Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,292
    Hey man, I love KB and everything that he is and does for the school. But if you think he's better than Powell??? I've learned a long time ago to take the glasses off when it comes to evaluating prospects, talent, making rosters. I could definitely see him in that lineup as a backup/alt 1 behind Gillespie. But if you are looking at straight number 2's with NBA upside and potential, he's probably 3rd or 4th on that list.

2. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,785
    I think we're missing the trees for the forest. Baldwin has a lingering foot injury? NO BUENO. Talk about something that could sink this season faster than a fart in a convent.

jkcdawgs, Mad_Dawg 48 and willisbrown like this.
  3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,502
    This convent has a more than ample supply of methane already...

NCJon likes this.
  4. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,926
    Kamar is currently on the Jeff and Big Joe Show on 1070 (the show he's interning for). He said a teammate fell on him towards the end of the season last year and sprained his ankle/foot. He said he considered testing the draft waters to get some feedback (knowing he would return to Butler) and playing in the PanAm Games, but he thought it would be more beneficial for him and the team to just get healthy for his senior season.

Also, it was mentioned in the David Woods article and they touched on it on the radio, but it sounds like Kamar was dealing with a lot of stuff last season that the fans weren't aware of.

LaVall is on the show now. He said that JMM has gained some weight already. He said since he lives so close, he's already been able to work with the strength and conditioning coach to start putting on some weight.

5. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,578
    Did they say what kind of stuff he was dealing with?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $8,926
    Not really. They asked Kamar about it and he just said something along the lines of there's no sense worrying about things in the past he's just looking forward to this next season.

Tentozen likes this.
  7. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $8,926
    “You serious, Clark?”

8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,073
    Shimmy likes this.
  9. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $932
  10. NCJon

Money:
    $9,073
    I liked the IU one. The NC State one was weird, imo. Valvano was their last great coach, but it's Everett Case who put that program on the map, and then Norm Sloan who took them to the next level. The whole premise was just bizarre. There's a strong argument he's the third best coach in school history.

The Carolina one was OK. I mean Dean Smith is undoubtedly one of the greatest ever, but he wasn't like John Wooden or Adolph Rupp where the program had no identity before he showed up. Carolina had two Hall of Fame coaches before Smith. It just doesn't quite fit the paradigm they're trying to squeeze these programs into.

Both were a little like writing one about Butler and saying everyone was chasing Brad Stevens without acknowledging Tony Hinkle.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    MSUDawg likes this.
  11. NCJon

Money:
    $9,073
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,436
  13. novachap

novachap Well-Known Member

Money:
    $334
    Hi folks,

dog days of summer..... It's a little lengthy but Jalen Brunson did a podcast with titus and tate... he has talks about his time at Nova, Big 5 and Big East... good shout out on Butler / Hinkle and the coaching tree.

https://t.co/YgLldWd5W1

BHayden, DawgPoundMac, Shimmy and 3 others like this.
  14. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,240
    Marquette added Justin Lewis. Top-75 forward.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,919
    Marquette is way out ahead ofButler on the recruiting trail. .

16. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $200
  17. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $416
    https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-East
    https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-East
    https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-East
    https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-East
    https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-East

Marquette used to be light years ahead of Butler, finishing first in the Big East in both 15 and 16. In recent years, they have fallen back to near Butler levels (but have been heavier with transfers)

If you look at Butler's finishes over that five year period (9, 7, 9, 9, and 6), it shouldn't be too surprising that they are going to get picked near or at of the bottom of the league. They simply haven't gotten the same level of player as the rest of the Big East over the term. The way 2020 is going that trend doesn't appear to be changing

Insane Dawg and nindiana like this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,919
    I hate to agree with Title. I really do but our recruiting 2-3 star players even though they have upside isn’t going to allow us to compete with almost of the BE teams. Everyone raves about LJ recruiting under the radar players.

19. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $382
    Weird with those "low rankings" that we have made the NCAA tournament 4 out of the last 5 years and won 5 games. Maybe there is something else to playing basketball than 247 rankings that don't include transfers.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  20. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $200
    Gotcha... I was just really looking at this 2020 class I guess. Hauser bros are gone and Howard will be gone soon. They need to reload somehow and if I was a recruit, I wouldn't go there after the Hauser bros left and Howard returning after averaging 25+ a game.

Greg Elliot and Symir Torrence are the only ones where they out recruited us right?