Barry Collier contract extension through 2024

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerProf, Apr 3, 2019.

1. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,966
    Is Matta even a consideration? I thought there were some health issues that contributed to him stepping down at OSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $574
    Do you know what hypothetical means? How can you have a coaching search when you have a coach?

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,165
    I know exactly what hypothetical means. Just because there is a coach doesn't mean they won't leave or be replaced. Do you think LJ will keep his job if we're under .500 in '19-'20? I don't.

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,013
    Hopefully not. And it looks to be the case, or right around .500.

5. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $574
    Yes, I think he should and I think he will. I’ll be frustrated if we’re .500 again but I also think continuity is important. We can’t keep switching coaches and not become DePaul like you all fear. LaVall isn’t as horrible as most of you assume.

6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,165
    I think he would keep his job too but that wouldn't make me think he should. 3 of his first 4 seasons would be losing records. I think 3 years at any school can determine the level of recruits and player development. Let's hope we don't have to discuss it a year from now.

7. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $574
    He took over a pretty terrible roster at UWM. I’m not gonna judge him on that. Don’t think I believe it’s all rainbows and butterflies with LaVall. He has a lot of room to grow. But I also recognize bad seasons will happen. Jay Wright went 52-46 in his first three years at Nova. He went 13-19 in his 11th season there. It happens. And I think we can all agree we were in the bottom half of the league in terms of talent this season. Giving up and starting over cause you’re impatient can be more detrimental. Butler needs to give LaVall a fair chance to build a program. This is his first true recruiting class. I want to see a couple more because I think he’ll be a plus recruiter.

NCJon likes this.
  8. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $787
    I'm fine with giving him at least next year, but what realistically changes between Year 3 and Year 4 if it's another Big East basement year?

9. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491

Speculation only, I believe Matta is Barry's ace-in-the-hole. He is living back in Indiana now, rumored, on the very same street as Barry (I don't know if that is true or not, but I heard it.) Also heard his wife (also a Butler grad) wants to stay here now. Sadly, LaVall appears to be in over his head. Way underachieved his first year (14 losses with that roster?) and this past season speaks for itself. Ugly, undisciplined basketball. At the very minimum, I think Jordan needs to make the tournament next year to keep his job. Transfers or other roster changes ain't going to help that much. What we witnessed from this past Butler team had much more to do with coaching than it had to do with who was on the roster. A major coaching style "epiphany" required and I don't see that happening. (By the way, NO ONE is rooting for LaVall's failure. If he can't cut it as a head coach, it is what it is. Minimize the mistake and move on.) With Matta in the wings, a former Butler man, and who wants to coach again, it makes Collier's inevitable (IMO) decision much easier, and much more palatable to the fanbase, after next season. BTW, Matta is in no rush, still getting an OSU paycheck (or did he get a one time settlement?) In any case, doesn't need the money immediately. Not the best situation, but Collier does have a viable out (after another mistaken hire.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,013
    I believe Matta is still getting paid through this next season from OSU. And yes, he is the obvious choice to get this thing turned around, but I'm desperately wanting LJ to grab some talent that's available and give us a glimmer of hope. If he comes through this off season I'll at least have that and maybe it builds positive momentum going forward.

Back to Matta...he really is the perfect play here, if healthy. There are some younger coaches I like, but Matta would be the best to steady this ship, no question.

11. Doc33

Doc33 New Member

Money:
    $13
    I saw Thad Matta at almost every game this year. Hopefully that's a good sign, but it could just be (and probably is) wishful thinking.

12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,663
    His daughter is an undergrad at his alma mater and he’s living back in Indy. Why not go support your school like most of us do, just at a higher profile?

Doubt there’s anything to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.
  13. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $234
    Extending Collier is like promoting the captain of the Titanic to admiral after the iceberg

14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,071
    Do shipping companies have admirals?

dawgs2014, Tentozen and DawgsMD like this.
  15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,016
    Ha—maybe you and Willis can get season tickets together—would love to see you guys at Hinkle.

ButlerNut, dawgs2014 and DawgsMD like this.
  16. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,914
    I keep saying that would be one hell of a podcast...

ButlerNut and BoyGeoff like this.
  17. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $787
    From what I read, Matta's health is better, and he turned down Georgia before they offered Crean.

18. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $574
    I’d rather shove needles in my eyes.

godogs91 and DawgsMD like this.
  19. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,914
    Nah, I think it would be hilarious.