Big East Tournament (through 2/28/16)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MUBasketball, Feb 28, 2016.

1. MUBasketball

MUBasketball New Member

Money:
    $5
    No changes from last Sunday's bracket:

[​IMG]

2. DawgsFreak25

DawgsFreak25 Member

Money:
    $14
    I think I'd be content if this is the draw we end up with.

3. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Yesterday's win all but guarantees Butler will finish ahead of Georgetown and avoids the play-in round. SH/Prov/Creigh are all very beatable, so Butler has 3 very winnable games to get 2 wins and make the NCAA tournament.

4. bu97

bu97 Super Moderator

Money:
    $530
    I ran through my scenario spreadsheet after today's games. Assuming I didn't screw up a tiebreaker somewhere, this is what I show as potential BE tourney seeds heading into the final week (probabilities per Pomeroy):

Villanova: 1 (100%)
    Xavier: 2 (100%)
    Seton Hall: 3 (99.2%), 4 (0.8%)
    Creighton: 3 (0.8%), 4 (39.3%), 5 (29.9%), 6 (29.2%), 7 (0.8%)
    Providence: 4 (52.4%), 5 (19.7%), 6 (22.5%), 7 (5.3%), 8 (<0.1%)
    Butler: 4 (5.9%), 5 (42.1%), 6 (37.1%), 7 (12%), 8 (2.8%)
    Marquette: 4 (1.5%), 5 (8.2%), 6 (7.4%), 7 (43.6%), 8 (39.3%)
    Georgetown: 5 (0.2%), 6 (3.8%), 7 (38.3%), 8 (57.8%)
    DePaul: 9 (100%)
    St. John's: 10 (100%)

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,545
    Marquette " should" end the regular season 8-10, Providence 10-8, Creighton 9-9, GT 8-10 and Butler " could" end 10-8 and thus tied with Providence for fourth.

6. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,112
    I'm probably in the minority, but I want one more shot at Xavier. If we take care of business this week that probably won't happen though. Unless we see them in the BE final...who knows? It could happen.

7. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $482
    I want the 4/5 draw so the Dawgs can finally give it back to Providence and then get a third crack at Nova.

8. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,112
    I'm not counting out anything with this team. I think they're better than a lot of people realize. I just think the BE is that good coupled with the fact we pissed a few games away.

9. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $482
    Truth. Amazing how different the outside opinion/mentality would be if we had taken one of those three @CU, PC, or MU and we were sitting at 9-7 instead of 8-8. Let's get these last two and exhale a bit for the BET.

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    Agree, beating PC in the tournament would be ideal. I can't imagine we would lose to them 3 times.

11. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $343
    +1

12. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $343
    Of course we want another shot X or V. Win the first game and we get that shot. Think about that, we may get a shot at the number one NCAA team, in our oun tournament OK I know, we just did this last week and lost. But we were in it mid way through the second half.

13. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $520
    Definitely hoping Butler gets the 6 seed. I think you all have a better shot at beating SH than we do.

14. LifeLongDogFan

LifeLongDogFan New Member

Money:
    $14
    If we win our last two games we have a good shot to be in the 4/5 game. We are fighting with Creighton and Providence, and unfortunately both teams hold the tiebreaker over us (Providence head-to-head, Creighton because they beat X.) The only way we get pushed down to the sixth seed is if both teams end tied with us at 10-8. For that to happen Providence needs to win both remaining games (vs Creighton and @SJU) and Creighton needs to lose to Providence and beat X again... in Cincy ... on Senior day. If Creighton beats Providence or loses to Xavier we move up to the 5 seed. We would also pass Providence if they lose to SJU, but I don't want to hang our hopes on that.

Obviously, this is all based on my first sentence, "if we win..." which is by no means a given, but certainly within this team's capabilities.

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,795
    Thanks for the breakdown. I'd calculated last week that we had almost no chance of playing Providence in the 4-5 game, but I thought Creighton had to lose to SJU and MU for that to happen. I think I thought providence had one more loss than they did.

In any event, if we win both games this week, it looks pretty darn likely we won't be the 6 (if CU wins @X this week, more power to them), and it looks like there's a solid chance we will be playing Providence if things work out the way I hope. Providence should beat Creighton at home and SJU on the road, finish 10-8 and be the 4 with Butler as the 5 (assuming X doesn't gag at home to Creighton on senior day).

Because I want another shot at Prov, go friars this week.

16. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $987
    I hate life on the bubble. We better just win out to the BET. I will feel safe then.

17. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    I will feel safe when we cut down the nets at Market Square Arena next weekend.

It will be an interesting discussion of no bad losses vs. lost opportunities (0-4 against X and V) and one that I really want to take out of the committee's hands.

18. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    Are Reggie, Dale, and Rik going to be there?

Boom Baby!

19. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    Wow...showing my age.

Madison Square...whatever.

20. bu97

bu97 Super Moderator

Money:
    $530
    Updated through Tuesday's results:

Villanova: 1 (100%)
    Xavier: 2 (100%)
    Seton Hall: 3 (99.1%), 4 (0.9%)
    Creighton: 3 (0.9%), 4 (40.3%), 5 (27.8%), 6 (31%)
    Providence: 4 (51%), 5 (18%), 6 (22.9%), 7 (8.1%)
    Butler: 4 (5.5%), 5 (41.2%), 6 (34.1%), 7 (19.2%)
    Marquette: 4 (2.3%), 5 (13.1%), 6 (11.9%), 7 (66.6%), 8 (6.1%)
    Georgetown: 7 (6.1%), 8 (93.9%)
    DePaul: 9 (100%)
    St. John's: 10 (100%)