Brandon Miller Hired by Butler

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by pf1, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,730
    That's why I keep saying we have to get lucky. That's all it is with transfers. Now, sniffing out some JUCOs or some lower profile 2014 guys...completely different. That should be (and seems like it is) in motion already.

Let's say for grins we nab Peyton Allen. So we add Jones, Martin, Wideman and Allen to a core of Dunham, Big C, Woods, Brown, Barlow. I wonder what fair expectations would be for that group?

2. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885

I love it. Yeah and pf1 is all over Miller for a supposed lack of recruiting experience.......................

3. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,885
    True, however neither is his constant insinuation that the Butler Basketball program is the hands of incompetents. I am merely giving back what he freely dishes out.

4. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,885
    He also once made the spot on comment that half of McDonald's All Americans never make a measurable impact at the college level.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    This is what Barnes at Texas discovered. Many McDs are too interested in the NBA and lose focus or never had it in the first place. That is why Texas is now winning and Baylor isn't.

6. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119
    PF1's opinion aside, an NBA coach brings instant credibility to a college basketball program. Recruiting experience matters exponentially less when you bring those kind of credentials.

7. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    This isn't necessarily true at all. Managing a college program is a very different animal from coaching an NBA team.

Sure, NBA experience gives you a sales pitch in recruiting, but that's about it. The coach still has to manage and teach the game and motivate kids who aren't being paid to be there.

The coaches who have gone from the NBA to college and had success are the ones that had significant college coaching experience before they made it to the NBA: Calipari, Pitino, etc.

I can't think of any coaches who've been successful in the NBA-to-college switch without prior college experience. Fred Hoiberg sorta fits, but he was in NBA management. I can think of an absolute failures: Sidney Lowe.

8. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    I reposted that tweet by Pf1, not because I don't think Mike Brown is a capable HC. More because of the intent of it. Going after a HC after 20 games, when he has lost arguably his best player for the season is LOW. It's his 140 characters though. He can be irresponsible and reckless, but WE can also repost that stuff and comment on it. Two way street.

9. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    For the record, I do not believe our program is in the hands of incompetents. I also do not believe university leadership hired the right coach. In my view, they made a mistake. I make mistakes all the time and don't believe I'm incompetent. I don't think any of the leaders of our program are incompetent either.

As an aside, I personally don't really care about personal attacks directed at me on the board. The more, the merrier. But the moderators selectively letting that stuff continually fly while banning other posters is confusing and inconsistent.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  10. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,885
    "For the record, I do not believe our program is in the hands of incompetents."

So you merely believe the entire hiring process was a flawed exercise that was tainted by neglect, indifference, inattention and a demonstrated lack of knowledge or understanding of the situation. Thanks for the clarification.

11. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    [tweet]428303156070461441[/tweet]
    Fair to repost and disagree, sure. Not really sure what you accomplish by the name-calling. Kind of hurts your argument.

Anyway, the tweet is a commentary about Mike Brown and what I personally believe would give the Butler men's basketball program the best chance to succeed. Given how we look relative to the Big East competition, if we'd hired LaVall Jordan (who I supported) or even a head coach like Brad Brownell or Ben Jacobson, I'd have said the same thing. Just substitute their name in the tweet for Brandon Miller's.

My intent, which you seem curious about, is to float an idea that I believe would help Butler put itself in the best position possible to succeed in a challenging high major conference. For the 1,000th time, I like Coach Miller, he was probably my favorite Bulldog player of all time, and I want him to succeed. I just don't think it's even close to as likely that Miller will succeed compared to somebody with a profile like Mike Brown.

Right now, I believe the best chance we have to succeed is to hire a great recruiter. Despite never being a college coach, I believe Mike Brown would be a great recruiter. From what I've seen he has the traits to be. Charismatic. Great communicator. Well-liked. High profile. Young. NBA ties. Experienced.

The guy is so well-respected he was hired to coach the two greatest active living players -- LeBron and Kobe. His communication skills, both with the media and players, are outstanding; hard to be hired to be an NBA head coach three times if they aren't. As far as the Xs and Os go, he's pretty much universally hailed as a defensive expert. In 2008-09, with no supporting cast he coached LeBron to as many regular season wins as LeBron has ever gotten. Brown has taken teams to the NBA conference semifinals or farther 6 times.

Importantly from a practical perspective, Mike Brown is 43 years old. He's still young and maybe would stick around for awhile given he's probably already set for life financially. Because Elijah plays for the team, maybe there's a chance he'd actually consider coming to Butler if he's exiled from Cleveland. Maybe he'd even take something of a discount in order to coach his son. Obviously all of this is far-fetched and most likely a pipe dream, but - at least for me and maybe a few others - it's fun to at least think about. Definitely more likely than it was that Trey Lyles would attend Butler.

12. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Your intent is wanting BMill fired after one year. And I find that deplorable..............

13. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    My allegiance is to Butler University and its men's basketball program. If firing our coach after one year puts both in a better position to succeed, then I'd support that. If retaining our coach for the next 50 years is best for both, then I'd support that.

14. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    What are you talking about? Of course I don't think Barry Collier is incompetent. He did a hell of a job coaching our team, hiring Brad Stevens, retaining him, and participating in developing a culture that produced great success on and off the court. He's a legend. But, I happen to believe he's a legend who made a mistake.

You can keep up with the personal insults, but please don't put words in my mouth.

15. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Don't say I never helped you.

BarryCollier@BUADCollier

Let me know how that goes. Especially the part about firing a HC after one season.

16. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I have no idea what you're trying to say.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    For the most part NBA coaches don't coach. They baby sit over paid athletes. Many NBA coaches never played the game. To think they can go out and recruit and teach the game in a university setting is ludicrous.

18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    This daydreaming about who to replace Brandon with is tiresome. Your Butler University Mens' Basketball Head Coach is Brandon Miller and will remain so beyond this season. And I do believe the speculation at this point in time is undermining to the program, not to mention ridiculous. There is nothing "fun" about it. My opinion.

19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    The same tired arguments about Miller are the same as when he was hired. It hurt recruiting then and it continues to hurt. I suspect the push back to my comment is impressionable sixteen and seventeen year olds don't read this board.

20. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    In summation: you'll fire an alumni who as a player was a mainstay on the University's first Sweet 16 team, was hired twice as an assistant by the most well-known coach not named Tony Hinkle and one of its bigger donors (and vocal supporters) to the basketball program in Brad Stevens. The next hire would be a guy whose son is on the team and has NBA ties, but prior to his son coming to the school has absolutely no ties to the University or college basketball (his first job out of college was in the NBA in 1992).

I think you'd be surprised at the kind of reaction that you'd get as the hypothetical AD. You'd also be putting your new coach (not to mention his son) in a heckuva position as co-conspirators in the situation you've created.

I get that you want Butler to win. We all do. The things you're talking about though won't happen because of what can and does happen afterwards. As Mike Brown, would you really trust the AD to not go behind your back if you're not succeeding (aka winning) at a high level right off the bat? He's already done it to someone with a lot more connections at the University than what you've got. And the guy he fired he coached during his year break after his transfer from Soutwest Missouri State. As a player, do you really want to commit to a program when you're not sure if the head coach will even be around next year, let alone your senior year? What happens when someone finds out you were going behind the head coach's back while he was still an employee to hire someone else? Probably won't be much positive media coverage from that. What happens when Mike Brown leaves? Think any big-named (or any named) coach is going to want to work for you after that? You better have a lot of money saved up from those donors you lost. JMO.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.