Big East Expansion

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Oct 15, 2021.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,271
    Moraga is like 20 min from SF. Or 4 hours under normal Bay Area traffic. The only two schools anyone I know actually cares about out there are Stanford and then somewhat Cal Berkley.

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,101
    Moraga is one of the prettiest places I’ve been. It was much further than 20 mins, but not too far.

SMC does not have the facilities to be in the Big East. They don’t even have a training room in the same building as their gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,805
    Personally, I think Dayton is the most realistic and acceptable add. Sure, Gonzaga would be great, but I don't see it happening. They should be in the Pac 12 or Big 12.

If Vandyever got kicked out of the SEC then I would welcome them in because of them being in Nashville.

If the ACC folds, then give me Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame, or Cuse (in that order). Adding Duke would make us the best basketball conference in the nation, they also have a ****ty football program, good academics and a relatively small undergrad enrollment.

2xDawg likes this.
  4. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $736
    Any of those teams would be a good addition to the conference, and all of them are easy to hate. Sign me up.

2xDawg likes this.
  5. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,072
    There's a parable/lesson that I think is applicable here that I learned back in my sales days.
    A customer walks into a hardware store and says "I need a drill." The inclination is to show the customer a whole bunch of drills and say "which one do you want?" But really, the customer isn't coming in because he needs a drill. He's coming in because he needs a hole. So the more helpful question is "what kind of hole are you looking to make?"

"Adding a 12th team" should not be the goal. Improving the league is the goal, so the league should look for a solution to that problem, if it even is a problem. Perhaps FOX finds the league strong enough as it is to renew a similar TV package. Maybe expansion is the necessary and best tool to move the needle...if it needs to be moved. Maybe it's not.

My personal opinion is that the league should stay as it is.

The ONLY viable and realistic* option for expansion is Gonzaga in Men's and Women's basketball. GUWBB has won their conference every year but one since 2005, and has been a single-digit NCAA seed 4 times. They wouldn't challenge to win the league, but could be a helpful addition in order to keep MBB/WBB together for GU.

*Unrealistic but would move the needle is ND. ND's agreement with the ACC is too good as it is to even consider budging. I would suspect that if the Gonzaga stuff comes to fruition, a condition of their continued membership for all other sports is guaranteed non-con games against WCC competition. ND Football does the same thing; they're not officially part of the ACC in football, but they are contractually required to play 5+ ACC FB games each season.

#60, NCJon, tlp63 and 2 others like this.
  6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,101
    Completely agree here. If a team doesn’t generate excitement and near universal enthusiasm, what’s the point?

On the Notre Dame thought-why does everyone view super conferences as the future? How does that make more sense than just abolishing conferences?

7. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,546
    Expansion doesn't make sense if the TV deal with the potential school divided by 12 doesn't exceed the deal without / 11 by a substantial margin. The added travel costs, and unbalanced schedule make me pretty leery of any additions.

8. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $588
    Speaking strictly in economic terms related to a product to sell.....aside from Nova and maybe UCONN, does anyone really think that any other Big East school could get a similar TV package (pro rata) alone as they do as part of the Big East? The economic value of networks buying a Conference product, as opposed to buying a lone small private school such as most BE schools, is why I see conferences being part of the NCAA landscape for the foreseeable future. It's all about market power and the sum of the parts being greater than the individual parts of the product.

BoyGeoff, PSUButlerFan and #60 like this.
  9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,101
    The problem with the assumption here is that you’re ignoring what is in it for those both driving and spending money.

It likely would be best for Alabama football to sell broadcast rights separately than to receive the sec per team share from the SEC network and CBS. It would also be better for the networks to spend more for Bama football than they do now, but not have to pay for Vandy and Mizzou football also.

There’s a win on both sides of the table here. More schools do lose than win, but that’s not really a factor that networks care about.

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,207
    Precisely. The question isn’t whether an expansion candidate can match the revenue/ratings contributed by some current Big East members or even the average Big East member. The question is whether the expansion candidate can clearly *exceed* the median Big East member’s contribution to revenue/ratings/conference profile.

Put another way: the question isn’t whether the candidate is at least as good as DePaul or Seton Hall for the conference. The question is whether they’ll do as much as, e.g., Marquette, for the conference.

seadawg likes this.
  11. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,558
    St. Mary's College is only 6 miles from Oakland, 9 miles from Berkeley, and about 15 miles from San Francisco. Another way to look at it is, Moraga is closer to Oakland and Berkeley than San Francisco is.

It's all jammed in together. It's all the exact same recruiting area.

2xDawg likes this.
  12. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $736
    Exactly.
    See: our crappy radio deal that was just announced.

Gregory Roach likes this.
  13. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,502
    Not sure who said it, but expansion is going to come when the economics dictate it - and in the current environment, that is more likely sooner than later.

14. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $793
    I'm actually a proponent of leaving the Big East and forming a TRUE Midwest conference of private schools. B.E. added UConn, a large public university. The ONLY public university in the conference now. Another school in THE EAST to compete with for recruits. If there's a highly touted recruit on the east coast, do you actually think we're going to get that kid? That was a slap in the face to Creighton, Marquette, Butler, DePaul and Xavier. I would be in favor of those five schools forming their own conference and inviting Dayton, St. Louis and Wichita St. (maybe two others) for a true Midwestern conference of private schools.

15. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $17,271
    While this might be cool or fun from a basketball perspective, this is insanely dumb from a $$$$ perspective.

You dump UConn, Nova and Georgetown? Those are by far your three biggest basketball brands. And it’s not close.

Zero chance this will or should ever happen.

I get it - I’m in favor of OU/Texas staying in the Big 12, but Money talks.

16. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $793
    I totally understand the money aspect. I also know we haven't come close to competing for a conference championship since leaving the Horizon. Look who we have on our front line and what our competitors have.

17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,101
    This is the type of post that you want to follow up with by claiming that your account got hacked.

Ps. If you don’t want UCONN bc they’re public-you’re really gonna want to read the first sentence of the Wichita State University Wikipedia page.

2xDawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  18. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811
    While I realize that men's basketball is the money maker at Butler, conference affiliation is not restricted to one sport. There are other sports at Butler that have been quite competitive in the Big East and have won Big East Championships.

19. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $17,271
    Didn't Butler finish 2nd in 2015? Or some year. We were a two seed in the BET? Maybe I have a crap memory.

#60 likes this.

#60 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,457
    Yes. The 2016-17 season. (At the risk--& without the intention--of going down the proverbial "rabbit hole," it was Holtmann's last season at BU.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Big_East_Conference_men's_basketball_season

PSUButlerFan likes this.