Blue and White Scrimmage 10/23

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by kac12568, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,240
    I just published my takeaways and roster notes from the practices and scrimmages that I was able to attend. It is patron-exclusive and will stay that way, but I know some of you are subs and it's easy to find the articles when I post them here. Will have a few free-to-read pieces out this week in advance of the exhibition, though!

ARTICLE LINK: https://www.patreon.com/posts/57779000

butlerguy03 and znelson15 like this.
  2. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,240
    As far as I was told...Groce, Bolden, and David all sat out today for a combination of rest + minor injuries. Just no reason to play them when they can showcase the young guys.

bumba, znelson15, jeff and 1 other person like this.
  3. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $984
    Thanks Lukas

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,560
    Precautionary for Groce. “Bruising”.

jeff likes this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    Speaking of potential red-shirts, zero issues with Hughes on that list. He showed promise in scrimmage as grinder underneath, who showed a physical nature and an ability to rebound and grab loose balls. The team should have plenty of other options in that regard, which would allow Hughes an extra year to hone his skills, although he appears to understand his role. Thomas on the other hand could be the most effective perimeter defender, outside of Thompson. Thomas was very good both on and off the ball, which could be his calling initially. He also brings some offensive skills to the table. JMO

BoyGeoff likes this.
  6. BUcheer

Money:
    $7,560
    Almost certainly DJ will redshirt, but as you say he showed some promise and he’s already started to transform his body. Pierce does look nice on D, but man he needs a shot doctor. It’ll come around, but just not sure he can get many minutes on D alone considering how offensively challenged they are. I was impressed with Wilmouth on D actually—he was out guarding Chuck and Aaron and his length was giving them fits.

znelson15 and seadawg like this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    I feel confident Thomas can defend multiple positions and could develop into a stopper defensively. Should he be red-shirted? On the fence with that, but a couple games more should provide a definitive answer. As things stand with Tate and Hodges, all options should still be on the table. Simas just needs time to learn his teammates IMO. Obviously he was not very efficient yesterday, but that will change. He simply tried to do too much. Wilmoth moved very well and appeared to be stronger.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    BUcheer likes this.
  8. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $373

I would just like to clarify- I’m not at all discouraged by what I saw out of Simas in the scrimmage. He’s clearly polished enough to handle the ball and run an offense, even if he’s not always sure what decision to make in the moment. The fact that he can probe a defense and have some court vision to find guys is comforting to see in a freshman, whether he’s efficient doing it or not. None of his perimeter shots went in, but he’s clearly been making them in practice before, and he’s not one dimensional on offense. If nothing else, having that skill set at his size means he should be able to exploit SOMEONE on the court this season. He’s definitely not another Jackson Aldridge. ;)

znelson15 and seadawg like this.
  9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,292
    Which is hilarious because Pierce on catch and shoot 3s last year was almost 50% last year. He could have just been pressing yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  10. BUcheer

Money:
    $7,560
    Maybe it was nerves but that rainbow was off the mark a lot.