Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Active Member

Money:
    $397
    Holts tweet made the situation way worse. I think LJ isn’t going anywhere but say he did I don’t think it would be as bad because he’s kept quiet and and also hasn’t had to much success half the board wanted him gone

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

cornette33 likes this.
  2. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

If LJ were to go I would love to see them pursue people who haven a proven record all across the board( recruitment, winning percentage, culture setting, etc). As it was mentioned by tentozen I did advocate for us to pursue Alford. He is a winner where ever he goes. upload_2019-5-18_19-35-30.png I also was advocating for us to pursue Fred Hoiberg. He would have been an amazing fit at Butler as well. Instead we give an extension to a proven loser in regards to coaching. LJ is a phenomenal person based what I have read and seem through interviews. Easy guy to like and root for but horrible coach. I can’t stand his style of play as well. Love and die by the three. Not fun to watch. I miss the old days where there were back door cuts, screens, half court offenses that were poetry to watch. LJ does not have what it takes to be a successful coach in my opinion. He lacks consistency, ability to change from point A-to B on the fly and the ability to recognize what the opposing team is offering and how to use what they are giving him. I hope this answers your question.

Attached Files:

Hank Kimball likes this.
  3. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $397

4. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $397
    Hate to tell you it’s not that easy.

WestLoopDog likes this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    This entire situation reminds me of a lingering festered boil.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    One thing if he did leave Butler would get a large bag of money.

bumba likes this.
  7. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    That’s not what I meant to imply. I think it’s pretty obvious that he is at least interesting in discussing the job though, and I’d think he was crazy if he wasn’t. I would want to hear what they are willing to offer as well.

Daddysmack likes this.
  8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    That’s not what I meant to imply. I think it’s pretty obvious that he is at least interesting in discussing the job though, and I’d think he was crazy if he wasn’t. I would want to hear what they are willing to offer as well.

9. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Worse

bmradio99 likes this.
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,730
    Worse. At least Holt left the program with talent and competitive. LJ would have both sunk the program into last place but then realized that wasn't enough, he had to go Hiroshima on it as well.

On the other hand, part of me wants no part of him (nor should any recruits) unless he's all in. He'd bolt for Michigan in a nano second, he's not all in. Leaves us all in an odd position. Can't tell if I want someone who isn't all in. On the other hand, he leaves and this program dies a quick death with it, which I believe it can and will recover from, but for 2-3 years we'd be a shell, even less than this past year, of what Butler was.

11. Bulldogs260

Money:
    $397
    If Michigan hires a head coach not named Lavall he will probably have success and be there awhile. Unless they swing and totally miss. So Lavall would then be 100 committed for the foreable future. I’d rather have Lavall stay no doubt. Especially with chuck Harris as a great start to 2020

cornette33 and Daddysmack like this.
  12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,730
    I don't know, something icky knowing he just completed the worst coaching job probably in modern history and now would, if offered, hurt this program even more. I just can't get by that fact. I wish it was simple enough, but my loyalty is to this program, and he's working on sinking it.

And then there's the other side, where at this point I/you/most want him to stay to salvage the talent here and what is (maybe) coming in. It's confusing.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  13. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    Willis, the decision has already been made. LVJ is not going anywhere. Chill out ...

willisbrown likes this.
  14. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $280
    I sometimes get very confused with this board. We hate LJ, we love LJ... LJ is proving to be a very good recruiter. I hope we get to give him a few years to see if he can work with that talent. He’s a young head coach, for only the third year of his life he is running the program. He needs time to figure out how to manage all of it (and he’s doing it at a power 6 conference). I just hope we get to watch him grow as a coach on Butler’s sideline. If not, oh well and on to the next coach.

15. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,505

BulldogsFTW and PSUButlerFan like this.
  16. wazthree

Money:
    $2,917
    If LaVall had his heart set on Butler and winning, he would say he isn’t interested in Michigan to show recruits his commitment. Then use this to his advantage, his silence is deafening whether on not if he returns.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  17. wazthree

Money:
    $2,917
    To end the coaching carousel, if LaVall is really interviewing for the Michigan job, it shows he doesn’t want to be at Butler or only until something better comes up. If he doesn’t get it after interviewing, Butler should fire him to make a power move and show they mean business. Then go drop big coin on a new coach.

18. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685
    Your takes are so bizarre and contradictory. The talent Holtmann left Butler with are the same guys you **** on daily. I don't understand.

Holtmann recruits that were still on the roster when LJ took over:

Baldwin
    Jorgensen
    Baddley
    Brunk
    David
    JGB
    Thompson

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  19. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685
    A coach publicly commenting saying they aren't interested in a job they may not be a candidate for would be ridiculous. LaVall's connection to Michigan has been all speculation. You people are crazy.

mwall787 and Bulldogs260 like this.
  20. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $411
    Just curious, if that was the worst coaching job in modern history where does Bryce Drew's 0-18 record fall? I know he lost Garland, but he did have some talent on that team.