Barry Collier contract extension through 2024

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerProf, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,648
    Beard was not a name brand when he went to UALR.

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,256
    The point is let's have a national coaching search. It's time...yet it probably won't happen under Barry.

dippper61 and willisbrown like this.
  3. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,859
    Uhhh yeah not true.

estar20dawg likes this.
  4. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,506
    For some reason, I completely forgot he coached under Knight and thought he was just a Texas guy. I'll take the L on that one.

5. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $1,859
    I love that we're hypothetically discussing a national coaching search when I'd bet my lunch money Butler won't be searching for a coach for a long time.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,980
    My pick when Holt left was Shrewsberry. Regardless of whether LaVall gets things rolling, I’ll always wonder what he could’ve done. It’s hard to imagine the value being Stevens’ right hand man for so long brings to your coaching acumen. He is also an Indiana (and Indianapolis) guy through and through.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown likes this.
  7. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,711
    I was always told that an athletic director should have three note cards in his top desk drawer with names to call when replacing a football or basketball coach.

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,256
    This isn't hypothetical. It's the same discussion we had after Brandon was hired less than a week after Brad left.

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,682
    The only reason you would keep your lunch money is if Barry doesn't have the stones to can LaVall. Which, I can unfortunately see. Way too many factors that would cause people to lose their minds. But, we have seen nothing that screams or even talks to us he can control a team/sideline as a top tier conference coach. He needs a mass amount of talent to play his style and survive tough games, where the talent can out duel the coaching. We have seen nothing to prove he can do that. Now, here we stand, two openings, maybe more, where he can very much make over this roster with a couple of impact signings...if he fails to do so, there is literally no reason to have hope we'll see much more than we did this year.

Butler has trended downward since Holt left. You can't argue that. They underachieved in 2017-2018 and flopped like a dying fish last season. If that trajectory keeps up in 2019-2020, there has to be a move made and a real, national coaching search. Big time programs make tough, big time moves. Butler has yet to show that even with their move into the Big East. It's time to see it if this keeps up. With that schedule next season and a meh roster...lord have mercy it's going to be ugly unless LJ can pull a couple monster sized rabbits out of the hat in the transfer market. Otherwise we're a .500 or worse team again in 2019-2020. Bank it.

Baddog and dippper61 like this.
  10. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,427
    Is Matta even a consideration? I thought there were some health issues that contributed to him stepping down at OSU.

11. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $1,859
    Do you know what hypothetical means? How can you have a coaching search when you have a coach?

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,256
    I know exactly what hypothetical means. Just because there is a coach doesn't mean they won't leave or be replaced. Do you think LJ will keep his job if we're under .500 in '19-'20? I don't.

13. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,682
    Hopefully not. And it looks to be the case, or right around .500.

14. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $1,859
    Yes, I think he should and I think he will. I’ll be frustrated if we’re .500 again but I also think continuity is important. We can’t keep switching coaches and not become DePaul like you all fear. LaVall isn’t as horrible as most of you assume.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,256
    I think he would keep his job too but that wouldn't make me think he should. 3 of his first 4 seasons would be losing records. I think 3 years at any school can determine the level of recruits and player development. Let's hope we don't have to discuss it a year from now.

16. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $1,859
    He took over a pretty terrible roster at UWM. I’m not gonna judge him on that. Don’t think I believe it’s all rainbows and butterflies with LaVall. He has a lot of room to grow. But I also recognize bad seasons will happen. Jay Wright went 52-46 in his first three years at Nova. He went 13-19 in his 11th season there. It happens. And I think we can all agree we were in the bottom half of the league in terms of talent this season. Giving up and starting over cause you’re impatient can be more detrimental. Butler needs to give LaVall a fair chance to build a program. This is his first true recruiting class. I want to see a couple more because I think he’ll be a plus recruiter.

NCJon likes this.
  17. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,571

Speculation only, I believe Matta is Barry's ace-in-the-hole. He is living back in Indiana now, rumored, on the very same street as Barry (I don't know if that is true or not, but I heard it.) Also heard his wife (also a Butler grad) wants to stay here now. Sadly, LaVall appears to be in over his head. Way underachieved his first year (14 losses with that roster?) and this past season speaks for itself. Ugly, undisciplined basketball. At the very minimum, I think Jordan needs to make the tournament next year to keep his job. Transfers or other roster changes ain't going to help that much. What we witnessed from this past Butler team had much more to do with coaching than it had to do with who was on the roster. A major coaching style "epiphany" required and I don't see that happening. (By the way, NO ONE is rooting for LaVall's failure. If he can't cut it as a head coach, it is what it is. Minimize the mistake and move on.) With Matta in the wings, a former Butler man, and who wants to coach again, it makes Collier's inevitable (IMO) decision much easier, and much more palatable to the fanbase, after next season. BTW, Matta is in no rush, still getting an OSU paycheck (or did he get a one time settlement?) In any case, doesn't need the money immediately. Not the best situation, but Collier does have a viable out (after another mistaken hire.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,682
    I believe Matta is still getting paid through this next season from OSU. And yes, he is the obvious choice to get this thing turned around, but I'm desperately wanting LJ to grab some talent that's available and give us a glimmer of hope. If he comes through this off season I'll at least have that and maybe it builds positive momentum going forward.

Back to Matta...he really is the perfect play here, if healthy. There are some younger coaches I like, but Matta would be the best to steady this ship, no question.

19. Doc33

Doc33 New Member

Money:
    $13
    I saw Thad Matta at almost every game this year. Hopefully that's a good sign, but it could just be (and probably is) wishful thinking.

20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,869
    His daughter is an undergrad at his alma mater and he’s living back in Indy. Why not go support your school like most of us do, just at a higher profile?

Doubt there’s anything to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.