Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,943
    There were rumors last night among the Michigan faithful that a coach was inked. I would assume that would have be Cooley. Probably just complete smoke, but it's possible UM made an offer to Cooley and he leveraged the deal with Providence. If that is the case, then I'm not confident in them offering Howard.

2. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,037
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,319
    Done and done.

Back to the regularly scheduled program...recruiting.

4. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,075
    Howard is new UM coach. Have a good day.

mwall787 and Pick n Roll Dawgs like this.
  5. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,943
    Let's hope this is correct. And let's hope that he has a nice, long tenure.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  6. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Member

Money:
    $180
    Danville Bulldog you da man. You called it!

Danville Bulldog likes this.
  7. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,084
    Bran Stark, everybody. The literal three-eyed raven. Never question this man.

8. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,143
    Well hopefully this will be officially over soon. One thing these past 8 days have shown me is just how much love & passion many of us have for the program. I mean we’re north of 1200 posts on Beilein to Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Shimmy, DawgsMD, Tentozen and 3 others like this.
  9. Butler1980

Butler1980 Member

Money:
    $59
    Totally agree. Defense was terrible, the worst in years. One thing you could always count on, year after year, was solid defense. Is there any chance LJ looks for an AC for defense (do we have one now?)? I have to believe that would help the program more than anything else at this point in time.

10. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    I would say lets poach Yak for a defensive AC but 1) we don't have an opening and 2) seems like if he isn't retained he will go to Texas.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  11. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    Obviously we won’t know for several years, but I said at the beginning of this search I thought this would be the case. If Butler has gone to a Sweet 16 or something last year I think LaVall is a lock to be offered the job. It’s crazy how lucky Butler has gotten as a program this century, and we may have just lucked into the best timing possible to have a terrible year.

bwesson15, Shimmy, fdr and 8 others like this.
  12. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    Yeah, I even wonder if Beilein had taken the Pistons head job (last year) when we just won a game in the tourney, if LaVall would have been a top target.

I will be interested to read the backstory here. It seemed like LaVall was mentioned quite a bit but (as far as I can tell) never interviewed. It seemed like Cooley, Howard, and the assistants did. I wonder if that is because the assistants were placed ahead of LaVall, LaVall turned them down, or some other reason. I know a story mentioned that Shaka's and LaVall's buyouts were problematic but I would be shocked if Michigan really wanted someone a buyout would get in their way.

Pick n Roll Dawgs likes this.
  13. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $549
    I find it almost impossible to believe LaVall turned them down; otherwise, he would have been tweeting "It's a great day to be a Bulldog" and talking up the Harris commitment. Instead, it was radio silence.

Edit: I don't fault LJ for the way it went. I'm just saying I doubt he didn't get an interview because he proactively told UM, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    jeff and SpartanDawg68 like this.
  14. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,404
    Damn. I was really hoping we could get an offseason thread to 100 pages.

DawgsMD and Pick n Roll Dawgs like this.
  15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,319
    I think I would have liked to have heard something in favor of Butler as well. Don't go too deep, but something positive or something commented in regards to the Harris recruitment. Getting a top 100 guy is something to brag about. Don't be bashful...let other targets know what you are building and let them know YOU are building it.

16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,059
    I would think he at least had a phone interview and was under serious consideration. Otherwise we wouldn’t know about the prohibitive buyout. As to any tweeting during the search—I’m sure he learned from Holt’s faux pas. As to commenting on Harris—they can’t comment until signed. I suppose he could do some vague tweet, but don’t think he’s done that before—though ACs have in the past.

2xDawg likes this.
  17. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $409
    Anybody want to change their vote on the 'LJ - should he stay or go' thread now? Last chance before we start naming names next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

Daddysmack likes this.
  18. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $414
    It aint over until the fat lady sings.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  19. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,943
    ****. Don’t say that. You’re going to jinx us, aren’t you? Just let dot the i’s and cross the t’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $414
    We all let our guard down with the Team 120 tweet. I think the odds are long that he gets the UM job, but no sigh of relief until it is official.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app