Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,354
    Agree, but wouldn't that be on Barry too because it's his hiring decision?

jkcdawgs likes this.
  2. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    If LaVall has/is meeting with Michigan, surely we would hear some firm reporting soon right? Ditto for other candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,354
    You're right, it's sorting out those who see the long term value of Butler versus those who see this as a stepping stone to a better school. It's most certainly a school friendly deal. We're looking for guys like Jay Wright and Mark Few who want to build something here.

4. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $416
    That is the problem. No agent would let his client sign that.

dawgs2014 and DuckOnAModerator like this.
  5. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $710
    It was not a Trusties meeting . My understanding is that it was a major booster call. I was just told they’ve all been told no more comments to anybody regarding the status of the search.

6. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    Where there’s smoke there’s fire. And there’s way too much smoke. This really is all surreal.

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,354
    Agree, or would the agent present BU's side and explain the circumstances? If the coach doesn't want to sign, then he isn't who we're looking for long term.

We had no problem getting inquiries about the HC job when Brad left. Sooner or later the university has to protect our asset from those who don't have BU best intentions in mind long term. I just think this poaching will never stop until something radically out-of-the-box is done beyond hiring alumni and hoping for loyalty.

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    Buyouts to fire and buyouts to leave are often not similar at all. In this case, Butler had all the bargaining power in 2017 as LJ wasn’t going to have any non-Butler HC opportunities for many years. So, the buyout to fire *shouldve* been way lower than the buyout to be hired away. It’s possible the renegotiation after the 2018 season resulted in a lower buyout to leave and higher buyout to fire though.

In any case, it’s just not true that those numbers must or often line up.

9. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,908
    It’s not like there isn’t smoke anywhere else though. Per 247 Shaka Smart is the latest name that has gotten some traction. A guy like that is definitely getting the job over LaVall if they can get him. Here’s to hoping the Michigan search goes extremely well and they don’t have to venture too far down the list.

10. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    Yeah, I’m just nervous man. Sick of this garbage.

bumba likes this.
  11. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    I agree but what kind of buyout are we talking to dissuade the likes of Michigan (especially considering the salary of a LaVall would be lower than top tier candidates)?

12. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,894
    Do you actually think Barry is in charge of writing all of the coaches contracts?

DuckOnAModerator and Daddysmack like this.
  13. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $710
    Knowing something about Michigan and what’s necessary to succeed there, I think Cooley is the the perfect candidate. He’s a proven coach, understands how to work a room of big donors, doesn’t cheat, and gets along with the media. I can’t figure out why he’s not getting any traction.

14. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,973
    I don’t get this... the answer should be yes.

He’s obviously not drafting the language (some Butler general counsel is), but he should be dictating the terms.

If not what on earth is he doing? Might as well make me AD then.

peeps112 likes this.
  15. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,894
    It’s not HIS decision on what the highest paid employee on campus gets to make or be bought out at. That is 1000% a decision the BoT votes/dictates.

DuckOnAModerator likes this.
  16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,973
    Ok, that’s fair.

17. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,967
    Again I think LaVall gets a call and a meeting because of his history with the university but I really think Michigan has the pocketbook to write anyone they want a big check. Then they can go to their big donors and wave the flag. I don’t know that LaVall gets them that traction at this point in his career.

18. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $933
    With Chuck Harris in the fold I now think LJ will stay. The tweet on their official Twitter said he committed to coach LJ and to Butler. Do they usually go out of their way to say he committed to a coach unless it is a blue blood?

19. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $717
    Via Barry’s recommendation...

20. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $416
    I would never let some of you negotiate a contract for me or one of my clients. If the value of the handcuffs is not similar to the value of the parachute, you don't sign the deal.

#60 and dawgs2014 like this.