Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,466
    Ehh, while I get the point, and have defended LaVall quite a bit, I also wouldn’t want to be coaching a program that doesn’t have fans calling for my head after a last place finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,231
    Just so everyone knows regarding this guys post- he just joined the app. I’m not saying what he’s saying is false which it could be but also could not be. Me personally i don’t buy it just because I haven’t heard that anywhere else. Who knows hopefully Val is the coach for along time. It would be nice if this user came out and said a source or something about how he knows this. I don’t buy it personally

godogs91 and joliebeth23 like this.
  3. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,695
    Butler’s non-con is brutal this season. Think we should have a very good idea of where this team stands by the time BE play rolls around. It’d be neat to win start winning road games again and protect home court.

I used to think Barry would give Vall one more season after 19-20 but now I’m not sure. Especially if he was pushing for the UM job. Maybe he is able to land a killer ‘20 class?

Chuck Harris looks no part of a top 100 player IMO. Same AAU squad as Thompson and the same non existent jump shot. I highly doubt anyone on the board has seen him play in person. An OG poster who has seen him numerous times and only lurks now is very concerned with his lack of athleticism and offensive game.

Pack seems to be blowing up and probably won’t come to Butler. All the Eugene Brown talk has gone silent. Who else are we even in a good spot with?

willisbrown likes this.
  4. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,629
    You're banned?

UDDawg likes this.
  5. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,629
    Serious question -- right now, how/why would Butler be anyone's dream job? Until we can start providing compensation that at least approaches what the big name schools can offer I don't think we are going to be a true destination job. And I say that as a butler alum, season ticket holder, and donor.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  6. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $325
    I get your point, but I dont think our compensation is necessarily that far off. Howard just signed with UM for 2-2.5 million annually. holtmann was around there when he left. I would say it's more of the facilities, resources, brand recognition, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,514
    This board is so ridiculously easy to figure out.

dawgs2014, godogs91 and DawgsMD like this.
  8. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Maybe LaVall needs to check out maybe he’s just not into you. Michigan didn’t want him to play for them out of high school and now don’t want him as head coach.

He played for Collier and now works with him, Butler has been nothing but gracious to him. If someone doesn’t want to be here, get someone that does.

Hard to recruit and win when you don’t have the passion for the program.

I really wish he would have taken this opening and parlayed it like Cooley.

9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,128
    The "last place in the Big East" criticism of LaVall is the most ridiculous of the bunch, in my opinion, because it's lacking in context.

True? Yes. But also acknowledge that last place was a 7-11 conference record and tied with two other teams in a year where the league had ridiculous parity.

There's a huge gulf between this year's "last place in the Big East" and Brandon Miller's ninth place finish in 13-14 or any of the terrible records Depaul has posted. And 7-11 in conference play is good for at least eighth in every year Butler has been in the Big East, which is an equally true description of this season's finish.

There are legit criticisms of LaVall to be made. That one just feels like looking for negativity in my opinion.

10. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,064
    The buyout news is good to hear, but keep in mind it is common to have a contract with buyouts much higher as to a specific school or schools.

Everything I’ve heard confirms the previous poster’s theory that this was a one-sided attempt to become a candidate.

willisbrown likes this.
  11. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,159
    Why do you think Woods should know more than many on this board about the inner workings of Butler basketball? He’s a beat writer, not a plant in LJ’s office. He’s assigned by the paper to give the average fan info on the program. The average fan that doesn’t follow the team on a daily basis. So he’s giving them news they wouldn’t normally wait with baited breath for. That really doesn’t describe anyone on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,095
    Whoa, that escalated. Mostly people were saying it was disheartening to hear that (if that rumor is true) that he wasn’t just openly listening, but actively campaigning. I don’t blame him for being interested in the job, but it sucks to hear (again, if the rumor is true) just HOW interested he was.

I don’t think that’s criticizing LaVall at all. Just stating that it stings to hear that. Personally, I’m ecstatic that he’s staying. I think with some much needed coaching stability, things can really be on the upswing for Butler.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Tentozen and cornette33 like this.
  13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,529
    There are two theories...one, that Michigan was interested but the buyout was a turn off. No reason to pay a ton for a meh coach. Two, Michigan never was interested and all of these "connections" to the job were LaVall driven and being fed to Rivals type oulets, which then got back to fans/readers or those that had a contact who does that type of thing. I don't know if knowing which one was true (we never will) is all that important at this point. Barry tied himself to LaVall and like I said earlier, for better or worse, he's our guy. Do we like he was aiming hard for the Michigan gig, if true? As fans, no. In reality with his past there, hard to really fault his camp. But it does concern one to a point that the performance of the program is dipping, badly, and now we have questions about the coach who is leading it and if he is all in.

All we can do is watch what unfolds throughout the summer and commitments (Lord willing) and the product on the court. My guess, it's an under .500 team but a decent recruiting class. Not great, not bad, maybe 5th or 6th in the conference. This year is going to be rough with that schedule...so we just better really hope that indeed LaVall is 100% Butler and he and the staff work their assbutts off the next 2-3 months to secure one hell of a 2020 class.

cornette33 likes this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $5,529
    I'm a plant in LJ's office, he waters me twice a day and kisses me for good luck before the sun even rises in the morning.

indienapolis likes this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,554
    Oh well, it's the offseason banter again.

That time killing distraction was kind of interesting while it lasted.

Insane Dawg and NCJon like this.
  16. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,159
    I have no reason to doubt this.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,104
    Better than being a water fountain. We all know how that story ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. willisbrown

Money:
    $5,529
    Water fountains are gross. I'm glad they paid the price for being germ infested herpes spreaders.

19. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,231
    The only thing I would question to regards that Lavall was lobbying for his name to be thrown around and all, I just don’t see that. For 1 there was to much talk about it for a Lavall to just be trying there we’re serious sources out there writing saying he was a serious candidate and “basketball savant”. Also the gambling’s sites, I don’t think things go that far with no interest from Michigan so I don’t take the previous poster who stated the original comment to start this talk with any truth to it. (He is a brand new user) I do agree with you the schedule is tough! And Lavall is our guy. I’ll leave everyone with this- a guy who gets so fired up and you see the passion come out on the sidelines when Lavall pumps his fist and beats his chest, I’m not saying this makes him any better at X and Os but certainly I will never question his desire to be at butler. Michigan was the Only job I think that can get him to look at.

20. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    Just because Jordan was leveraging for an interview, doesn't necessarily mean he's trying to get out of town.

It could also help his image with recruits (This guy was a candidate for the Michigan job!) and maybe even could use it as leverage down the road for Collier (although he'll need a better season to get Barry to open up the wallet more). It's simply an opportunity that he otherwise wouldn't have.

Bulldogs260 likes this.