Bo Hodges - 2021 Wing Transfer (Verbal)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by SnoopDawg, May 7, 2020.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,666
    Yeah, the post you’re replying to is correct. It’s not an “extra year” but a “free year.” Basically, whether you redshirt or not accomplishes the same thing which really sucks since we have two presumable starters out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,047
    As a former D1 coach, I had and the academic advisors had full awareness of any grade situations. We knew straight away when someone was being in trouble. And I was at a mid level D1 non revenue generating sport. So this has to be a transferring of credit deal, which on the outset what the heck is going on if they applied for a waiver knowing full well he wasn't going to be eligible...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Robinzine Crying likes this.
  3. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,539
    Just thinking out loud here, but does the waiver and being academically ineligible allow him to travel with the team whereas a redshirt wouldn't? If that were the case I can see applying even though they knew he wouldn't be able to play, especially with the possibility of ending up in a bubble scenario at some point.

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,296
    It’s likely some baggage from ETSU as well as not meeting expectations for this semester. And agree that BU had to be aware of what was brewing, but there’s only so much that they can or are willing to do—unlike other schools/programs.

estar20dawg likes this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,666
    I’ve had instances where a player became academically ineligible during a road trip.

Normally though, you’re right.

6. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,265
    I would think, with COVID, your ability to surround a kid with help might be limited, as well. I understand the supreme disappointment, no one is more so than me, but I am surprised by the reaction to it.

It also makes sense why LaVall kept the "we'll see" stance the entire time after the waiver was filed. It could also be a factor or even the main reason we got denied when the whole world was getting grants.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.
  7. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $345
    Academic advisors have full access to records. Students still must communicate with profs & coaches. All students are technically protected by FERPA, so relationships are key.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Robinzine Crying and estar20dawg like this.
  8. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $345
    Transfer credits are determined long ago

estar20dawg likes this.
  9. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $345
    Transfer credits are determined long ago. Especially with student athletes, credits are determined because of the ncaa required APR, academic progress rate, to be eligible. We do transcript audits for potential transfer students before they even enroll, so they know what courses they need, etc.

troggy and estar20dawg like this.
  10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,248
    Don’t you come here with your fancy degrees to try and prove Occam’s Razor correct for why a student athlete is academically ineligible... :rolleyes:

we here like our conspiracy theories and then *****ing why unfathomable questions never get answered

TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  11. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,235
    I think the reason Butler didn’t seem even try to push for a waiver is they knew he wouldn’t be eligible, and that they were working toward getting him there as part of the agreement of him signing.

Then, when the NCAA came out stating that everyone gets a waiver, it turned into an “Oh $hit” moment where they could not keep the situation under wraps. LaVall took a gamble on this and, from a very high level, the optics are not good. However, I have a hard time imagining Butler and the staff’s intent was to get him there by next year.

12. DuckOnAModerator

DuckOnAModerator Active Member

Money:
    $86
    Grades don’t transfer. Only credits. So I don’t know what agreement they could have had before signing. This is clearly in relation to his first semester at Butler and not some hole he had to dig out of from his previous institution.

13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Here's to hoping he does not become "the greatest player to never play at Butler".

14. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,693
    This isn't a semester based thing, right? Like there is no way he could somehow become eligible during the second half of the season?

15. DuckOnAModerator

DuckOnAModerator Active Member

Money:
    $86
    Well... it is a semester thing, as in, he didn’t perform well enough during the first semester of school to be eligible for the second semester (when pretty much the entire season is being played this year). But no, he cannot play this season.

16. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,265
    This next semester is critical for next year, though!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,012
    Who holds this distinction currently?

18. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    I would say Kyle Young.

troggy likes this.
  19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,254
    That's a good one, and a fun topic. I'm just trying to go through the decommitments that Butler's had recently:

Kyle Young
    David Caraher (though this was more a Butler decision than him)
    Howard Washington

Any others?

20. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,693
    I don't think I'd consider David Caraher anything close to the best player to not play at Butler. We more than avoided one and saved a schollie there. Howard Washington is in the same boat.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278271/david-caraher

I know Elijah Brown technically played here, but he's definitely the best one to transfer from our program in my memory, even if it may have been good for our program overall.