Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Member

Money:
    $91
    In previous years I would COMPLETELY agree. He was horrid. This year has started differently. He isn't a "great" talent. But Painter has created a late game offense geared completely to the inside, dominating the last 5 feet and getting to the FT line. Let's compare notes after the X-Roads. I hope I am wrong....

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,443
    Providence just went to OT against Brown (Prov won by 5) . Providence has now been worked over by Minnesota on their home floor, squeaked by a terrible Washington team on a neutral floor, won at the buzzer against a sub-100 Belmont (at home), just barely survived against Rider (also at home), and gone to OT against a Brown team that is ranked 283rd and has a loss to St. Francis New York - one of the worst teams in D1. (PC also lost to Rhode Island on the road, but there's no shame in that one.)

Providence just isn't any good. They are the 8th best team in Big East so far.

(The problem is they have talent, and there's a reasonable chance they'll gel later in the year, and the losses BE teams have against them in league play are going to look really crappy.

Ugh.)

3. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,156
    Washington just beat Kansas, so not sure they are terrible?!?! PC is always perplexing when they win or play terrible though! I think they play with a lackluster intensity unless they are hyped up... SO they keep a lot of games closer than they should be.

MasterSplinter likes this.
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,443
    Haha...right on cue.

But really, Washington still probably isn’t any good. Virginia Tech obliterated them on a neutral floor, and that’s the only other decent team they’ve played. They’ve struggled with some really bad opponents. Kansas just had a s*it night.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

kmacker69 likes this.
  5. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,156
    That does show that ok teams can beat better teams when they are on or the match ups just favor one team on a certain night for numerous possible reasons. But I was watching the game updates when I read your post and thought it was pretty ironic. ;)

Hinkle likes this.
  6. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Member

Money:
    $91
    Food for future conversations and thought, Nova's tallest rotation player is 6' 8" Omari Spellman. Most basketball commentators/observers thought the longer and taller Zags would make life difficult for Nova. Mikal Bridges wasn't phased by the longer and taller Zags. Clearly that size limitation did not have the anticipated impact on that match-up. Perhaps we are undervaluing Butler's front court rotation players?

7. znelson15

znelson15 Member

Money:
    $112
    Watching gtown now vs Howard and yes gtown will win this game but man we should beat them both times this year!!!
    But conference play is always who freakin knows what will happen

Daddysmack likes this.
  8. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Active Member

Money:
    $135
    I'm watching as well, and have watched them a couple times this year. They are so bad and will finish behind DePaul in the conference, but they are getting AP votes.......

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,044
    I am.

10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,729
    Providence is a bit of a mess right now. Dropped one to #143 UMass.

Their last 4 games:
    4-pt win over Rider
    Loss to Rhode Island
    OT win to Brown
    Loss to UMass

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,443
    Providence is flat out bad right now. Hoping they stay that way. Wouldn’t hate having 4 teams below Butler (and maybe 5 depending on ST J).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

MSUDawg likes this.
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,382
  13. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,193
  14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,382
  15. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Active Member

Money:
    $408
    Anybody can tweet anything, but for some reason this sound like there is something to it. The board has had this conversation before, its a long way to Spokane from any BE city which creates expensive travel budgets, but if FOX liked the idea, they could make it worth everyone's time. You could still play a round robin with 11 teams with 2 less non conference games, so no Western Illinois or Morehead State in that scenario, but you get Gonzaga twice instead, what a gauntlet that would be for a conference run. The East in Big East gets pretty big at that point, but there are 14 teams in the Big 10, so hyperbole isn't required. Seems like St. Mary's might try to get on that wagon if it rolls.

16. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Active Member

Money:
    $589
    The article also mentioned a second west coast team would probably be added so the trip wouldn't be just solo...

17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,044
    St. Mary makes sense. Gonzaga wants in for sure. The BE has to expand to keep up with the other power conferences.

18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Active Member

Money:
    $589
    The problem with St Mary's is the facilities, they play in a gym pretty much right now...

19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,382
    Santa Clara, while not as big of a name, could make sense if they go west coast & stay with the heritage of the current BE configuration. They're catholic, D1 and have no football program I believe.

20. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Active Member

Money:
    $408
    TV market coverage is the driver in the expansion process, so the pressure is clearly there. Going to 12 teams and still playing a round robin would mean only 9 non conference games, not sure anyone does that. Seems like you would go straight to 14 and do two divisions (Big East East and Big East West?). Finding 2 more quality basketball programs that are non football schools could be difficult. I used to think Dayton would be an obvious choice but they seem to have slipped this year, I think maybe losing Miller is could be a problem for them going forward - not sure, but we certainly know the impact of coach poaching.