Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    Pretty much the only take away for me. I’m not foolish enough to think we’re gonna rip off another 4 in a row to get us any sort of serious conversation. But this team has figured out its defense and improved a lot. Theoretically we should return our top 4 scorers next year as well so more looking to the future than anything at this point.

In 5 seasons in BE play mack only had one win vs. nova, 1 win @ PC, and 1 win @ SH. Pretty impressive Steele has gotten all 3 of this in year one with a somewhat depleted roster.

2. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $286
    I think a huge factor is that Nova lost four starters/regulars to the NBA and Providence and the Hall lost a ton as well. I wouldn't come over here anointing a coach most on your board wanted to fire two weeks ago as the next messiah.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $225
    Each has played 35 minutes per game in all 27 games. Maybe a bit tired. Cremo and Quinnerly have not been effective to date. That has probably contributed to their minutes, though Quinnerly is seeing a bit more of the floor lately.
    Baldwin is our only player with that level of playing time and I saw they rested him a bit in practice. I suspect Nova will get a second wind come Big East Tourney. X is big and strong. Not exactly a good match for Nova. Or us for that matter. We have our work cut out in the last 4 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,109
    Guaranteed lock of the year-nova shots 55-60% from three against us. Maybe 65%.

5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,845
    89-56 Nova

Villanova will go 25-29 from three and 14-15 from the line. In doing so, Nova will do something no team in NCAA history does - score all of its point behind the arc or at the line.

Aaron Thompson and Jordan Tucker will combine for contributing to all five trips to the line for the Wildcats on fouling three point shots.

Butler misses all but two shots behind the arc and misses its only two FT attempts, both by Campbell Donovan in the waning seconds of the game, after Jay Wright erupts at the officials for signaling a two point attempt which he was adamant was from distance. Nova goes 0-1 from two.

6. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    I guess I forgot that Xavier lost their top 5 scorers and their coach from last season as well. And no if you actually read the board the most of the board didn't want him fired two weeks ago. That's like saying most of Butlerhoops wanted Holtman/Lavall fired because of a vocal minority.

X is better than we were a month ago which at this point is the most important thing to me, this team isn't making the tournament, but I'm here to mess up some seedlines along the way.

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    Nice to see you back after being silent when Xavier lost six in a row. Your boys are playing at the level of their talent now. I'm not counting them out yet.

8. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,182
    If X keeps playing like they have recently they could absolutely get an at large bid. They close with Butler sandwiched around St. John’s x2. Win those 3 & they’re 10-8 in BE & I think on the right side of the bubble.

9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,226
    No way they can beat St John's twice playing bully ball, that's the one style that matches up with St John's perfectly. Look at Marquette against them this year. You're just not going to out physical, out thug St. Johns. You have to be smart, limit live ball turnovers, slow the tempo and make Mullins have to coach which he isn't going to do. You try and play pick up ball against St. John's and they'll pound you.

10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,215
    Booth and Paschall are just resting up to bury Butler! UGH!

Sidd Finch likes this.
  11. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $613
    Yeah, you just know that's going to happen.

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
  13. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,006
    Hmm. They don't say anything on why.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    Xavier suspending someone tells you it must have been really bad.

Tentozen and cornette33 like this.
  15. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,006
    Man that Sam Houser kid... He is a pro. Wasn't Butler recruiting him for like 30 seconds before Marquette was all over him?

16. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,182
    Man, X already up 9 @ STJ. Going to be very difficult to beat them.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    I felt this year we could take Xavier twice. I was wrong they will beat us twice

18. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,263
    Let's just face it Xavier is better coached. It will be ugly from here on in. As Brooklyn fans used to say "wait till next year." Oh by the way, Steele is a Butler grad.

19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,837
    Even though I’m not a fan of either Xavier or St. John it’s fun to watch two teams play hard and with intensity.

20. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $225
    They are crushing the Johnnies on the boards. Their size, strength and defense will be a matchup problem for us, no doubt. They happen to be shooting well tonight too. They are building up some steam lately. Not sure who wants to play them in NYC.