Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by gmoser1210, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Seton Hall basketball: A detailed look at how Big East rescheduling will work

• Jerry Carino, Asbury Park Press
      Tue, December 28, 2021, 10:06 AM·5 min read

In this article:

Once COVID’s highly contagious omicron variant ripped through the college basketball landscape, changing their game cancellation policy from forfeits to postponements was the easy part for Big East Conference members.

Now comes the jigsaw puzzle of rescheduling.

“It’s going to be a big challenge,” said Seton Hall athletics director Bryan Felt, whose men’s basketball team had its first two league games called off.

- ADVERTISEMENT -
      Some guardrails will guide the process:

► The conference has full authority to reschedule, which is a change from last season, when schools took the lead while working with the league.

► Teams cannot play three games in a week in back-to-back weeks. If there is a three-game week, the following week maxes out at two games.

► Teams cannot play games on back-to-back days.

“We didn’t want to put too many provisions in to make it harder to reschedule, but at the same time you have to protect student-athletes from playing too many games in a week,” Felt explained. “That was everyone’s concern. We don’t want to put them at risk.”

RELATED: Myles Cale's legacy grows with each defensive stop

[​IMG]
      Dec 9, 2021; Newark, New Jersey, USA; against the Seton Hall Pirates fans cheer during the second half against the Texas Longhorns at Prudential Center. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports
      Giving the conference full authority to reschedule was important after the 2020-21 experience, when gamesmanship played a role in determining which postponed contests eventually got played. That doesn’t mean the jigsaw puzzle gets easier, though.

“As a coach when you look at a schedule, what do you care about: How much rest do we have and how much rest is the other team on?” Felt said. “That’s going to go out the window a little bit. You’re going to have to reschedule some programs that are coming off four days’ rest against others that have one day’s rest. That’s the nature of the beast with this kind of thing. You’re going to have some inequalities.”

► Arena availability will be low on the list factors. Most Big East schools play at least some home games in arenas they do not own. Concerts and other events dot the calendars. Some schools, like Seton Hall, are secondary tenants to professional sports teams.

“We all said that can’t be a big factor,” Felt said. “You would never be able to reschedule some of these games. It might not happen, but you may have to bite the bullet and play in your campus arena in some cases.”

► The Big East’s television partner, Fox Sports, will have a significant hand in the process.

“We want the games televised,” Felt said.

► The pecking order for rescheduling is chronological.

“They’re going to reschedule games in the order of cancellation, so we’re up first with St. John’s,” Felt said. “We should be informed about that pretty soon.”

The likelihood of Seton Hall making up St. John’s at home and DePaul on the road, Felt said, “is good.” Beyond that, all bets are off.

“There are going to be games, whether it’s us or other schools, where there’s no window for it to be rescheduled,” Felt said.

2. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,486
    Butler should just host a Big East Bubble.

bumba, BNiche and ButlerProf like this.
  3. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,582
    Just one more reason to love Ed Cooley.

ButlerNut, BNiche, ButlerProf and 4 others like this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    It's hard not to love Cooley.

ButlerNut and BoyGeoff like this.
  5. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,349
    I mean, I would love someone with his Xs and Os mastery to be on our staff. Sure, they haven’t had the best tourney performances, but he always seemingly has his team prepared and his strategies are fun and usually effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut likes this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Marquette was down by 17 to Creighton then came back in the second half to send it into OT. In OT Marquette was up 4 with 3.3 seconds to go. Instead of fouling Creighton hits a three at the buzzer sending it into a second OT which Creighton won 75-69.

Kolek point guard for Marquette is really good. Like Hawkins for Creighton.

7. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    Marquette should have fouled while up 3 in OT. Creighton had 3 players in who shoot better than 35% from behind the arc. Also Marquette was just completely gassed in 2OT.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerNut, bumba and Insane Dawg like this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Agree I don’t understand not fouling.

9. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,226
    Good thing comparative scores don't mean anything because Providence is up 42 to 17 at DePaul.

10. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,839
    And David Jones is playing today for DePaul.

11. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,582
    Jones's stat line: 3 points, 8 rebounds, 4 turnovers

DePaul brought it back a bit in the second half to make it at least a little less embarrassing: 70-53 final.

On the other hand, Nova and Hall's game was great. It will be interesting to watch AT on Aiken. In Hall's last two games, they have had only eight eligible players. The eighth player has played only two minutes total in those games, including today's when Hall had three players foul out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    Always foul up 3. End of story.

13. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,839
    Amen!!!

willisbrown likes this.
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097

At the 9:30 mark in the first half Depaul trailed Providence 20-14 yesterday. They didn’t score a point even bricking free throws until a three at the buzzer to end the half. Half time score was 42-17. Had they not hit that three it would have been a 20-0 run over the last 9:30.

MSUDawg likes this.
  15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    It’s not an “always foul” it’s more nuanced than that. For example, If you’re up 3 and there is 1.5 seconds left-it’s more complex than that. If you can foul on the catch, great! Do it! But if they catch and dribble you should defend. Why? Because now they have to get a shot up so the chances of you fouling someone in the act of shooting skyrocket.

Handling “up 3” situations should absolutely be something you practice.

16. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603

I’ll second that notion.

Something I’ve noticed (and read a time or two) is that sometimes teams don’t prepare themselves for something as simple as fouling before time runs out. The natural instinct is to defend without fouling, so when asked to do the opposite sometimes players hesitate; for instance they may be afraid they’ll foul someone in the act of shooting, or perhaps they forget to have a plan B if the first foul attempt doesn’t work. At the end of the Oklahoma game, I initially was okay with Butler playing it out to end regulation; when Oklahoma made the three, my first thought was “Please don’t foul the guy while shooting.”

17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,283
    You should never ask players to make decisions they have never had practice making.

The Oklahoma situation presented them with a *perfect* situation where they should have fouled, but when they missed it-they were correct not to. (What you said)

18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,796
    NCJon and 2xDawg like this.
  19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,959
    It is. But not by much. And always fouling is way better than never fouling or being indecisive about it.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

willisbrown and tobystorrs like this.
  20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,283
    I generally agree, but it should be given thought every time. If its a situation where the player is likely going to go from catching the ball to shooting the ball immediately, you probably don’t foul unless you can do so on the catch.

While I agree that fouling is the preferable strategy, it is also the only strategy that can lead to you losing in regulation, and that has to to be kept in mind.

Not fouling has a likely minimum win probability of 80%. (50/50 ot win and 60% chance the 3 is missed)

If you make a mistake and give even a 75% foul shooter three shots your win probability is now worse than if you hadn’t fouled. They also have a greater than zero chance of making any shot.

Basically, if you’re going to foul, you have little margin for error. If you’re not going to foul, you have a lot of margin for error. Who and where you foul someone should 100% be discussed.