Big East future?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by tjreese, Apr 12, 2019.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,006
    It’s a shame the BIG bailed them out. With the BE collapsing, Rutgers could have rotted away into oblivion in the AAC or something like that. Instead they get to go 1-11 every year in football and finish in the bottom few in basketball. So happy the BIG added them.... not

BU Fan in Illinois and tjreese like this.
  2. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    I wouldn't mind seeing UConn back in, but that's about it.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  3. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $115
  4. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $227
    CarlosDanger likes this.
  5. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $115
    Same. It’s a sad reality. The program and athletic department have made huge strides, but still not close to the top of the Big East and the elites of college basketball.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    I think most of the individual rankings are close enough that it's not worth arguing, except I'm not sure how our recruiting base - defined as "proximity to players" - is 9th out of 10? That doesn't really make any sense.

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    My guess it’s because we’re competing with IU and Purdue

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $187
    for a less populated state like Indiana, you have ND, Purdue, IU and Butler in the big leagues and Ind State, Ball State, Valpo and Evansville typically a step below

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    That was my thought initially, but again it defines recruiting base as "proximity to players". But yeah, it's probably that the survey participants don't read well and that's what they were thinking, I suppose.

tjreese likes this.
  10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    I think you'd rather be in a talent hotbed with lots of programs than a talent desert without many competitors. One example: Indiana and Minnesota have similar population sizes. One is a basketball hotbed recruited by every legit program from coast to coast; the other plays hockey. One has 7 DI basketball programs; the other has 1. End result is Indiana having four programs better than Minnesota's lone soldier.

tjreese likes this.
  11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Well the inherent inconsistency here is that they penalized Creighton for being in an unfertile recruiting area for the exact opposite situation as us.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

tjreese likes this.
  12. tjreese

tjreese Active Member

Money:
    $187
    Today, more than years ago...proximity doesn't seem to weigh as much though...

13. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $144
    The only way the team leaves the BE is if the league suddenly wants to become more football centric. Don’t see Butler being able to sustain scholarship football, and the price tag for facility upgrades would be cost prohibitive.

What needs to occur is that the operations and recruiting ends of hoops need to be prioritized in future fund raising campaigns. Tie the coaching staff increases to performance and put the money into the recruiting budget. The practice facility is also a need, but there is a question of where it can be located.

I don’t believe the program can sustain success with a regional recruiting emphasis. What we see this year is more of what needs to happen. That means money. The admission requirements are always gonna be a challenge, so the net needs to be broader.

14. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,313
    The Big East doesn't sponsor football, and only Georgetown, Nova, and Butler field teams at all. I wouldn't be too concerned with the league becoming football centric.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Hinkle Nation, BoyGeoff and NCJon like this.
  15. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,190
    I like this idea. The BE has always been a football conference, and Butler would be a top 3 program every year.

Butler knocked off #1 Youngstown last year. This could be BU path to a national championship!!!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app