Barry Collier contract extension through 2024

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerProf, Apr 3, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,881
    Tell that to cnn...

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Hinkle’s the most consistently thoughtful poster we have here.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

shoeevv likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    jkcdawgs likes this.
  4. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    What a terrible take.

You don't get the head coaching job at UCLA if you're unproven.

There's a difference between 'proven' and 'championship pedigree'. The latter which was never stated. Try harder.

You can say what you want about Alford, but yes, he's proven, much like Howland and maybe even Dixon [we'll wait on that last one] were (are). They've proven they can win their conference and at least some March Madness games. No one said he was championship caliber here, bud.

If that were the case, we'd be limiting ourselves to the likes of Coach K, Roy Williams, Self, Coach Cal, Izzo, and Jay Wright.

Hopefully, you aren't a Butler grad. "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son."

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  5. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $770
    69 or 70.

6. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $770
    I think you meant Tucker Carlson

Tentozen likes this.
  7. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,990
    Oh man, you called me bud! Internet fight won!

The fact of the matter is the only conference he ever won is the Mountain West, he was just fired for under-performance (drastic, literally anyone should be successful at UCLA). He was there for SIX years and the best he did was make it to the sweet 16...while also missing the tournament twice. So yeah, he got the job, but was obviously unqualified. To top it off he's a documented scumbag. He's the exact opposite of anything Butler would ever consider.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Sounds like you have a very limited grasp on Christianity and religion in general.

Have you ever met Barry? To insinuate he dislikes people because he leans a certain direction politically and/or follows a certain religion is absolutely hilarious.

Your last sentence is correct though.

nindiana likes this.
  9. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,986
    It’s time for joliebeth to post some logic into this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

BU_NeonHat and NCJon like this.
  10. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    Couldn't you say Brad Stevens only won the Horizon League? Seems like a pretty petty way to belittle good coaches, especially guys like Gregg Marshall, Rick Byrd, and even Mark Few. (and no I'm not saying Alford is Brad Stevens for the ignorant who can't handle a simple analogy).

He won the Pac-12's Conference Tournament in 2013-14 and made a Sweet 16 with UCLA, making the NCAA tournament 4 out of 6 seasons. He made the tournament 4 out of 6 seasons with New Mexico State.

I'm not even an Alford fan, but to say he's "unproven" is asinine. Compared to who? Coach K?

I forgot we're such a blue blood program.

11. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,301
    @Hinkle was clearly referring to our vice president, who has repeatedly used his (misguided) understanding of the Gospel as a cudgel. Few things make me angrier than people who profess faith in one breath and then clearly show a misunderstanding of the Gospel in the next.

Barry Collier has been an excellent athletic director. His public support of people whose worldview and track record is antithetical to his work as an athletic director is surprising. Perhaps that is a sign of how secure he is in his position.

Few university employees would get the leeway to "like" or support some of the things on social media that he has, though, because they are counterproductive to creating an inclusive environment.

It'd be nice if we could talk basketball here without the politics, but the way Collier weighs in in social media is what opens the door, not any particular poster's response to that.

fdr, dawgs2014, GoodDawgs and 6 others like this.
  12. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,990
    You’re the one who suggested he coach Butler. I didn’t compare him to anyone. He’s clearly a very mediocre college basketball coach with a very exciting name. That is all.

Tentozen likes this.
  13. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    If mediocre is making the NCAA 4 out of 6 seasons with New Mexico State, you must have a pretty high bar for what's good.

14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    New Mexico not New Mexico St.

firedupkaren likes this.
  15. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $539
    What a terrible take.

16. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $209
    If this is still the Barry Collier AD extension thread then:
    Yes he deserves and earned the extension.

17. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    Who cares. It doesn't make a difference to the debate.

When a poster tries discrediting a coach because he won in a non-power conference, when our own program boasted Brad Stevens, it's hilarious.

18. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    Probably that other guy's burner account. Let's actually debate a point instead of being a blockhead.

19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Steve Alford is just a guy. Same thing as Bruce Weber or Cuonzo Martin.

They’ll have some good years, but nothing really inspiring.

Tentozen likes this.
  20. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,676
    I believe that Steve Alford IS a "proven" basketball coach. In my opinion, he has proven that he is a mediocre coach at best. From both a coaching and personality perspective, Steve Alford would be a terrible choice and fit for Butler, in my opinion. I also suspect that very few basketball minds would agree that he is a good coach (in my opinion, again). He can recruit (at a primo school like UCLA), yes; but coach, no. A person can talk numbers ( e.g., NCAA appearances, Sweet 16's) which are only OK, but he has consistently under produced with the very top talent he has signed, in a middling league. Furthermore, just watching how his teams play year in year out says a lot about how good of a coach/teacher he is (read: isn't). Personally, if we had an opening a week before the season started and Alford offered to coach for free, I would hope Barry would say, "No thanks."

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019