overall, it's hard to say he doesn't deserve to be on the job as long as he wants it. It's rare for a school to ever be able to change its level of competition. Butler has, and he's been a big part of it.

On the other hand, and especially considering he oversees a diverse department of an educational institution, I could certainly go without the eagerness to associate with the xenophobic VP and the twitter favoriting of right wing garbage, but that's just me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    fdr, ButlerProf, Mad_Dawg 48 and 6 others like this.
  5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Can"t we keep politics out of this discussion?

BU_NeonHat likes this.
  6. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Awwwwwwwwwwww, is someone triggered?

nindiana likes this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    I suppose I am generally bothered when people dislike other humans because they think their religion says they should, and not because of something they’ve done, particularly when that person is an elected official in a constitutionally secular state. And yes, I’d prefer people who represent Butler to feel the same.

As hard as I try, I guess I’ll never be as tough as THE enforcer.

fdr, DawgsMD, jkcdawgs and 4 others like this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    Tell Barry that.

fdr, ButlerProf, jkcdawgs and 7 others like this.
  9. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Good move.

If Jordan can't right this ship though in another year or two, I think it's time for the program to pony up and land a proven head coach though (Matta, Alford, etc.).

10. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    What would qualify Alford as “proven”??? Jeez, what a horrible take.

11. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $154
    Division 1 record of 509-269 (.654), oh, but most of those were at MoSt & NM, right...no. High major record 276-169 (.620).

I'm not a big fan of Steve Alford's coaching, but to call him unproven is uneducated. If you're looking for 30 win seasons, that coach left for the Celtics years ago.

Hinkle Magic2 likes this.
  12. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $749
    Only took seven posts to de-rail the thread. Butler as a school would be years behind without Barry and the success of the basketball team. Everybody on campus should kiss their feet for all of those new buildings.

BU_NeonHat likes this.
  13. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Also undefeated in covering up rapes.

BU_NeonHat, jkcdawgs and Tentozen like this.
  14. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,241
    Theoretically if Barry were to complete his new contract, how old would he be at the end?

15. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,169
    I'll buy Matta, but I'll pass on Alford. Matta's high major record: 337-123 (.733), conference 150-78 (.658); Alford's high major conference record was 116-102 (.532), and he padded his record in a very mediocre Pac-12. Since 04-05 (Matta's first season at OSU), Alford has 9 NCAA appearances (in 15 seasons) with 3 Sweet 16's. Matta has 9 appearances (in 13 seasons), with 1 runner-up, another Final Four, an Elite Eight, and 2 Sweet 16's. So Alford made it past the first weekend 33% of the time, and Thad did it 56% of the time. During that same time period, Butler had 10 NCAA appearances with 4 different coaches, with 2 runner-ups (Stevens) and 3 Sweet 16's (Lickliter, Stevens, Holtmann), all with a fraction of the budget of either school. Given the resources that UCLA threw at him and the basketball program, it is pretty easy to say that the on-court product didn't live up to the hype. Alford is a great recruiter, but is average at best with translating those results into W's.

Shimmy, dippper61 and Tentozen like this.
  16. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    Or alternatively you could grow-up................

17. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    Really? You're giving a pass on that?? In what world do you live in, that all of that is ok??

Tentozen and NCJon like this.
  18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    Perhaps one day I will mature and care less about humans who aren't like me.

jkcdawgs and Tentozen like this.
  19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,738
    I simply dislike all humans the same. I have no basis, just hate people.

20. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    Perhaps one day you will mature and realize that distilling politics into a simple, comic book, good vs. evil format isn't something thoughtful adults do.