Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $258
    Who? In 2017, Butler ranked 87th nationally in program spend for basketball and DEAD last in Big East. Sorry, but our facilities are 2nd rate to all Power Conferences and many non-Power Conference teams. And, no one comes out of the womb a Butler Baby, meaning there is not a ravenous fan base to help with recruiting and brand recognition. Hell, I saw too many IU, PU & ND sweatshirts walking through campus a year ago. So please tell me which established, program building Big-Boy coach is going to drop everything to earn less, have lesser facilities, lesser brand recognition and fans that expect sweet 16'ings all on a tight budget?
    IMO, this is why we go back to the BU well and non-HC'es. Yes, IT IS FRUSTRATING! But, if Jordan leaves, please don't just tell me who we should call. Tell me who we should call and will actually have interest in what we have to sell?
    Matta & Bryce Drew & Tim Miles are probably the highest we can shoot.
    2nd tier Pendon, Nored, Groce and I'm sure their are others

Sidd Finch likes this.
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,047
    How anyone thinks Bryce Drew would be a good hire is truly mind blowing. Is it possible to fail harder (on the court) in a three year period at a high major than he *just* did?

It doesn’t matter, because it’ll be Thad or Shrews if Lavall leaves. But that argument is one of the more perplexing I’ve seen on this board.
    Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerBoyz, fdr, joliebeth23 and 7 others like this.
  3. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Active Member

Money:
    $402
    So was Lavall in Michigan yesterday or not? I’ve seen he was and he wasn’t lol

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,047
    Pretty sure he was not.

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  5. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Member

Money:
    $1,778
    Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell does BoT mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  6. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,994
    Board of Trustees...someone on here intimated that there was a board meeting scheduled for this afternoon. No confirmation though.

7. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,994
    Today's update in flight tracking...

This flight left from Oakland airport this morning and lands in Indy momentarily with an immediate flight back to Oakland airport. I know the Detroit metro area and this would be an odd airport for UM to use.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N262GA/history/20190515/1430Z/KIND/KPTK

Also, the owners of the jet is this company in Reading PA.

http://www.ptscsg.com/

I have not been able to find any connection between them and the University of Michigan.

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,047
    It was @shoeevv who reported this, and I'm pretty sure was referring to the Michigan BoT (Board of Trustees but also maybe Board of Thrones) - not Butler. He had earlier stated that he was connected to a UM mega donor and then said there was a meeting Wednesday afternoon with the board at 3:55. In addition, shoeevv often has knowledge about Michigan-related happenings (e.g., w/r/t Scooby Johnson), so pretty sure that's where his ties are and what he'd know about, and pretty sure he's referring to UM's board.

But come back, shoeevv, and clear this up!

9. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Member

Money:
    $1,778
    Gotcha. I knew it was something like that but couldn’t figure the acronym out for the life of me

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,994
  11. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,994
    Ah well, that makes more sense. I imagine the board meeting would have been called at UM regardless, unless they only convene to give their blessing on the hire/buyout/package, etc. Then, uh oh!

12. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,195
    looks like Brey and White are not likely candidates

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    There are certain coaches that like their lives the way they are- Mark Few and Mike Brey are two.

14. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $411
    The following is what Kerry Miller with Bleacher Report had to say about LJ:

1. "If the Wolverines don't feel like handing a current assistant this job, perhaps they'll give a former assistant a look.

Heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time a Butler coach got the call to the Big Ten. Thad Matta got his start with Butler before eventually finding his way to Ohio State. Todd Lickliter went straight from the Bulldogs to the Iowa Hawkeyes. Chris Holtmann was the man who replaced Matta at Ohio State. And maybe now it's LaVall Jordan's turn to make the leap.

Jordan was on Lickliter's coaching staff for eight seasons before joining forces with John Beilein at Michigan from 2010 to '16. Prior to taking a head coaching job at Milwaukee and transitioning to Butler one year later, Jordan helped mold guards like Trey Burke, Derrick Walton, Caris LeVert, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Darius Morris into legitimate NBA prospects.

He knows Beilein's system as well as anyone, and he could be the best candidate to keep this program from going through any sort of transitional rebuild.

If you're a Michigan fan, don't let Jordan's career sub-.500 head coaching record bother you. He inherited a full-fledged disaster at Milwaukee, forced to replace seven of the eight leading scorers from a program in shambles. While things weren't quite that dire when he went to Butler, the Bulldogs did lose four of their seven leading scorers before hiring him. And he still got that team to the NCAA tournament.

Give Jordan at least half of a starting deck and he'll prove he can lead this team."

15. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,414
    I just came here to rant about this. It's impossible to overstate just how bad that Vanderbilt under Drew was this past year in relation to the talent on the court. LaVall's 18-19 Butler team would not have gone 0-18 in the SEC. (They still might have finished last...but not like that.)

16. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $286
    I mean, considering Butler won two games against SEC teams this past season, I'd say it's pretty concrete they wouldn't have gone 0-18.

bmradio99 and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  17. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $251
    Mark, I am uninformed on Ronald Nored's personal issue. What were or are they? Thanks.

18. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    I'm quoting this because it was reading this post where I noticed, for the first time, that you are referred to as "Forum Psychiatrist." LOL! It's probably been there for months, if not longer, but I just noticed it. First of all, it sounds like you'll need to see someone yourself if this goes down. Secondly, you'll have to quit your day job to have enough time for individual sessions if LJ goes to Michigan, so practice up on your group session skills.

The dominoes that have fallen adverse to this program we all care so much about, and the absolute worst-case timing of them, over the last 6 years is truly mind-blowing. Please post where and when the first group session is because I'll probably need it.

DawgsMD and Daddysmack like this.
  19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Darius Garland doesn't get hurt and Bryce Drew is still the coach at Vanderbilt. Not saying they weren't justified in firing him or that 0-18 isn't horrific. There was talent on the roster, but some of it didn't live up to expectation (Moyer).

I think Drew's a decent coach and will land on his feet somewhere in a year or two. I'm not clamoring for him in Hinkle, but also think last year was more of a blip than a trend on his record.

20. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    It was a reference to Miller, not Nored.

UDDawg likes this.