Brandon Miller Hired by Butler

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by pf1, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Yes, if some combination of the following is true: (a) the team underperformed during the season (i.e., 9th or 10th in the Big East and no postseason), (b) the team wasn't better at the end of the year than it was at the beginning, as was promised, (c) there's dissension on the team, (d) no Big East-level player has been added to the team at a position of need, (e) the 2015 class does not look like it's coming together, and (f) Brown is no longer employed.

This is a good point. But I wasn't advocating whispering behind our sitting head coach's back or making anyone a "co-conspirator." I was thinking of something subtle, more along the lines of if Mike Brown, after being fired, indicated through the press something to the effect of (a) he's excited to spend more time with family and (b) he's open to getting back into coaching. Looking back at my tweet, that wasn't clear.

I know you're making a different point, but - by the same token - you'd better be prepared to deal with all the lost donors and season ticket holders if you stick with Brandon Miller and he fails to win games or bring in sufficient Big East-level talent for a period of years.

2. sammysnead22

sammysnead22 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Ludicrous? I would disagree with that. I think it could easily be done. There just isn't much interest to go from NBA to NCAA. Chances are a coach gets fired in NBA and is still getting paid a few million for two years after departure. Then ends up making 500k as NBA assistant. So what's the incentive to go to college? But saying it is ludicrous that a former NBA coach could succeed at it is ludicrous. Cal and Pitino are doing ok.

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,504
    Cal and Pitino were college coaches first. NBA coaches don''t have the experience to coach college players. Most have never played basketball let alone coach basketball. Name one that started in the NBA and has been successful coaching college.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,504
    If one were to fire Miller because he isn't winning why don't the Celtics fire Stevens? He has failed more than Miller has.

5. sammysnead22

sammysnead22 New Member

Money:
    $5
    My point is why would an NBA coach go to college? Private jets, five star restaurants, work with the best talent vs. Bus trips, $50 per diem, coaching up bench guys that will only play in exhibition. Seems like a fairly easy choice. But to say an NBA coach couldn't be successful at it hilarious. Rivers, Spoelstra, Pop, Thibs would all have been paid double what Alford is making at UCLA.
    Hell, Brian Shaw can't get a job in the NBA and I think he would be a top 10 coach in college day 1.

6. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Care to name some of the 16+ NBA head coaches who have never played basketball?

I'd bet that Brad Stevens would disagree that most NBA coaches are babysitters who don't coach basketball.

7. Willard Decker

Willard Decker New Member

Money:
    $5
    I'm guessing your question is rhetorical, but I'll humor you. Stevens signed a six-year contract. Moreover, most following the Celtics consider this season a resounding success given Boston's mediocre roster. Although I wouldn't characterize Butler's roster as being much stronger by comparison, it's my impression people were expecting a strong conference performance given the 10-2 record out of conference.

--Captain Decker

8. dawgsrock

dawgsrock Member

Money:
    $6
    Larry Brown

9. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Resounding success? They are currently projected to win 28 games - almost exactly the same as preseason.

10. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Amen.

Here is a 2012 article analyzing college basketball firings. Not one first year coach included.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...7693834/analysis-of-the-2012-coaching-changes

Here is an article analyzing 2013 college basketball coaching changes. The only one remotely close to a 1 year exit is Billy Gillespie at Texas Tech and that is well documented that he had serious personal issues and treated people like ****.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ge-basketball-coaching-carousel-one-stop-shop

I totally concur. This is NOT a fun topic. Almost embarrassing that people tweet nonsense like this and justify in their own minds why it's a smart move to axe a 1st year coach on his FIRST gig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.