Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,263
    The coaches have a lot of work to do and so do the players. Eighth, ninth, or tenth could prove very bad for the future of the program. This season has to be better!
    No one wants Butler to become a second DePaul.

2. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $295
    Hopefully avoiding 9th. Wouldn't be a great look to have three last or second-to-last finishes in the seven years of the conference's existence.

3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $225
    Mix and Match Coaches Selections 3 through 7 with a total 7 point spread. Then a 24 point drop to Butler at 8th! 8th with a 1st Team Preseason All Big East selection. So the Big East coaches are basically saying everybody else is chopped liver. If it is not motivating everyone not named Kamar, I'm not sure what would.
    9 and 9 was a tie for 3rd last year. That is where my expectation is for this year. Anything above 500 in conference would be awesome. Below meh.
    We'll know pretty early in our schedule what we have.

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,109
    Agree with this. We're still climbing uphill but this roster is much more suited for Big East play than last year's debacle. Guys can play their positions, we have a new assassin in Battle and we need to wish on Thompson's offensive game improving. We can mix and match better with this roster than anything we could last year. Tough road in this conference but the pieces to go into play with are better.

Tentozen likes this.
  5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,263
    Hopefully, last years roster was not very well suited for the Big East.

6. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,007
    Are you related to Title at all? Is this the Title burner account? You know how long Butler would have to bottom feed to be the next DePaul? You cannot realistically say that with what LJ has recruited that they are going to bottom feed for the better part of the next decade.

7. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $474
    Wonderful recruiting wins.....crickets

Something that can be viewed as negative......bingo time to chime in

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $726
    You’re back

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $290
    I have a curiosity question for the board. I don't understand the catalyst for a lot of the negativity about the coming season.

How can you look at this years roster and see a repeat of last years disappointing season?

From my perspective, both front court positions with Smits and Nze are a significant upgrade over Fowler/Brunk and a SF playing out of position at PF. Golden can sub into either position and provides back-up in case of injury....and speaking of injury, he won't be coming off shoulder surgery during the non-conference schedule.

The SF position is well stocked with Tucker and McDermott. Tucker will have had a long off season to improve his defensive awareness and adapted his offensive skills to the NCAA game. McDermott won't be faced with playing against opponents 2-3 inches taller and outweighing him by 20-30 pounds.

At the guard position you have Thompson and Baldwin returning. Thompson has lots of skill and made a lot of improvement from his Freshman year. Why wouldn't we expect similar improvement in his Junior year?

Baldwin's hero ball appears to have been a function of VERY limited options beyond the perimeter. Why would you presume he can't learn from that experience? Why would he ignore what is viable front court offensive option in Smits?

Battle has been touted as Butler's future by numerous NON-Butler sources. Why would we presume he won't live up to those expectations?

This leaves Baddley and David to play either SG or SF as rotation and injuries warrant. David in particular showed moments of brilliance last season when he wasn't battling his confidence bugaboo. Why would we presume he wouldn't be able to take another step forward? He was highly rated as a HS player and it is clear he has a lot of talent and BBall IQ.

This leaves Hastings and Malloy, either or both of which are likely redshirt candidates due to injury (Hastings) and size (Malloy ).

The main weakness is lack of front court depth. If either Smits or Nze go down for an extended period, Malloy is a redshirt, Butler will be back to playing SF's out of position. That would probably result in similar outcomes to 2018/2019.

Finally, though I wasn't thrilled with several of the coaching decisions made last season, I am not going to take the position that Jordan has only one coaching methodology and only one way to view the game. To make that presumption would imply that Jordan is somehow unable to learn and adapt. Jordan has demonstrated he has great recruiting skill and has been able to adapt his approach to fit the needs of each recruit. Why wouldn't he apply those same adaptive skills to game preparation, player development and overall strategy/tactics? Jordan has never demonstrated a lack of flexibility to me.

I am looking forward to the start of this season. I want to see how these players have improved and developed since March. So too, I want to see how Coach Jordan adapts his approach with a few more tools in his tool kit for the coming season.

thebulldogs, kmacker69, #60 and 4 others like this.
  10. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,044
    Couldn't agree more with Gregory here. A bubble team from a year ago returns all of its pieces that were arguably working last season while replacing key deficiencies with new pieces. If your outlook is 8-10, your assumption is that Nze + Smits will be equivalent to Brunk + Fowler.

I completely understand ranking them 8th initially given the unknown aspect, but there are plenty of reasons to expect them to outperform.

thebulldogs, #60 and Tentozen like this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,109
    It's a combination of a hangover from last year's circus along with the big east looking very strong this year and sprinkle in an insane non con schedule. I doubt many, if any, believe this team will be *worse* this year than last, as the roster layout is more complete and experienced, but I do believe people look at this schedule and see a ton of losses on it. Some will break our way but this thing is loaded.

I am looking forward to watching this team ten fold over last year's junk. I'm excited for Battle. I'm thrilled to have some toughness down low with Nze. I think Tucker will be a star.

I would bet heavily on every poster believing this roster is better suited than last year. I still think it's a .500 team though with the schedule it has looming.

Tentozen likes this.
  12. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $613
    Short answer: Both the BE and non-conference schedule are tougher this year compared to last year. My expectation is this season's record will be in the general neighborhood as last year, even though the team will be better.

Tentozen and NCJon like this.
  13. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $794
    I'm a cup half full guy but I found your quote hilarious but so true, so here goes:

Heuristic of Complaints, as follows:

1. Could Title be right?
    2. Recruiting
    3. Current/last year's Roster
    4. Close games/in game coaching
    5. Big East standings
    6. NCAA tourney status
    7. If 2-6 less than expectations, go back to #1

I'll let myself out. Lol.

Go Dawgs!

Sent from my moto z4 using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    HoosierDawg likes this.
  14. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $290
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I will concede that the non-conference schedule has some daunting games or stretch of games. Having said that, Butler has six very winnable games until the HOF Classic final to sort a few things out. Hopefully they go into that HOF Classic final at 6-0 with some confidence and momentum.

After that it's SEC and BIG-12 time prior to the CRClassic, the daunting part of the non-conference schedule Being able to play the Gavitt game in Hinkle should be a big boost.

Baylor @ Waco, TX gives me 2018 @ Florida PTSD.

Looking forward to picking up season tickets next week and getting the ball in the air!

MBA2003 and #60 like this.