Big East future?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by tjreese, Apr 12, 2019.

1. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $173
    Does anyone see the Big East combining with another conference or just adding more teams down the road? Right now the Big East (10 teams) shares the landscape with the Big Ten (14 teams) and the ACC (15 teams). With the Net appearing to be the a major determiner of NCAA Tourney seeds, will a school like Butler be able to schedule enough quality teams outside the conference to compete with the larger conferences to get a great NET year in and year out or can a smaller conference "quickly" adjust a schedule outside the conference to actually be in a better position? If the other schools (Big/ACC) due to conference size and quality are able to create a good NET, what happens to typically smaller conferences with good teams that can't improve their schedules enough? None of this is to diminish the good teams in the Big East, but is strictly a potential math problem. Does that lead to more recruiting hurdles in 5-10 years or so and the cycle continues?

I know this won't happen because Butler is not a research school, but if Butler were in the Big (since it is in Indy) I could see Butler pulling additional players that were considering IU and Purdue to Butler and becoming "THE" Big Ten basketball team in Indiana.

Regardless, do people see the smaller conference AND NET being an obstacle down the road or do you think the schedule can be adjusted quickly enough to actually be an advantage?

2. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $154
    Smaller conference could lead to some issues, but as long as you have in-season tournaments and challenges, getting a good NET number is reliant on the Big East winning those OOC games. Recruiting will always be difficult going against Big Ten and ACC schools. Imagine how the A10 feels - they used to be just outside of power status - and now they are akin to the 2000's Horizon.

3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Why does this get raised every off-season? The Big East doesn't need to expand.

Butler clearly isn't having trouble scheduling enough quality non-conference games, and neither are any of the other Big East teams.

4. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $295
    Adding more schools to the conference slate would likely mean fewer games against Villanova in exchange for more against Dayton. Not ideal.

5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Because we no longer have the summer time thread "Why don't they sell beer at Hinkle?"

ButlerNut, BulldogsFTW, fdr and 8 others like this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Having a good NET can be obtained by winning every game by a lot. You don’t need to do it against a tough schedule. To raise your NET you just have to outperform what the computers expect you to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    Did the Big Ten “need” to add Maryland or Rutgers? Did the SEC need mizzou? Did the PAC need Utah?

I agree the Big East doesnt need to add anyone. And I hope they don’t. But that doesn’t mean they won’t and I’m sure they’re always considering.

2xDawg and Army Dawg!!! like this.
  8. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    Both of those conferences have cable television networks that made the additions of two new schools in markets where their networks didn't have widespread carriage incredibly lucrative.

The Big East has nothing comparable and never will.

The financial gain to the Big Ten of adding Rutgers and Maryland and for the SEC of adding Texas A&M and Mizzou far outweighed any competition concerns or added cost concerns in ways that no two schools in the country could provide to the Big East. But you're right in that they didn't "need" to add those schools.

tjreese and bmradio99 like this.
  9. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $280
    I think expansion is good for what u just said. Those other conferences didn’t need those teams to join, but sometimes if ur not evolving ur falling behind. I would love to see the Big East add a few teams. Been begging for UCONN for a few years (probably won’t happen because of football). I don’t want low major teams but adding a couple teams with good resumes would t hurt at all.

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    The Big East expanding its home market base would - or at least could - greatly impact its next TV contract with a network. You don’t need your own network for that to be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. NCJon

Money:
    $6,277
    There's a huge difference between the carriage fees of a cable network and the added benefit of one or two additional markets in a broadcast rights contract.

That's the reason that as of this fall four of the five "power five" conferences will have cable networks. The only reason it isn't 5/5 is because of the Longhorn Network and UT refusing to give it up.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    Not arguing it’s not a bigger impact for them with their having their own network. Just pointing out that the same type of advantages for those conferences will also apply to and be considered by the Big East; even if the degree of advantage is different, the kind of advantage is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,781
    Let’s also remember that the BTN is there because these schools have year-round major conference sports (namely football and basketball). BE doesn’t need a dedicated network. Fall programming would turn into episodes of “Raul’s Wild Kingdom” and “Conan The Librarian”, with Stanley Spudowski’s Funhouse airing on prime time.

14. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $115
    I would like UConn to join. Jeff Goodman tweeted during the Big East tournament that it’s just not the same without Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and UConn playing in the Garden. Never say never, but I highly doubt the first two will ever come back due to football. UConn on the other hand has supposedly discussed dropping their football program down to the FCS level because they would like to come back to the conference. Problem is would you have to add another school in order to have an even number?

I like having 10 teams, but IMO if the conference can add a few more quality programs I think they should. My goal would be to get 7-8 teams from the conference in the March madness tourney every year and that’s asking a lot with only having 10 teams.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  15. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $539
    You don't necessarily need an even number. Big 10 had 11 teams for years, you can still do a round robin schedule by bumping up the schedule to 20 games, which a lot of conferences appear to be leaning toward already.

16. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $842
    Eventually someone will sue a university over brain damage from college football. At that point some University presidents will abandon football as not compatible with the school's mission (no matter how lucrative). The Big East will be in a great position to absorb a team or two. Until then, I think we should stand Pat.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $412
    I'm not even sure a lawsuit over brain damage is even necessary as insurance market may soon price out these programs anyway. But your point is still well taken.

Completely off thread topic, but anyone know Butler's insurance cost with football?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,781
    The amount of dollars some of the programs generate make the insurance pricing moot (they’ll pay it), but it will make it increasingly difficult for smaller programs and leagues to justify it.

I can see it being a very real conversation in the next ten to fifteen years.

19. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $173
    I think the NET has changed some things. Now it may not matter, but large conferences will have more games with conference schools which "could" help the Net. Now if you can schedule enough quality games outside the conference or the conference is great from top to bottom ...no problem.

20. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $173
    I think it was a HUGE win for Rutgers...more than the BIG. It was all about expanded exposure to add Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska. I suspect Rutger benefits greatly down the road. Personally, I prefer the home and home schedule and less teams, but the revenue generated in this arms race expanded the conference

bobbu64 likes this.