Big East Recruiting Notes

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 10, 2013.

1. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    Oh we're like 1-9 against them maybe? It's pretty bad.

Yep my bad 9-3 not sure where I added that last 1 from, even if you go to the lone A10 year we split 1-1 - had what I recall was a really good game in Hinkle too (butler had the Arkansas Grad transfer can't recall his name) think it was late feb and ended up being one of Brad's last games in Hinkle. Horrible season for X (missed NIT) but was full of "close games" that they could never punch in.

Definitely going to be interesting to see how it plays out. Can't blame 2018 on steele though that was all Mack's doing. He followed up our best recruiting class ever with our worst in recent memory Holt man to OSU and archie to IU certainly hurt. I'm encouraged with Steele's efforts so far though. We'll see how it goes.

This is where we differ though. You have this scrappy underdog mentality where you always want to overachieve. I'm fine with just hitting the mark- i'm not fine with hitting below status quo. If we hit our mark last year we were a 1 seed and theoretically one of the 4 best teams in the country = final 4. We didn't hit that which was obviously very disappointing. I'm fine with having a top 3 recruiting class and placing top 3 in the big east. I'm more than fine with the trajectory of our program. I can only hope we stay status quo. History shows we've gotten better with each coach. Not sure I can count on that this time (cycle must break at some point) but I'm encouraged none the less.

lol if head to head doesn't matter I'm sure I won't see you in game threads next year and you won't care about the X Butler games at all....might as well just watch NCAA tournament if that's the only thing that counts!
    We underachieved in 2018 (1 seed) and 2016 (2 seed) 100%. Make it to the sweet 16 those years and that's not the narrative. Arguably overachieved in 2015 (6 seed to sweet 16) and 2017 (11 seed to elite 8). Average all that out and you're probably right back to what Hinkle said - average. My whole argument here- I've been a season ticketholder the last 4 years. If that's average then give it to me every single year....it includes a victory at every BE venue (outside pavillion), winning record at MSG, Big East outright championship, winning record in NCAA tournament, #2 all time scorer, 9-4 vs. Rivals,and countless memorable moments. I think a lot of teams would be more than happy with that average success. I'm not here trying to throw flames, Hinkle just made an interesting point, and I don't even disagree with it. I'm personally happy with it- we've raised expectations and continue to meet them for the most part. Would be nice to overachieve them, but I'm not dissatisfied with achieving.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    I had no idea that wanting above-average outputs relative to inputs meant someone had a scrappy underdog mentality.

Regarding the underlined, for the millionth time: X was severely overseeded last year relative to the true quality of their team - the most overseeded team in the tournament. I'm fairly certain I told you months in advance of the tournament they were at high risk of a second round exit. They won a ton of close games, which data indicates is extraordinarily lucky. Xavier was a top 20 team last year. (Relatedly, Xavier was extremely lucky each of the last 3 seasons - data says none of those teams were as good as their record indicated. The pendulum will swing back the other way.)

Lastly, your entire post is a concession that the only way Xavier gets better than a top 20ish team year in and year out is if they get even higher ranked players. Well, outside of becoming Kentucky, that's not going to happen - you're already routinely pulling 4 and 5 star players and the ceiling has been a top 15-20ish team. Still want to just hit average results? I suppose no, otherwise the only possible direction is down.

3. xfan1989

Money:
    $512
    we're rountinely pulling 5 star players? Guess I've been missing out on that.

We're apparently top 20ish by your standard despite spending a large amount of time in the top 10 rankings the last few years. I think we're closer to 10 than 20 last 4 years. Might've had a high luck factor and won close games, but there's also something to be said for players and coaches that are able to make those plays and calls.

Again i am fine with status quo. It's been good to me as a fan of the program. If we can continue to replicate the last 4 years sign me up today please. Down to a matter opinion clearly, in which case you're certainly right and i'm certainly wrong.

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    There have been 10 4 star recruits since the 2014 class. I thought Scruggs and Blueitt were five stars (five star being top 30ish players); they weren't - they were top 50ish, though. If that's not routinely pulling great players, I don't know what is. Convenient to ignore the "4 star" part of what I said though. Seems about right.

Regarding rankings, I'm not sure where to begin. If you think the AP/Coaches poll mean much about how good you actually are, it's going to be tough to help you. Xavier's teams the last four years have finished 21, 14, 31, and 15. If you want to call that top 10, you go right ahead. But then I guess Butler's finishes of 20, 30, 25, and 20 also get to be top 10 I guess.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  5. xfan1989

Money:
    $512
    you're just funny. You literally rag on me for being 1 win off and saying 10 instead of 9. But when I point out that we don't routinely pull 5 stars....and in fact we've never signed a single 5 star. Then my god why take things so seriously/literally??

End of the day- i hope for more of the same for Xavier. Been an awesome ride last few years, I hope it continues and compounds- but looking around the country that's not always the case- so got to enjoy it while you can.

Done derailing this thread though- GGs Hinkle.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,836
    I would have thought advanced metrics would have been used by now to end this argument. 2018-2019 season can't get here soon enough.

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    I literally acknowledged my mistake right in the post. I'm not sure what else I could've done. Maybe put it in bold? Apologize? I'm sorry I thought Bluiett and Scruggs were ranked around 30 instead of 40-50. It would've been more accurate to write "routinely pulling players ranked 40 to 150," and I wished I'd have written that so you wouldn't have deflected from the relevant points while you put your tail between your legs and ran. . Gotta hate pesky data and facts. Have a great day!

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,556
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,556
  10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,215
    I apologize for sounding dumb (those of you that know me know that I have to make that apology a LOT ;) ), but the way I read the scholarship chart, Butler is full for this season AND next season, correct? Obviously, that is excluding someone leaving the program.

So Class of '20 is the earliest recruit that could be signed?

Thanks in advance...

11. BHayden

BHayden Well-Known Member

Money:
    $491
    Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,215
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,556
  14. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $93
  15. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,288
    looks at Nova's 2019 class

[​IMG]

UDDawg likes this.
  16. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,717
    This is an exceptional pick up for Nova.

17. Dawg Guy

Dawg Guy Active Member

Money:
    $441
    Latest update on Isaiah Stewart is that they are the leader there as well. Would be a ridiculous class and even scarier given the existing roster and current Freshman.

18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,221
    talk about your reload...

19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,836
    Every player on Villanova's roster will be ranked in the top 150. The rest of the BE will be playing for second place for the foreseeable future.

20. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,543
    Maybe Ben Simmons never learns to shoot and Markelle Fultz never relearns how to shoot and the Sixers collapse under the weight of their own expectations and fire Brett Brown and then offer a massive contract to Jay Wright, which he accepts?

I can't think of any other path to stopping 'Nova's dominance. They're rolling right now.