Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,711
    Right now I do not see how Seton Hall and St. John's can hold classes in the fall.

2. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,237
    I would think the more immediate problem from a basketball standpoint is that it seems unlikely that a school will be allowed to field athletic teams and play in games while its campus is closed.

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,653
    BE commissioner said there will not be fall sports unless there are students on campus. Imagine sending your child off to college this fall. Then how many want to pay private school tuition and take all their courses online from home?

bumba likes this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,259
    This is a really interesting idea since we don't exactly know what will happen as the country reopens (except virus cases will probably increase). If all colleges are going online only for the foreseeable future, what does that mean for admissions? Would schools instinctively take more students in each freshman class because they don't have to worry about dorm capacity? That could mean students have many more options beyond BU.

5. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,661
    It just means all the East Coasters will pay out of state tuition by sending their kids to IU

[​IMG]

6. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,090
    I think you are right. To me "going to college" was as valuable an undertaking as the formal educating you were imbued with. The small private colleges, which the BE is primarily composed of, offer a unique environment that is markedly different from the large public universities (I did both). Sitting in front of a computer and doing online educating is OK for book learning, but its not as valuable in many other dimensions. So my sense is, that most rationale people would opt to take the online courses from the least expensive source that still carries some brand cache. In other words I would choose Ohio State over Xavier if I lived in Ohio, or Wisconsin over Marquette if I lived in Wisconsin. There will always be some who still pick the private institution, but I am certain the private universities would see big enrollment declines.

7. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,090
    Insane Dawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  8. Ster8462

Ster8462 Active Member

Money:
    $393
    BU is likely to be fine on enrollment front. They might not get as many Cream of crop students (just like in ‘80 when they Accepted me with a 2.84 HS GPA). Last year wasn’t it like 10k plus applications for BU and 1k to 1.2k accepted. Even if applications dwindle to 5k I would think they would still be able to get 1k college capable kids to Accept.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,653
  10. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,350
    Actually, they only counted Villanova, Seton Hall and Creighton games against the Big 10. Curious what it would have been had they expanded that. As was noted, The BEast had the best record against non-con opponents in the country.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut likes this.
  11. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,757
    As I was reading the article, this popped up.

I know Louisville isn't in the Big East...but since this article is where I found this...I am just dropping here.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/video/294f5c8e-fb8b-45bc-a2eb-7cd4316aa16f

12. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $388
    Apologize if this has already been posted but Mac McClung apparently announced he’s withdrawing from the NBA draft and transferring from Georgetown. Not good for the Hoyas.

cornette33 likes this.
  13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,679
    There's some talk about it in the transfer thread. Probably belongs here since he is not a transfer target for Butler.

14. Albick

Money:
    $1,237
  15. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,541
    cornette33 likes this.
  16. Albick

Money:
    $1,237
    Patrick Ewing tests positive for COVID-19

17. Albick

Money:
    $1,237
    Interesting comments on the Marquette board. Bailey's departure was disappointing but not unexpected given Bailey's age. Almost universally positive comments about him and lots of well wishes. Bailey was in the same recruiting class with Markus Howard and Sam Hauser, but he completed a 2-year Mormon mission before entering college. He just finished his sophomore year but will be 23 next month. His father is Thurl Bailey, who played on Jim Valvano's 1983 NC State NCAA championship team, then played 12 seasons in the NBA at Utah and Minnesota.

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,653
    I really like Bailey’s upside.

tlp63 likes this.
  19. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,711
    Prayers for Patrick Ewing.

#60 likes this.
  20. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,684
    Had no idea Brendan Bailey’s father is Thurl. I remember that 1983 NC State team well.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops