Beilein to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerGoalie, May 13, 2019.

1. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $724
    A Michigan alum and big time financial supporter just got the call asking him if his support would continue if Billy Donovan was UM's next coach. He told me there are two other names that he wasn't given on the list.

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,471
    As instant of a success as Penny Hardaway has been to make a recruiting impact at Memphis, I could see UM reaching out to Juwan Howard. The Fab Five is legendary not only in Michigan but in college basketball history. He's been an assistant coach in the NBA at Miami for 5-6 years. Why not? I'd call him before LJ, who (*kindly*) has not exactly proved he can coach at this level.

dippper61 likes this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Devontae Graham?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Caller: Will LaVall get an interview?
    Dakich: Hell no.

peeps112 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  5. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $347

Didnt just finish second, he announced a date to commit and was about to commit here Until he was talked out of deciding so early by his father I believe.

estar20dawg likes this.
  6. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Consider me officially worried.

mwall787, fdr, indienapolis and 13 others like this.
  7. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $347

Well that pretty much confirms it, he will get an interview then

8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I think Tom Davis is the only one in the world who thinks there is a chance of this happening.

I don’t see a way Kampen could become our next head coach unless both Lavall is very very successful for a long time (he’s not getting it soon) AND he goes somewhere else to get experience elsewhere.

I’m not really sure what he does as an assistant and am very comfortable stating my belief that he has very little claim to the throne if LJ leaves.

9. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $411
    While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your assessment of LJ; I 'm not sure that Juwan Howard has proven that he can coach at this level either.

10. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Based on previous relationship LaVall has with UofM program don't think he would reach out until they formally decommit and re open their recruitment. But as you said, we
    The more I swish it around, the more this may be a realistic move. Concern from some is his being a part of the Fab 5, however he was the only one of the five without a high level of taint (so to speak).

bumba likes this.
  11. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Based on previous relationship LaVall has with UofM program don't think he would reach out until they formally decommit and re open their recruitment. But as you said we have positioning here

12. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,967
    Michigan is going to hire a coach who can put a successful program on the court and who will keep the truckloads of money flowing into the university’s coffers, and not necessarily in that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

knobcreekfan likes this.
  13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    I’d have to go dig up messages to even remember his name. I think he kept his original verbal, because I never talked to him again after that 1 convo.

14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
  15. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,194
  16. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    Donovan makes a lot of sense. Loads of prior success at the collegiate level. Still pretty young. Gets away from banging his head against the wall coaching Westbrook. Speaking of banging your head against the wall, that leads me to Stevens. I don't see him leaving Boston because Kyrie will be leaving Boston.

No way LaVall is in the Top 5 of Michigan's wish list, but most (all?) of those names are unlikely to leave their current job. I can't imagine UM offering him the job, but I guess circumstances might bring him into play. If offered, I can't imagine LaVall turning the job down.

17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Certainly not before he left Butler, and I suspect that the extent of his recruitment of Young while at OSU was at most, “there’s a spot for you here.”

I don’t think he actively tried to pry away a guy who would have been here if it weren’t for some sort of elaborate sell job by Holt.

As far as Buzz Williams? I don’t know, I’m not going to speak on something that I have no knowledge of. I’m not saying College Basketball is clean, but Butler is.

18. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $169
    Anyone who mentions Emerson Kampen as a possible head coach at Butler needs there head examined!!!

mwall787, SpartanDawgs and bumba like this.
  19. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    Agreed, and I don't see what LaVall would bring to the table over elevating a current assistant.

20. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    If we can get Zeb, that would be fantastic. No way Michigan will contact LJ. It's a 0.5% probability.