Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,895
    Kamar (59%) beat Naji Marshall (41%) to advance to the Elite Eight. He will face off against Sam Hauser in the next round.

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $832
    Really solid podcast previewing the league, but a little junk on recruiting to begin (Big East talk begins at 16:40):

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,183
    I archived the Crossroads Classic 2012—Butler vs. IU game years ago & watched it in its entirety last night after years of not seeing it. The commercials were programmed out but, for some reason, I kept the in-studio halftime banter.

In this re-watching, I initially wondered I why I had kept a conversation about basketball between Tim Brando, Doug Gottlieb & Seth Davis. After viewing the commentary’s first couple of minutes I realized why I hadn’t deleted this too.

That December's game happened just as the “Catholic Seven” were announcing their independence. Everything was in flux. None of the 3 in-studio "experts" thought that this reconstituted conference (no one at that time was sure that this new league would retain the “Big East” name) would succeed.

Gottlieb was the biggest detractor. The boy had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING positive to say—to even guesstimate—vis-á-vis this new conference’s chances. All prosperity was tied to big football. Only to big football.

I’m not trying to say that I or anyone I know was Nostradamus, Jr. & foresaw the league’s success with absolute clarity. I was very skeptical—& hopeful. I did see a potential upside to the move; but not these 3. (Brando was the least “crash & burn” of the trio.)

Gottlieb said that maybe Georgetown could salvage its reputation in this pseudo-conference. Absolutely no mention of Villanova. He said that the unnamed league could likely pick up 3 from the quartet of BU, Xavier, Dayton & Saint Louis. But the prospects were bleak. In his opinion, it was sad to see the once-respected Big East reduced to history’s dung heap (not these words, but this intent).

It’s interesting to now look at this “basketball first” incarnation of the Big East—major network endorsement, nearly all the conference’s games receiving national broadcasting (even if this is on the Fox affiliates or such), a perennial national powerhouse (one NOT named “Georgetown”) having won 2 national championships, etc.—& reflect on what was said about the league’s prospects in its inception.

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,727
    Until a BE school not named Villanova starts consistently getting to the Final Four, I wouldn't anticipate much respect from the National media.

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,895
  6. Irishdawg

Money:
    $832
    Wonder if it was about the kind of shots he was taking...
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, this is definitely a blow to Georgetown, at the very least from a depth standpoint.

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,014
    Wasn't his dad a bit of a troublesome guy?

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,727
  9. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,996
    Wow! Rothstein’s Twitter following has reached new heights.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

DawgsMD likes this.
  10. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,298
    Agreed. He would've been one of the first guys off of the bench for Georgetown at the very least.

I've always seen this Georgetown squad as a "BET Wednesday team." This certainly doesn't help.

11. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Member

Money:
    $144
    @AdamZagoria
    Breaking: Mustapha Heron has been cleared to play at @StJohnsBBall this season after getting an NCAA waiver, source tells me The school will announce it Tuesday. Huge new for Chris Mullin’s crew as they get Heron and return @ShamorieP To a strong lineup.

[​IMG]

BHayden likes this.
  12. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $124
  13. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,298
    Huge news. And obviously this instantly makes St. John's better.

Still think this St. John's team will get absolutely murdered on the glass this year. Mullin's coaching is also suspect, and he hasn't established a winning culture. For those reasons, I'm not putting them on the right side of the bubble. I do think they are a NIT squad though.

BHayden likes this.
  14. Irishdawg

Money:
    $832
    October 25th