Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,307
    I know it would have been better for Butler had a Xavier won but this result makes me happy.

Shimmy and MSUDawg like this.
  2. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,307
    Marquette - Xavier. A Xavier win would be better for us but I find myself rooting for Marquette.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,706
    Xavier’s season is effectively over in January. 2-6 with 4 out of 5 on the road coming up.

With 6 road games and home games against Nova and Butler remaining, it wouldn’t be shocking to see them finish around 5-13.

Such a shame.
    Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Shimmy and Tentozen like this.
  4. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $523
    It saddens me to see another X loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

godogs91 likes this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,307
    Sometimes defensively they look good then they look bad. Offensively they are a mess.

6. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,631
    Anything can happen but I think it will be difficult for any of the current bottom 4 teams in the BE to move into the top 6.

7. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,833
    Looking at this realistically, I would submit it’s not a top 6 bottom 4, but top 2, middle 4, then bottom 4.
    I challenge anyone to talk me out of this!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  8. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $468
    Top: Seton Hall, Nova, Butler
    Middle: Marquette, Creighton
    Interchangeable: prov, Georgetown, st John's, xavier and DePaul

Butler losing to Seton Hall and nova doesn't mean they are a class ahead. We outperformed both teams in the preseason by a good amount and they have performed better in the conference.

All games actually matter. Not sure how why you are using single data points in a season 20+ games in

9. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $745
    As of today that is my assessment as well.

10. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,754
    I am not conceding anything until we see what the Nova game yields. That funk began the second half of Seton Hall and lasted through Villanova. I honestly think Butler is top three. I can possibly be persuaded otherwise given Wednesday’s results.

dawg767 likes this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,106
    I think this is the right answer. Let's see, at home, how we measure up next week against Nova. As of now I'd say we are the third best and teetering between top tier and top of the middle tier (if we want to do tiers) but if we perform well/win against Nova we can cement the opinion that we are in that top tier of the BE. Right now at 5-3 we are toeing the line.

seadawg likes this.
  12. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $745
    Why are we skipping over Providence? I prefer to go one game at a time. We win the next two home games and it is time to reassess. Right now let’s play a complete game Saturday and go on from there.

Sidd Finch and BUcheer like this.
  13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,106
    I'm definitely not skipping over them, I was just agreeing that let's see what happens against Nova at home to determine if we are middle of the pack or can be put in the top tier. I said it yesterday...every game is a challenge in this league. Saturday is no different. But right now I see Butler as high middle/top tier and if we lose against Nova we're definitely middle of the pack but if we win we can say we're one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

Saturday is huge though because I think Nova is just a bad match up and they will beat us next week.

Sidd Finch and BoyGeoff like this.
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,307
    Don’t discount Creighton. If SHU plays to their potential they are a Final Four team and possibly National Champion. I don’t see us being in the top two. We are fighting for 3 or 4 along with Creighton and Marquette. GT, X, DePaul , Providence and SJU fighting to stay out of the cellar.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,193
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but we need X to win. They're #62 in the NET and falling. Our road game there would be Q2 if they drop out of the Top 75.

This is also a problem with PC. They're now #77 in the NET as of this morning's update so Friday night is no longer Q1. If we lose there for any reason, it would be a bad loss on our team sheets the committee uses.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  16. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,959
    This might be a dumb question, but is it about where they're ranked at the time the game is played, or at the end of the season?

bumba likes this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,193
    I guess I was thinking about the previous comments that X's schedule is brutal going forward. You are absolutely right though. End of season is the measuring stick.

18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,282
    End of season. Quadrant records fluctuate by the day.

bumba likes this.
  19. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $706
    Agreed. Another Nova loss puts a squarely in middle 4 while win safely puts us in Top tier. Best case though I think is 2nd place because realistically it would take a miracle for us to catch SH. In the context of BE Tournament, it doesn't really matter other than seeding. I say this because as I remember, Top 6 seeds get a Day 1 Bye in BE Tournament so we just need to avoid a total collapse to 7th place in 2nd half of conference schedule.

20. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,669
    Providence as of today will be a Q3 game, so yes it is a scary game considering they can perform well. In all likelihood DePaul, St. John;s, PC, and/or Xavier will be out of the 75 by year's end, just not sure which. Georgetown at NET 49 is probably safe to stay inside 75 (making the away game a Q1 win and home game a Q2 game) but we really need to take care of the other 4 at home to ensure we have 0 bad losses.

bumba and Tentozen like this.