Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Active Member

Money:
    $190
    Agreed. I think Marquette might have more overall talent but the difference in performance vs. expectations between the two programs...(I talked to several of my Marquette friends before making the decision haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,975
    Not sure where to post this, but found it interesting. I am fairly certain that Karem is Enes’ brother, but if I am wrong, apologies to the group.

https://es.pn/2JXMicM

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,949
    Erdogan is a dictator. Anyone who is critical of him can be designated a terrorist and arrested.

#60 likes this.
  4. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $162
    I wonder how the list would change if cost-of-living were taken into account. Things are a lot cheaper in Indy than for our East coast friends.

5. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,150
    I don’t follow NBA enough, but is it common to leave early and go undrafted? Looking at Derrickson and Gates.

cornette33 likes this.
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,666
    Good question, wondering if they either received bad advice or chose to ignore accurate feedback. There's probably international pro teams that will show interest.

7. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,150
    I feel like Derrickson was better then several of the late rounders personally.

BoyGeoff and bumba like this.
  8. bumba

Money:
    $4,666
    Makes me appreciate our recent wins against Nova even more.

Shimmy and Insane Dawg like this.
  9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $868
    I wouldn't have any idea. However, if I were a decent to good college player, but really needed money - and I wasn't good at, or interested in schoolwork - moving on and hoping to work in the G-League or in International competition would have some strong appeal. May not be a good long term decision, but I can see it happening.

10. bumba

Money:
    $4,666
  11. NCJon

NCJon Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,192
    Moved my reply over to the Big East conversation so it doesn't get lost in a recruit's thread.

The allegations against DePaul are nuts, and would be absolutely devastating to that program if the NCAA is able to confirm them, but so far it's all based on text messages between Pitino and one of his assistants. That's not really good evidence that it's true, but it's enough that the NCAA should be looking into it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-brian-bowen-200k-but-he-kept-recruiting-him/

12. bumba

Money:
    $4,666
  13. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,691
    When reading the article on this, it seemed the NBA and NABU were caught completely off guard by this announcement. Seemed to center around who determines the "elite" status of a HS player so that player can be represented by an agent. Also, NBA believes this may be a shift toward eliminating the 1-and-done concept in NCAA.

14. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,009
    This was poor journalism by multiple sources. The new rules clearly stated that elite high school players being allowed to hire agents would occur only if the NBA changed their rules to allow high school players to enter the draft. When that happens, the NBA can declare elite players they are interested in and allow them to hire an agent to pursue a professional career.

This is a prime example of why people don’t trust the media. A few journalist report false or misleading information. Social media blows it up because the “NCAA is incompetent” narrative is a fun bandwagon to jump on and everyone wants to believe it.

Meanwhile so many people are missing the real narrative here. Players can now come back to school if they aren’t drafted. This is going to increase the number of players who enter the draft, as well as creating a very late transfer market as some teams will be unsure of who is coming back and how many rosters spots they have until after the draft.

15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,174
    I thought I saw that the rule allowing players to come back to school if undrafted only applies to those who were invited to the NBA Combine. Do you know if that's accurate? The story I saw (can't remember where, but it was from a usually reputable outlet IIRC) pointed out that only 6 such players existed last draft cycle.

16. bumba

Money:
    $4,666
    Agree, this could impact each college team with a borderline NBA kid on the roster. Do you keep a scholie open in case they come back? Or do you make a hard line that if you're headed for the draft, we need to move on without waiting on the outcome?

I haven't read through all of the details, but it feels like a more convoluted answer than they already had. Maybe it's just me. Did they just let the college players semi-handcuff the school's ability to recruit high school/transfer kids during the Spring by making schools wait for the NBA non-draftees to return in the late Summer?

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $634
    I'm not sure it'll impact many players or schools. Right now, players can wait until May 30th to pull out of the draft, the draft occurs about 3 weeks after that, and then they'll have 4 days after the draft to go back to their respective schools, if they were invited to the combine and weren't drafted. So they can handcuff their schools for a little less than a month if they wanted to go that route. I can't give you the exact numbers, but I would think the vast majority of transfers have committed to a new school before even the May 30th deadline. Bryce Nze was a later commit than Butler normally gets from a transfer, and he committed on May 30th.

18. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,009
    That is correct. Last year it only impacted 6 players, but I expect that number to go up. And don’t forget about counting the players that did get drafted but weren’t locks to do so. Teams would be waiting on them too. But how many more players wanted to go play in NBA but didn’t stay in the draft because they weren’t positive they would get drafted? Now if you have an invite and want an NBA contract you can hire an agent and go for it and if you don’t get anything you can come back. Nothing to lose.

It will be interesting to see the ripple effect that creates. What if a recruit/transfer wants to go to school A but they only have a spot if a player gets drafted? Then maybe you have 4 or 5 other schools who are prioritizing that player and aren’t moving on to other options until that player decides. And maybe they are each telling other recruits that they will offer them if they don’t get Player A. So Player B, C, etc are all waiting on Player A, which impacts an entirely different set of teams. Plus you might have 5 star recruits who want to know what the team will look like before making a decision. They might wait to see who comes back.

So 1 player could potentially hold up a dozen teams. Think of it like NBA or MLB free agency where everyone is waiting on the big players to sign before the dominos fall. You have maybe 20 of these cases and it could get really complex. I’m very curious to see how coaches and players decide to approach this new situation.

UDDawg likes this.
  19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,602
    This rule change seems to have the potential to create chaos and turn the world college basketball upside down. It is difficult to imagine this having a positive effect.

20. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,205
    lol