Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Justin Lewis

2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Recruit, recruit, and recruit some more!

3. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    Xavier is running a slick b-ball video on Twitter that obviously is directed at recruits. Too bad we seem to be stuck in neutral.

4. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $173

Good for them. I'm more proud of this... even tho it might not attract better recruits. If recruits don't see that this is better than going to Lake Monroe or making some hype video about where they're from then maybe we don't want them.

DawgPoundMac and Irishdawg like this.
  5. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    I mean, just because you do some great work in the community doesn’t mean you can’t do other things to promote the program like other programs are doing. You can do both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insane Dawg, dawgs2014 and UDDawg like this.
  6. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $399
    No one is saying that you shouldn't eat your broccoli.

It's just a lot easier to get someone to your table if your dessert looks good.

Butler can't or won't sell the dessert and the results are what they are for that reason.

There is absolutely no reason that Butler should be at a disadvantage to Xavier - they share effectively every characteristic; but dominate they do. Xavier actually sells what is bought, not what some old guys wish that kids bought

bumba, the_speakers_lab and nindiana like this.
  7. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $173
    Oh I agree. But at least they are posting some things. I do see a big opportunity that they could promote this new weight/conditioning trainer and the process of getting stronger. The coach tries to do this himself but going through the butler account and making it more fancy would be nice. Also I hardly have seen the renovations that they did with Gordon Hayward's money... Showing their film room and other perks they recently upgraded would be nice too...

8. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $382
    They are still working on the renovations. They have posted several updates this summer about it. The $10.5 M the school is spending will go along way, and more than some video posted on twitter imo.

What really matters is that LaVall can relate to recruits and sell his vision for the program. If he can't, then twitter videos and practice gyms won't make any difference.

NCJon and bumba like this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    I think it is ridiculous how little they promote b-ball on social media. It’s kind of like they are trying to keep everything secret. It’s nice they have camps for disabled and the Y but why can’t LJ and Barry do promo videos?

dawgs2014 likes this.
  10. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    Exactly. Compare the content we put out there with any other major program. It’s ridiculous. We look like a high school team on social media. Spend a little money, hire a dedicated social media team, and at least give the appearance that you are trying.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,344
  12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,343
    Even hiring someone on staff to do just this would be worth it’s weight in gold if it can land one or two kids that can get you a tourney bid and one or two wins. I say it would be a good experiment to try hiring a kid who is a recent grad, package it with some teaching classes, and have him teach a class or two at Fairbanks, almost like an adjunct. Get the most bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

13. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $566
    Trip gets way more SM coverage than Mens' or Women's basketball....or the Men's Soccer Team. It seems a real blind spot to me when attempting to attract and interact with a generation of young people whose lives are connected through SM. How could this not be worth $100k per year, or as proposed above $40k to a new grad to coordinate? This has the same feel as the open parking garage retail locations. Build a good product and than have no clue as to leveraging what you have built.

nindiana likes this.
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    Hopefully when we get the rare recruit on campus ,through little use of social media ,we don’t walk them past the empty “ going out of business” signs in the parking garage.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  15. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $382
    This seems like a bunch of old people trying to figure out what young people want, and then coming up with the conclusion that it is somebody that posts videos on twitter.

We need good facilities, good academics, and competent coaches that are personable for us to recruit the type of player we have come to expect at Butler. A good social media manager certainly won't hurt, but we are not losing recruits because we don't have anybody that are editing Trip and LaVall into Old Town Road remixes.

16. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    I’m not arguing that all of those things you mentioned aren’t more important than social media. However, why not try and be good at all of those things? If spending $100k puts us in more kids timelines and gets more casual fans excited about the program, then it is well worth it. If we had higher quality content being produced and sent out, and not just birthday shoutouts to past players, maybe we would have an easier time getting on kids radars to start with. It’ll likely never be a final deciding factor for a kid, but it might let the kid know earlier on who and what Butler Basketball is. I just graduated college, so I’m not sure I fall in the the “old man trying to figure out what young kids want”. Doing something to try and catch the eye of prospective fans or recruits would be well worth the investment.

Insane Dawg and Alcohol101 like this.
  17. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $382
    I understand your argument and I think it has merit, but I think that money can be spent elsewhere and put to better uses. We play in the Big East now, and I have a hard time believing that we aren't already on every kid's radar. I think what you will find is that we as a program, for better or for worse, are more selective with who we recruit than some of the other schools. It matters to the coaches that they be a good teammate, have the grades, humility, etc. Since the guy that came up with this philosophy is still at the school and hires the head basketball coaches, I do not expect this to change anytime soon. In terms of catching recruits eyes, we play every game on national television, play in a sold out arena in nearly every game, play in one of the top 5 basketball conferences in the country, produced NBA players and international pro players, have our tournament in MSG, and have newly updated facilities in one of the top 5 arenas in all of college basketball. I am not going to beat a dead horse about this, but I seriously doubt we are losing any recruits due to our twitter account activities.

Also, I have no doubt that I am older than most of the posters on here. Just not that old.

BUcheer likes this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    But would it hurt to do some slick , positive and exciting social media pieces? We certainly aren’t hitting home runs on the recruiting trail with Trip, pictures of air conditioners and retailers moving out next to Hinkle. Yes we are in the BE but we aren’t getting enough top recruits comparatively to move up in the pecking order in the BE. I don’t see much happening to differentiate Butler from even Depaul. Maybe that is asking for too much.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  19. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $382
    It wouldn't help though, so I'm not sure what the point would be. It wouldn't hurt to do a lot of things, but they wouldn't necessarily help our recruiting. Holding onto a coach longer than 3 years would be a good start to help our recruiting. Having a newly renovated practice facility would be #2 on my list.

BUcheer and NCJon like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    Totally agree with you on keeping a head coach and a better practice facility are critical. All I’m saying is I don’t think tweeting pictures of the new air conditioner in Hinkle is a best way to promote the program. How much does it cost to run a 45 second video of practice every week on Facebook or Twitter? Heck I could create something with my iPhone.