Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    During the X-Auburn game they showed a sign that hangs in the Xavier Cintas locker room . The sign reads

We are the Toughest Meanest Team in The Big East

2. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

I heard them say that he actually has pro experience (coaching). Supposedly his father coached in the league. I think he is only 28 years old. Crazy!

3. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    We'll see more about Auburn tonight...but I was very encouraged with what I saw from X perspective. One of our best players goes 3-19 with 7 turnovers and we lost in OT to a team that is ranked top 10....they returned nearly everyone from last year's 2 seed and added top prospects that had to sit out last season...if you don't think auburn is a top 10 team I don't know what to tell ya....

I think X played above their heads and probably played one of the better games they will this season...complete turn around from Wisconsin. How they respond today will be interesting as well. Steele has a lot to learn but there are bright spots....everyone thought we'd be down offensively but so far it's looking very sound and auburn will be a top 25 defense easily....our defense is marquette level bad and I don't understand it beyond it's younger guys....

That team that played last night shows up the rest of the season I actually expect X to compete for a chance to defend our BE title...the team that played Wisconsin and we're looking at a 7th/8th finish. I think we net out somewhere in the middle and are a bubble team in February.

Prob still lose to nova by 30 though

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    22 turnovers yesterday. You don't have to be mean to protect the ball.

5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    Don’t disagree on your view of X. Lot of talent. The kid from Ferris State is very good. Marshall is bad on defense. Ball screen defense and weak side help is woeful. X did play Auburn well but Auburn did not impress me as a top ten team.

Best team is SJU. X can be in the hunt if coach figures it out.

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $94
    I know you're joking with the last line there, but as bad defensively as X has looked, Nova has been ridiculously easy to guard. How North Carolina lost to them in their scrimmage I can't for the life of me figure out, because right now it seems like Jay Wright is trying to shove their personnel into a system that they really aren't built for, and they haven't been playing Quinerly despite their offensive woes, which is really interesting.

Xavier has looked pretty solid to good offensively, but I think that was the props to Steele coming into the year was that he was the reason their offense had been so much better in recent times. Even with their younger guys, it's hard to believe how porous they were defensively. Not sure if it's a lack of communication, coaching, or understanding, but definitely a problem that needs figuring out.

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    The Quinerly situation already reminds me so much of the Makai Ashton-Langford fiasco in Providence. Both super highly sought 5* players who got to college before anyone could realize they are turnover machines who can't shoot. (Langford is barely playing as a sophomore for Providence and is now 3-31 from 3 in his career and 35-65 from the free throw line.) It's still early enough for Quinnerly there's a glimmer of hope his prep career wasn't a mirage, but it doesn't look good.

8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    Jay Wright ususally doesn’t make mistakes with recruits and his ability to get them to buy into redshirting is amazing. Maybe he missed it with Quinnerly.

9. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    I'm super interested to see how/if Jay adjusts- he's definitely had the luxury of 3/4 year guys lead the way in a very developed system. He frankly hasn't had to change much to play to his personnel, maybe a few tweaks here and there but nothing major. He's gotta be at a crossroads right now of sticking to the system or changing things to fit what he has...I could see them taking a step back for the next year (or two)...losing 4 underclass men in really tough- especially since 2 of them were unexpected.

10. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Member

Money:
    $126
    As Bill Walton just said: "SDSU is putting on a clinic" as they take a 9 point lead over Xavier (who was leading by 19 in the first half). 10 minutes to go in the game over on ESPN 2

11. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $126
    woof...

MSUDawg likes this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    X is probably going to go 0-3 in Maui. How long before the fan base starts questioning the hiring of a car salesmen as head coach?

Tentozen likes this.
  13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    Xavier was out scored by SDSU 66-42 after midway in the first half. X had better and deeper talent. Defense is their biggest problem although Goodin, Scruggs and Goodin tend to play hero ball and just jack it up whenever. Combined they were 14-35 and 4-15 from three. These three are very talented but aren’t playing at the level they should. Overall X seems to be going thru the motions including the HC. I’m not speaking as someone who is looking for a reason to criticize Xavier. They have the talent to be much better than what they are showing.

BUcheer likes this.
  14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    I saw Scruggs play a couple of times with Brunk at Southport. I remember leaving both games thinking he was a street baller with high athleticism & really average jump shot. So glad we didn't recruit him. Goodin, on the other hand, is someone we all wanted and he's just too young to be carrying the team.

seadawg likes this.
  15. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    Steele could very well end up being a good coach, but it is a huge transition from being a recruiting assistant. His role went from the “nice guy” that sells every player on their ability to get minutes and be an impactful player only to be able to explain away the reason that never materializes for the benchwarmers by insinuating it’s the head coach’s fault to the guy who is at fault when those promises aren’t followed through on. Not easy to do, and frankly why a guy like Schrage may never see an HC role.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen and SpartanDawgs like this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    I was very disappointed when we Goodin committed to Xavier vs Butler but then we got KB. So sometimes things work out OK. Interesting Scruggs and Marshall are both 21 year old sophomores.

Tentozen and bumba like this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    Neutralize Ponds on offense and St. John's is beatable (easier said than done). They have great length on defense so winning the glass will be really important for BU. Franchilla said they're only rotating 7 guys in and out tonight. Ponds is damn good.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
  19. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $126
    If by magician, you mean flopping and pulling out fouls out of nowhere, then yes he is!!’

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    Ponds is really good. He made some amazing shots against VCU. In some respects he reminds me of Allen Iverson. He’s definitely the straw that stirs the drink for SJU on the offensive end. But he doesn’t put a lot of effort on the defensive end. SJU only goes 6-7 deep. Key is to get them into foul trouble. I can see SJU being a contender.