Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376
  2. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,036
    Seton hall just helped themselves out. Finished on an 18-0 run to beat Marquette.

Also gave Nova a share of the regular season title.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,779
    Seton Hall just punched their ticket. Myles Powell is amazing. Guy just takes over games.

bumba likes this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376
    DePaul giving GT a bonafied beat down at home. Up 20+ in the first half.

5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,393
    Almost 30. Strus is in overdrive right now. He should be first team all BE. Dude is SOLID.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,779
    DePaul 54 GT 31 at half time. Strus is definitely all BE. He is all motor. Love how he and Myles Powell play. Pleasure to watch both.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,393
    Unfortunately, I don’t think he gets the recognition. I think BE first team is as follows:

Ponds
    Booth
    Howard
    Paschall
    Houser (elder)

DePaul has very few wins without Strus. Same for Powell and SHU. Hope I’m wrong.

8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $799
    Strus visited Butler, Holtmann didn't offer> Oh ya Kyle Young was coming so therefore no offer. Holtmann still casts a shadow at Butler!

bumba likes this.
  9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,426
    The big east does 6 and there's no way Powell isn't one of them I feel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  10. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,801
    Ed Cooly (sp?) gave the best timeout speech to a team I've ever heard. He called out every single player AND himself for thinking of themselves and not the team. And he did it in a very calm and collected manner. Result? The Friars erased a 17-point 2nd half deficit and sent the game to overtime. Creighton held on for the win but that speech should be recorded and memorized by every coach in BBL.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,779
    We don't want to play DePaul.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  12. mwall787

Money:
    $1,036
  13. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,512
    Just like how Butler wouldn't beat X right? We own those guys, would love to play them again.

14. mwall787

Money:
    $1,036
  15. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Member

Money:
    $102
    After tonight’s results every team in the conference has ensured themselves a .500 record or better. Interesting tidbit.

Just posing the question because I value the opinions of our (mostly) intelligent forum: does it value the conference more to be .500 or better 1st - 10th or to have more of a traditional set of tiers (2 or 3 great teams, 3 to 4 average teams and the rest are below average to bad?)

16. Albick

Albick Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $454
    Also, no more than two teams can finish above .500 in league play.

17. Albick

Money:
    $454
    The way it looks to me (and I could certainly be wrong).
    1. If Butler loses Saturday, it finishes in a tie for 8th/9th/10th with Providence and DePaul (if DePaul loses) or in a tie for 9th/10th if DePaul wins.
    2. If Butler wins Saturday, it could finish as high as a tie for 4th with the loser of the St. John's/X game along with Creighton, Hall, Georgetown and DePaul. (This assumes that DePaul beats Creighton, Hall loses to Nova, and Georgetown loses to Marquette). In this scenario, Nova would end up 14-4; Marquette, 13-5; the St. John's/X winner, 9-9; Butler, Creighton, Hall, Georgetown, DePaul, and the St. John's/X loser, 8-10, and Providence, 6-12. Only 2 teams above .500, one at .500, and 7 teams below .500. If the NCAA tournament committee is looking for teams with a winning conference record, the Big East will be in trouble.

In a 2-way tie in Scenario 1, Butler finishes 10th due to Providence's 2 wins over Butler. In a 3-way tie, Providence will be 2-0 against Butler and 1-1 against DePaul, and I think it takes 8th. Butler, at 2-0 over DePaul, gets 9th, and DePaul 10th.

In a 6-way tie for 4th, here are the records among the teams:
    Butler against Creighton (1-1), Hall (1-1), Georgetown (1-1), DePaul (2-0), St. John's (1-1), X (1-1)
    Creighton against Butler (1-1), Hall (0-2), Georgetown (2-0), DePaul (1-1), St. John's (0-2), X (1-1)
    Hall against Butler (1-1), Creighton (2-0), Georgetown (1-1), DePaul (0-2), St. John's (1-1), X (1-1)
    Georgetown against Butler (1-1), Creighton (0-2), DePaul (1-1), Hall (1-1), St. John's (1-1), X (1-1)
    DePaul against Butler (0-2), Creighton (1-1), Hall (2-0), Georgetown (1-1), St. John's (2-0), X (1-1)
    St. John's against Butler (1-1), Creighton (2-0), DePaul (0-2), Hall (1-1), Georgetown (1-1), X (1-1)
    X against Butler (1-1), Creighton (1-1), Hall (0-2), Georgetown (1-1), DePaul (1-1), St. John's (1-1)
    (Interestingly, X has split with every one of those teams; Butler has split with all but DePaul)

I'm not sure how the tiebreakers would go in a 6-way tie, but it certainly would be an interesting exercise for the bean counters at Big East headquarters.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  18. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Member

Money:
    $86
    In a 6 way tie it’s essentially a round robin (mini record) for those involved. In the case above, Butler has the best record against those teams that it’s tied against (7-5) and would therefore be placed in 4th place. So basically we want DePaul and Butler to win on Saturday and you can book it for the Wednesday bye

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...df/2014-15/misc_non_event/MBB_Tiebreakers.pdf

19. Albick

Money:
    $454
    Well, if the round robin applies, the results would be slightly different because I've included records above for both St. John's and X, but only the loser would be tied for 4th. The winner gets 3rd. It appears, though, that Butler still gets 4th if Butler and DePaul both win on Saturday.

If St. John's wins, Butler is 6-4, Creighton is 5-5, Georgetown, 4-6; DePaul, 5-5; Hall, 5-5, and X, 5-5. Butler still gets 4th, Georgetown is 9th, and the other four are in a tiebreaker for 5-8.
    If X wins, Butler is 6-4, Creighton, 4-6, Hall, 5-5; Georgetown, 4-6; DePaul, 6-4; St. John's, 5-5. Butler ties with DePaul, but Butler has beaten DePaul twice, so Butler still gets 4th, DePaul is 5th, Hall and St. John's are in a tiebreaker for 6th and 7th (that opening game with the controversial ref's call sure is looking big there), Creighton is 8th and Georgetown 9th.

It's amazing that the outcome of Butler's game and one other can mean the difference between Butler finishing 4th or last.

bumba and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376