Brad Stevens - Boston Celtics

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by Bulldog Grit, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    Brad also made a brief appearance on Bad Lip Reading's NBA version a couple days ago. Somewhat appropriate they had him "barking" - right around the 2:22 mark

The predictability of the NBA is what really keeps me from watching the playoffs, though I did watch bits and pieces of the Pacers and Cavs, Celtics and Cavs and Rockets and Warriors series. I really only watch the very beginning of the regular season (because it's basketball and I miss it), and then once college starts I completely forget about it. Obviously I'm in the minority with my viewing habits, but the lack of parity in the NBA is why it doesn't interest me. There are really only 2-3 teams that have a legitimate chance of winning it all right now, and the regular season is pretty pointless except the injuries that occur along the way. Sure Villanova was the best team in college and destroyed all comers once the tourney started, but rarely does the tournament come out exactly as the majority of people predict it will, let alone being able to predict the teams in the final at the very start of the season.

2. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,311
    It was terrible. The officials were inconsistent and made more than a handful of downright egregious errors. Everybody noticed and there is a ton of writing about it in print and on the internet.

Adam Silver has his work cut out for him.

3. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,311
    I hear that argument frequently. If someone has no rooting interest in a team or player and is only watching in hope that someone other than the Warriors wins the championship, then sure, I suppose it can be boring. But if you're only talking about the eventual winner, you have to be honest with yourself about the NCAA, too. Since 1998, six teams (Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Connecticut, Florida, Villanova) have won a combined 16 championships. And the other teams that won the remaining championships aren't exactly cinderellas (Michigan State, Maryland, Syracuse, Kansas, and Louisville). I admit that a few of those teams weren't exactly favorites coming into the tournament (UCONN's two most recent championships come to mind), but they are still blue blood programs. The tournament format is what creates so much of the drama.

The NBA wasn't exactly devoid of close games this year, either. The Pacers-Cavs series went seven games in the first round (the Pacers were picked to win about 30 games by the way). Boston lost its two best players and took the Cavs to seven games. If Chris Paul doesn't get hurt, the Warriors might have lost to the Rockets in seven.

The NBA is 24/7 drama. Basketball aside, the trades, egos, social media, and tanking make it a circus. And it's just an absolute joy to watch players like LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, and Anthony Davis play basketball.

Tentozen and Lukas Harkins like this.
  4. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $218
    NBA has and will always be dominated by the blue bloods of their time. BUT, the same can be said about college basketball.

In the last 35 years, there have been 11 unique teams to win NBA championships or approximately, 37%. In that same time, ONLY 17 unique teams have won NCAA championships, approximately 5%!

Think about that for a sec. With players only able to stay with their college team a max of 4 years and many leaving sooner AND a crap ton more NCAAB teams, one could argue the predictability of NCAAB is even less than the NBA.

I for one love college basketball a lot more than the NBA, but I don't begrudge the product. When my team is good in the NBA, I love it, when they are down, I don't watch as much. 2-3 teams have always been the favorite and will continue to win NBA championships. That doesn't stop Pacer fans from lining up to buy tickets.

I know Butler is HIGHLY unlikely to win an NCAA Championship any given year, but I still watch, because I love the product, not because I dislike the NBA and need another outlet. It's my preference.

5. Irishdawg

Money:
    $1
    This is why it's more popular than ever, and honestly, is the only reason I know what's going on in the league. The off-the-court stuff is far more interesting to pay attention to than what's going on during the games, to me anyway.

The NBA has the best basketball players in the world, no doubt. I just don't have interest in watching their games (regular season's too long like baseball and hockey), and because I feel like I already know what's going to happen in a 7 game series, and most of the time, I'm not far off, whereas by Day 2 my NCAA bracket is usually toast. I don't disagree that if the NBA went to a one-and-done format, I'd be far more interested in watching the drama unfold. For instance in the Cavs-Pacers and even the Cavs-Celtics series. The Pacers and Celtics had good showings in the series, but as long as Lebron wanted to win a game, the Cavs were going to because no one in the Eastern conference currently has a player on their team with the stature and experience to hold up when Lebron decided to turn it on. I told a Cavs fan (more of a Lebron fan), that the Pacers would make a series of it, but the Cavs would win, that Cleveland would crush Toronto because they're a bunch of pretenders in the playoffs, and that Boston or Philly (so I didn't know 100%) would win some games but ultimately the Cavs were going to the Finals, where they'd get beaten hard by the Warriors or Rockets.

It's not even about the eventual champion for me. It's being able to go through, round by round, before anything happens and pick it mostly correctly without having watched more than 5 complete games of the regular season of every team. In the NFL, random things can happen in a one-game format. In MLB and hockey, a pitching staff or goalie can get hot, and then the last team in can go all the way and win it all. But the NBA's drama (in my opinion) mostly takes place once the games are over. On the court, it's pretty much decided before they ever throw a ball in the air. I know plenty of people who still like watching, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Irishdawg

Money:
    $1
    While you can pretty much say the same thing about NCAA basketball and football, in terms of there being a limited number of champions, at least in basketball, there hasn't been a dynastic type of run of one team or two teams since UCLA in the 70's. Sure, a small percentage of teams will eventually win it all, but you don't know which ones in any given year. Like Crash, I enjoy watching Butler despite the fact I know before the season starts that they don't have a realistic chance of winning a title at the start of the year.

7. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,117
    I watch Butler for the product. Live and die with every game.

I am not trying to pick a fight here. But Crash...you're math is a bit skewed. There are 30 NBA teams. There are 351 NCAA D1 programs. While you are correct that only 17 have won, comparing Jacksonville State to Villanova isn't quite the same as comparing the Warriors to the Hawks in the NBA.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops

Crash and SpartanDawgs like this.
  8. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $204
    I watch Butler basketball because I love basketball, I’m a Butler alumnus, I believe in its culture, I enjoy Hinkle’s atmosphere, and it’s fun to watch. GO DAWGS! (Slam effect)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Crash likes this.
  9. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $218
    No fight. I actually like this discussion. Better than talking about what recruits cousins, girlfriends, Mothers Uncle said on Twitter.

I'm a Warriors fan and as much as I love championships, I grew up mesmerized by RUN TMC (Hardaway, Mullen, Richmond). They were my team and continue to be my favorite team. Why? Nostalgia I guess. Damn, I even told friends that if the Celtics were to face the W's and win, I would be ok with it. Why? Stevens.

Like Butlernut and French Dawg I have an unhealthy obsession with Butler. I'd trade my Giants 3 WS's, 3 W's Champships and 5 49er SB trophies for 1 Butler Championship in a heartbeat.

ButlerNut likes this.
  10. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,117
    Crash, great class, man. Appreciate it. I agree with you, that I would be more than happy to see the Giants 3 WS's get stripped from their lore! ;) (coming from a LA Dodger fan here).

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $218
    Redact my last statement. I can't stand Butlernut and hope his Dodgers lose in every game 7 of the WS until the end of time. Is that too strong?!?
    I know baseball rivalries have taken a back seat to football, but us true Giants & Dodger fans always teach out kids they have 2 favorite baseball teams. In my case, the Giants and whoever the Dodgers are playing!

12. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,117
    OUCH! :(
    But you are right on the two favorite baseball teams...just wrong on Giants! :D

But I think you jinxed me...I went to Game 2 and 3 of LA against Cubs this week, two total stinkers by the Dodgers!

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,888

ButlerNut likes this.