Blue IV: What does Butler Nation want?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by FRENCH DAWG, Nov 28, 2019.

1. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,123
    Moose is the bulldog that Samantha Smith got maybe a year after Andrew passed. She did name him in honor of her late husband. I know nothing about him being associated with the Blue IV moniker.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,205
    That must be what I'm remembering. Sorry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $382
    No, Blue was not Blue II's mother. His mother was Kongs Margie M. His father was CH Sandy Ridge Too Right Mate. All three live mascots have come from Kong King Kennels and I believe share some common ancestry but are not direct descendants.

4. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,269
    Michael had some things to say about Blue IV.

5. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,468
  6. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,269
    Wasn't really responding to anything specific. I got the impression he was trying to set the program back upright after the "Trip" deviation from the Butler Blue name for the live mascot. He's retiring after this season and I think he wants to set things straight for the Krauss family before he leaves.

7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,747
    I'm guessing some snowflakes needed something to complain about so they criticized how Blue IV isn't a girl.

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,607
    If you read through it all, its pretty clear they’ve gotten some pushback about the name, gender and possibly that BB4 is not a rescue. :rolleyes:

9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,383
    Man this world has almost become unlivable anymore...

godogs91 likes this.
  10. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $496
    I think Blue IV looks handsome and smart. I hope he has a great personality. He’s got a wonderful mentor who’ll train him well.

Trip will be missed. Gotta love a dog that does his own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,109
    Isn't Butler Blue 4 distantly related to Butler Blue 2?

I think that's cool, and if Butler wants to hand pick the best dog to their liking, that's fine. They should be able to. Name him and so forth.

Let's carry on.

BulldogsFTW likes this.
  12. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I don't know much about dog sex (pun intended), but human sex is determined by biology (i.e. "assigned at birth") while gender is currently thought to be a social construct that can vary across cultures. *ducks*

BUcheer likes this.
  13. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,123
    When my child turns 16, I'm going to have a gender reveal party where they can announce to the world their chosen gender. I'd encourage the rest of the world to stop hosting gender reveal parties prior their childs birth.

fdr, tlp63 and DawgsMD like this.
  14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,295
    It'd be great if we could just talk basketball without a heavy dose of transphobia.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  15. NCJon

Money:
    $7,295
    And since y'all brought me there, I highlighted those two comments because they're coming from posters I otherwise respect and enjoy hearing from on basketball.

I debated calling out some of the recent racist and homophobic posts of our new batch of trolls, but chose to ignore them rather than feed the trolls.

shoeevv and IndieDawg like this.
  16. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I'm curious to know why you think my comment (an incredibly simplified explanation of what is admittedly a very nuanced topic) is transphobic. I'm a physician with several transgender coworkers and I care for transgender patients with some frequency. As much as is possible, I try to be respectful of and sensitive to one's gender identity but this is certainly an area in which I am always trying to educate myself and grow.

17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,960
    I thought the original transgender study was on geese?

18. NCJon

Money:
    $7,295
    I probably wouldn't have said anything about your post if it weren't for the flippant one immediately after it. And I am heartened to hear you are open to understanding and try to be respectful of those around you.

What jumped out at me - and perhaps it's the oversimplification - is the conflation of gender identity and gender expression. While gender expression certainly has some elements of being a social construct, i.e. boys wear blue, girls pink, gender identity is core to who someone is. We may not fully understand yet where it comes from, but the case studies have refuted the notion that a child is a blank slate that can be raised with the gender identity of the parent's choosing (i.e. it's just a social construct.) The social construct argument also minimizes the experience of transgender people, who almost universally express a sense of knowing from a very early age that they were different from their birth assigned sex.

Perhaps it wasn't intended, but I took your post as skeptical that some people experience gender identity that differs from a binary sex determination.

PSUButlerFan and fdr like this.
  19. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    Certainly not my intention and agree wholeheartedly. I think the reality is that I tried to distill a very important and complicated matter down to a few sentences, which is probably never a good idea. Words matter.

20. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Active Member

Money:
    $1,991
    I’m disappointed. You guys know that this is an online social media forum right? You’re only allowed to be insensitive, judgmental, and mean spirited. You’re not allowed to make sense, have a sane discourse and work through your differences here!