Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,017
    I got a rumor, I got a rumor.........nah nah nah boo boo

This is as rumory as it gets, from a UM alum's mouth through a nice little message he just sent me on the twitterz. He's pretty spot on and plugged in, but I don't know HOW much to give this...are you ready?????

Michael White said no. Donovan said no. The assistants are NOT under consideration. The three horses right now are...Howard, Smart and.....LaVall. Pretty sure in that order. Howard is getting an interview, depending on that, Smart and our beloved LaVall are up next.

Nothing on other names we've seen babbled around...Cooley, Beard, Willard etc.

jkcdawgs and Pick n Roll Dawgs like this.
  2. BU4lyfe

BU4lyfe Member

Money:
    $55
    Can someone PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING. That is actually news. It’s bedtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.
  3. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    It's also true that coaching stability can start a virtuous cycle. Coaching stability begets better recruitment begets better teams begets higher revenue begets better facilities begets higher overall program cache.

Now that we are in a high major league, we have seen evidence from our last 2 coaches that recruiting picks up after some semblance of coaching stability. I would argue that a perceived 'overpay' of LaVall would be worth it if you could guarantee stability for 5+ years.

joliebeth23 and NCJon like this.
  4. BU4lyfe

BU4lyfe Member

Money:
    $55
    If you search Juwan Howard’s name on twitter there is a picture of him at Ohare. Wasn’t Warde Manuel in Chicago today too?

Pick n Roll Dawgs likes this.
  5. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $842
    Howard would be their first choice over Shaka? That is bad.

6. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $842
    Who is Warde Manuel?

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,017
    Michigan AD

8. BU4lyfe

BU4lyfe Member

Money:
    $55
    Howard also a candidate for timberwolves job. Let’s hope they don’t want him. He’s interviewing there.

9. Pick n Roll Dawgs

Pick n Roll Dawgs Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $196
    Juwan Morgan could play that card that he could do the same thing Penny is doing at Memphis. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got it. If Willis source is right and the order is Juwan shaka then LJ I think on of those two would seal the deal and the 3rd option wouldn’t come up. Shaka might want a change of scenery too

bumba likes this.
  10. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $499
    Now that would be something to see

fdr, peeps112, Delivery Dawg and 11 others like this.
  11. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $699
    NCJ, I think you’re the voice of reason on this board. . . Usually, but Michigan is a way better program/job than your other examples.

12. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Member

Money:
    $175
    Go to sleep. You won’t find any real information on this board just conspiracy theories from tracking airplane flights to and from Indy and speculation as to whether Hink pees sitting down or standing up. Don’t forget to brush your teeth and hopefully you have one of those pillows from the television commercials. Nighty night.

SpartanDawgs and cornette33 like this.
  13. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Indiana isn’t a blue blood, their last title was 1987. Kids in college weren’t even born in the 20th century. Neither is UCLA, that is why Mick Cronin is their coach.

Cincinnati maybe in the 1950s. Nowhere close to a top 25 program.

14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,071
    I hear ya man, and appreciate it. I also think continuing to argue over whether Michigan is a top 10/15/20/25 job will just go further down a rabbit hole. Same with whether Indiana is still a "blue blood." So I won't beat anymore dead horses.

What matters here is Michigan is arguably the one job that could pry LaVall away, much as Boston was the one job that could pry Brad away. (OK, the Lakers probably could have persuaded him, too.)

I always thought Holtmann had his eye on the door, even though I hoped otherwise.

joliebeth23 and shoeevv like this.
  15. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Member

Money:
    $175
    A contestant on the television show, “The Voice.” Pretty good singer. He did a rendition of Barry Manilow’s “Mandy” the other night. He knocked it out of the park. He has been booked to sing the National Anthem at Butler’s home opener next season as part of a duet with Stan Howard.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  16. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $412
    You are assuming my client is in a crappy job, is desperate to leave and therefore has no leverage of their own. If that is the case, do we really want to hire them?

17. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $787
    I think UCLA has lost a lot of its shine. I mean they couldn't give away that job this offseason.

I also don't think Syracuse, Connecticut, or Arizona are clearly ahead of Michigan. I think those programs have fallen off some too.

18. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,383

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    I’m assuming we’re talking about LaVall. UWM is not a very good job.

20. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $412
    No. The original premise floated by bumba was that going forward an easy fix to our coaching turnover issue is to simply increase the contract buyout price to an “absurdly expensive” amount.

My point is that it is not that simple. We are not negotiating in a vacuum and likely do not have all the leverage. Frankly, if we have all the leverage it shows the candidate is desperate and probably not a good hire. Further, if the candidate agrees to such a lopsided deal, it is probably not a good hire.

Bumba later suggested to even the deal out, simply put in different performance clauses. If you have ever tried to write performance clauses, you know it is not that easy.

estar20dawg and dawgs2014 like this.