Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,319
    Detroitsportsnation.com is saying it's a done deal with Howard. It'll be very interesting to watch his coaching career unfold at the college level.

Hopefully Zeb despises him :)

2. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    This seems to be true, but this site sources the Miami site. Still no independent confirmation from Michigan's side, including the folks at Freep (https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner) and Athletic (https://twitter.com/BFQuinn). I would feel better once we get a confirmation from this side.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,319
    I saw earlier Baumgardner says it is NOT a done deal yet. All other indications are pointing that way. And no major noise from cbb writers (Goodman, GP, Norlander etc). I guess we wait but I'd like to move on and pronto.

BURph92 likes this.
  4. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,099
    While I agree with your sentiment, there is a relatively strong contingency that thinks Coach Gard will not be coaching Wisconsin for long. Landing the Hauser’s would change that but he has had success to this point almost entirely due to inherited talent (such as Happ). The jury is still out on him - I was raised a die-hard Badgers fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,943
    I won’t feel secure until Beilein names his coaches with the Cavs. Can’t imagine that LJ would bolt for an NBA assistant job, but I’ll breathe easier when that’s all done as well.

Tentozen, bumba and Shimmy like this.
  6. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,433
    Juwan Howard would be a great hire. He should kill it on the recruiting trail.

bumba likes this.
  7. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Howard is the splash hire, and I think he's a guy that can go out there and definitely recruit. Any of the Michigan assistants don't really push the needle as much when competing against Tom Izzo in the state of Michigan. It'll be just whether the X's and O's are there.

8. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $197
    Let's just take a deep breath and watch the St Louis Blues cash their ticket to play for the Cup.

ButlerGoalie and DawgsMD like this.
  9. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $871
  10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    Hope this is true

pjohnsto2003 and Daddysmack like this.
  11. cornette33

Money:
    $871
    Let's get a move on with Scooby and Brown asap!

So during this time I would imagine who ever is the lead recruiter has still been speaking to those two right? Would LJ be staying in contact too?

12. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    I’m guessing the players were just recently told the news. This is from the father of one of the players (and relative of Zeb Jackson I believe).

13. Pick n Roll Dawgs

Pick n Roll Dawgs Active Member

Money:
    $303
    So Zeb probably isn’t decommiting. Not to worried, that situation has the likelihood of being a quinnerly 2.0 a second choice for a reason tweet. Tough situation for both

14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,146
    I find the excitement around Howard fascinating. It does seem to have become a trend to hire former NBA players with little to none college coaching experience. In almost every previous case it hasn't worked out.

Success:
    Dan Majerle
    Fred Hoiberg*

Failure:
    Chris Mullin
    Isaih Thomas
    Clyde Drexler
    Avery Johnson
    Sidney Lowe
    Terry Porter*
    Mark Price*
    Sidney Moncrief*

Jury's still out:
    Penny Hardaway
    Patrick Ewing

Newly hired:
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Mark Madsen
    Juwan Howard.

Penny Hardaway has proven himself to be one heck of a recruiter, but we don't know yet whether he can turn that into a successful team. Certainly talent covers a lot of other weaknesses, so I think he'll do fine. We just don't know yet. He's also a really charismatic guy who was well connected in youth basketball before becoming the Memphis coach.

I'm not convinced that Howard can "be the next Penny." I also think Stack is going to struggle at Vandy, although he is a lot more charismatic than Howard. I also hope I am wrong about Stack. I suspect Madsen will do OK at UVU as he has a built-in advantage with a unique recruiting base.

*Added after I made the original post.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    bmradio99, bumba and cornette33 like this.
  15. cornette33

Money:
    $871
    Well thought out post. I had to go back and check Majerle's stats. He had done well there. I don't think they have made the postseason.

bumba and NCJon like this.
  16. NCJon

Money:
    $6,146
    They've only been eligible for the NCAA tournament the last two seasons, so his first few years they didn't get to play in the WAC tournament.

estar20dawg likes this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
    Agree, he will be a popular hire. I don't know if it's Penny 2.0 but I don't see kids decommitting. They'll give him a year at least.

18. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $409
    Good list. Forgot Fred Hoiberg which I'd put down as a success at ISU.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.
  19. NCJon

Money:
    $6,146
    Definitely an oversight

20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,687
    Mark Price at Charlotte (meh), and Terry Porter at Portland (meh). Danny Manning at Wake (making progress).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerFan89 likes this.