Basketball Strategy

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Nov 14, 2019.

1. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,420
    Not sure where this conversation will take us, but thought it might be fun to have one going throughout the season to go more in-depth on X's and O's stuff we might see throughout the season from different teams.

I've mentioned Jordan Sperber on here before. He came out with a pretty interesting video analyzing the prevalence of the "Ice" ballscreen defense strategy.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  2. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,725
    Why is it the 5 usually sets the ball screen? Do teams have other positions set the ball screen?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $19,649
    Everything catches on late in CBB. The NBA has been running that ball coverage for over a decade I believe. I haven’t paid much attention to the NBA lately, but I remember the Derrick Rose era Bulls using that as their primary ball screen coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,736
    CBB doesn’t run as many ball screens as the NBA does... And when they do, it’s the most glaring mismatch in terms of speed and athleticism...

5. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,736
  6. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,420
    Yeah, I saw someone on Twitter say that Coach K learned it from Tom Thibodeau while they were coaching Team USA together.

7. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I wrote a little something about this a few years back on the Maryland game thread (https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index...-terrapins-2-0-11-15.1850/page-14#post-124400). Like Jared mentioned, this is really prevalent in the NBA (although interestingly, despite being one of the better defensive teams over the last 5-10 years, the Pacers still don't do it). It's still working its way down to the college level and the only team I've seen that does it with any consistency is Creighton, though I admittedly don't watch near as much college ball as I used to.