Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    Nored may be a reach for most places, but not for Barry. An NBA assistant coach is a reach, but not a former college assistant with known personal issues that forced him to leave the game altogether just a couple years prior? How about hiring a guy with 1 year of HC experience in which his team was trash? Barry thinks nothing of your traditional notions of what makes a good hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 and willisbrown like this.
  2. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,201
    Hopefully LaVall stays (yes, upping his contract is appropriate).

If he doesn't, I really don't understand the Matta love. One of the reason he was fired from Ohio St is that his recruiting (effort) declined. At Ohio State. Count me skeptical that he would come in and recruit well at Butler given his issues in his latter years at Ohio St.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/201...fall-off-in-recruiting-preceded-mattas-firing

Tentozen likes this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,867
    The fact that names like Graves and Nored are being mentioned is why this makes me more nervous than normal. The head coaching "search" will take 5 minutes, consisting of 3 names, all butler related with either no experience or no success. Just keep kicking the can down the line as per usual.

This thing will need a 100% reboot with a coach who has proven he can build and win.

4. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Active Member

Money:
    $483
    I think if LJ leaves whoever the next coach is will have a lot of work to do. It’ll be challenging to rebuild relationships with the recruits. I think Pedon would be great, he has relationship with current players ha has good recruiting reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. SpartanDawg68

SpartanDawg68 Member

Money:
    $43
    I don’t know why this is the first time I’m seeing Pedon’s name on here

peeps112 and jkcdawgs like this.
  6. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    My thought is sooner or later you are going to have to break this cycle so just go out and find the best coach.

dippper61 and willisbrown like this.
  7. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,610
    Michigan with Jordan is how we were with him before his hire, hes not quite ready to pull the trigger on, but definitely good enough that you dont spurn him for down the line. I dont expect it this time, but if their new coach doesnt pan out in 3 or 4 years and LJ has some more success here, watch out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba and halftime_floor_sweeper like this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,867
    If it's Pedon or Shrews, I'm ok. Not thrilled, but at least there is a little hope there. Other Butler associated names that are available (I do not believe Thad is) would be a disaster.

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,867
    Yessir. And truthfully, what would be a better time than now when you are facing a true program rebuild? An outside of the program search is my first choice, then Shrews or Pedon, but outside search is ahead by a bunch.

10. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $440
    So few facts are known at this point and the real and "fake" news media are playing guessing games as to who it will be. Here are a few FACTS: I have personal knowledge that Coach Beilein and BU coaches Jordan and Meyer remained close and spoke often. When the BU coaches came to my area to scout recruits (Beilein is from here and has a large family presence in Buffalo) BU coaches on the trip told me coach B told them all the restaurants to go to especially for "Buffalo Wings". It's logical to assume Coach B will have some input in the decision. FACT: The Michigan AD, Warde Manuel who I also knew when he was here rebuilding the UB program, was the AD at Michigan during LJ's & JM's time there. JM has longer Michigan tenure than LJ though WM says he requires head coaching experience. When LJ was first mentioned as a replacement for "Boltman" I recall comments on this board saying LJ would "bolt" to Michigan if the opportunity ever came available. Also that he might have left Michigan under advisement to get some head coaching experience. I think it would not be a reach to think LJ would be offered and JM would follow. Let's add another name to the BU list if this happens: Coach TJ.

11. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
  12. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $286
    Bryce Drew. Not close for who would be available

13. bu2013

bu2013 Active Member

Money:
    $238
    I've assumed you were like 12 for a while, think this post confirmed that

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99 and Tentozen like this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,467
    Everyone rags on Barry's lack of coaching searches, but they have produced coaches that have been poached by the Celtics, Ohio State, and possibly Michigan. So maybe something is working?

Denverdawg, fdr, Nville Dog and 10 others like this.
  15. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $455
  16. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,855
  17. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $436
    This board literally went from fire LaVall to omg I hope he stays just because Michigan wants him now...

This isn't rocket science. You don't give him a raise if Michigan offers. If he goes, he goes. Not the end of the world. If he stays, great! He has about 2 years to prove himself.

bumba, bwesson15, dippper61 and 5 others like this.
  18. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,031
    Sounds like he's making a case for LJ to the fanbase.

LJ was in Ann Arbor yesterday.

Butler BoT meeting this afternoon.

There might not be white smoke emanating from Hinkle, but you can piece together the puzzle.

Of course, if the AD was in Illinois yesterday, why was LJ in Ann Arbor? I think some of this info isn't adding up, but time will tell.

19. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,031
    It's like this tweet is a direct response to the "LJ was in Ann Arbor yesterday" speculation.

Anyone able to confirm the BoT meeting today? Or was that just more smoke?

Although, I'll be honest, LJ does look like he's had a couple of interesting days. Hmm...and yes, we've now entered the let's dissect physical appearance in a candid picture level of speculation...haha

This is fun...sad and make me want to cry, but it beats arguing about a player who will never play for Butler again and his impact on the season that was...

20. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    Bryce Drew would be a terrific hire, but we know it will never happen.