Big East Recruiting Notes

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 10, 2013.

1. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,301
    Can we lay off Cinci? Lived there my whole life except for BU and Med School

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,845
    Who Dey, MD!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,289
    if memory serves correct, I believe it's 06-16?

This graph has been discussed before somewhere in here... don't know if it ever got it's own thread, but I've been thinking about adding/starting some new threads to update some stuff, particularly recruiting notes 4.0

4. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,544
    Skyline chili sucks. Alright I'm done now.

SpartanDawgs, Mad_Dawg 48 and UDDawg like this.
  5. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,301
    Acquired taste, just like certain beers. The problem is it’s a misnomer. It’s not chili. It’s a sauce. But I eat it none the less. Indy had a skyline when I was in college - all you can eat three ways on Thursday nights. Don’t think that lasted to long cuz we brought 20 football guys for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,078
    Yep. Andrew Chrabascz type forward. I briefly mentioned him from Peach Jam. If Butler had been looking for a 2019 forward I would have been interested in him. He's not a program changer or anything but he's solid.

7. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512

again it's hilarious to me that you think that BU and Indy aren't incredibly similar to XU and Cincy....I'm from indiana....have we visited the same cities? Are you confusing Indianapolis with Chicago? And Butler with Northwestern?

For the record they've been exceptionally well at beating butler recently I'd say. :)

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    Not going to be guilty of derailment anymore than I already am and tell you all of the reasons the above is moronic. Not sure it'd be comprehended anyway. Most relevant point is this: don't come on this board giddy about X and expect rainbows and butterflies. It's really not complicated.

9. xfan1989

Money:
    $512
    yeah....well...that's just like your opinion, man.

10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,215
    Define "recently" please. Butler is 2-3 against X over the last two seasons. Each team swept the other in regular season and X won a BEast tournament game against Butler (where we all know Butler falters).

Oh, and last year, when X beat Butler, X was ranked #5 and had to go to OT to win. So yes, please tell me more how X is "dominating" Butler "recently."

You and I have gotten along well, and I have been among those that defend you for your basketball knowledge. But come on, trolling the BU board trying to get converters to X is just not a smart decision.

11. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,784
    Indy and Cincinnati are very similar. Almost identical metropolitan sizes, high in crime rates and waspy as f***.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    I called it a has-been city; by any objective measure, it is. Its trajectory is (relatively) bleak. Population is just one measure, but it's the easiest to find while I eat my lunch. The Cincy metro had significantly more people than the Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbus, Indy, and Denver Metro areas in the mid-twentieth century. It had as many or more people than the Dallas, Miami, Seattle, and Houston metros. All of these metros have at least as many people today as cincy, and some several times more (e.g., Dallas, Atlanta, Houston). Other than other has-been Midwest cities (St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Detroit), the vast majority of other US cities are on significnantly different trajectories. I mean, Cincy's metro population was 1.8 million in 1980. It was 2.18 in 2017. (Indy's metro population has doubled in that period.)

The data is considerably worse if you look at the city-limits population: Cincy once had over half a million people and today it's less than 300,000.

These are just facts. I didn't use "has-been" randomly.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  13. xfan1989

Money:
    $512

Obviously a matter of opinion. And believe me I'll never forget that game when we won at hinkle last year, one my favorites of all time, went up 20 blew the lead, then Butler hit some crazy 3s to bring a 7 point lead to a tie. Then Blueitt showed up in a big way in his hometown. That shush gives me goosebumps thinking of it.

X is 10-3 vs. Butler since joining BE- which I guess i'd define as recent. Even if you get the mulligan of the miller year that's still 8-3. That seems pretty lopsided to me personally but just my opinion.

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,226
    Just curious what's your record against Nova?

15. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $94
    You know, without a lot of recruiting buzz since Butler's all filled up for 2019 and the season still a couple months away, sometimes it's nice to relive the classics and get everyone up in arms.

I didn't realize Butler played X 3 times in the Big East tournament. So I looked. And they haven't. X is 9-3 against Butler in the 5 years of the Big East, which, great for X. I'm happy with how Butler's done overall in that time with 3 coaching changes. I root for Xavier, just like I root for all Big East teams during the non-conference and tournament portion of the schedule. Hopefully Butler's able to start getting the level of recruit that Xavier, Providence and Marquette have gotten, but if not, as long as they continue to represent themselves and the University well on and off the court, I'm sure I'll continue to be happy with the program regardless of the results against one particular school.

Tybuhoops and shoeevv like this.
  16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,229
    X definitely leading in the arrest record and dismissal of active players recently. And historically.

BulldogCTM and theenforcer13 like this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    Agree your BE numbers-to-date are accurate, but X hasn't had three different coaches during that time frame. That makes an impact on recruiting. It will be interesting to see how Steele does recruiting the Midwest against Mack & Boltmann. X's incoming 2018 class is filled with mid-major grad transfers & the high schooler rankings look fairly weak : https://247sports.com/college/xavier/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits/

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    Aside from failing to count correctly, as IrishDawg pointed out, the bigger issue with your point is that it isn't at all responsive to the point of mine to which you were trying to respond. No one disputes that X has done a great job convincing players to go there. But their results on the court are exactly average when taking into account the level of players they have convinced to attend. Xavier is better than most programs at getting good 17 year old hoopers excited about attending. But it isn't doing much else, if anything, above average, or it'd have had more success than it has.

And none of this even goes into the off the court factors - which of course you don't care about - but which of course should be considered in evaluating the quality of the program.

Tybuhoops likes this.
  19. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Playing the head to head game is the talk of losers. It’s what Purdue fans do with IU because they have nothing else.

The only thing that matters is how a team performs in the NCAA Tournament. It’s safe to say X (and Purdue) is historically an underachiever when it counts.

20. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $94
    I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that Xavier is underachieving in the NCAA tournament, but they certainly haven't overachieved either. To be fair though, since the F4 runs, Butler's pretty much done what they were supposed to do in the tourney as well.

Yes, X did make the Elite 8 as an 11 seed, but they had underachieved relative to their talent level during the year (losing Sumner hurt), and with mostly the same pieces in place were a 1 seed (though they were seeded higher than they should have been) the following season.

Now Purdue for the most part has underachieved in the NCAA tourney. That I definitely agree with.

BulldogCTM likes this.