Brandon Miller Hired by Butler

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by pf1, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldstyle1908

oldstyle1908 Active Member

Money:
    $2,952
  2. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $305
    I don't think being a former NBA player is a huge deal. 10 of the current 29 NBA head coaches didn't play in the NBA, including 3 of the coaches of the conference finals teams. The only 3 who kept their jobs too. Rondo is a concern, but I think it takes a real diva to get a coach fired, like Deron Williams or Dwight Howard.

3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,427
    Hoping for Vall as HC and Brandon as associate HC.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,192
    Irishdawg you are right about the pros egos. I think Brad has a better disposition than say guys like Calipari, Pitino and Viatale who are so into being the focus. But I bet he will have quite a bit to say who will be on the team. Don't see Carmelo Anthony or Dwight Howard in a Celtic uniform anytime soon. Maybe Gordon Hayward who is a prototypical Celtic. What he may struggle with along with millionaire egos is the long grind, fan abuse and the travel. I can't imagine he will be spending as much time on the things he evidently likes most such as player development, game preparation and pure practice coaching. Like Phil Jackson said he better have Rhino leather for skin. But I think the money is worth all of that.

5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,192
    What do you think of preempting the Celtic press conference?

6. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $338
    I would definitely not be opposed to that, either. However, don't you think that could maybe stir things up with the other staffers (assuming they stay, which I know is not a given)? If Miller comes in immediately as Associate HC with only 4 years of coaching experience, when they have been here for several years already. So basically getting two new bosses. Or do you think LaVall would even keep them on staff? Would highly doubt any UM coaches come with him, but he has never coached with Lewis (and Johnson?) To this point, do you think Brad takes any BU guys with him? So many questions to be answered. I guess as long as we have the head coach, and an assistant or two for next week we'll be fine. But, man for a rookie coach, trying to assemble your staff simultaneously while having this critical summer recruiting period would be rough start to say the least.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,192
    I would think he would try to keep the current assistants and if necessary give them some money to stay for at least a year. The university could give them each 10-20 grand as a stay bonus just from the difference in Brad's salary and the new guy's salary. They are also all scheduled to take a wonderful all expense trip to Sidney and the Great Barrier Reef. Why not sign up for a year? It would behoove the new coach to keep them. If it is LaValle he probably already knows who he would like to recruit. Australia would be an ideal time for player and coach bonding and away from the spot light.

8. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,101
    There's no point in naming an associate head. Miller hasn't be here or anywhere long enough to warrant that. Really no reason to believe he'd leave if Jordan gets the job, unless Jordan for some reason doesn't want him on his staff.

9. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Exactly. I'm not sure I swallow whole this reporting that Miller is a finalist. One could argue Miller has even less experience than Brad did when he was hired to be a Horizon League coach. It's also not clear to me why Miller would be considered over Terry Johnson.

Again, I wonder how much of the pro-Miller sentiment is animated by fondness for him as a player. I know he was one of my favorites.

If the reporting is wholly accurate, Miller must have really turned a lot of heads in his 3 months at Butler in camps/individual workouts and been a phenomenal interview. (He hasn't coached in a game or an official practice since returning, and there certainly haven't been any recruiting accomplishments this summer.)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,453
    How much was Brad Stevens' buyout?

11. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,227
    Do we have anyone lurking in the halls of Hinkle around Barry's office to see if any decision is coming down today?

12. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    HoopCoach.org ‏@hoopcoach 2h
    Trey Burke said, “Once I stepped in and learned a lot from the coaches, specifically LaVall Jordan, I was able to be successful from day 1.

13. HattMoward

HattMoward New Member

Money:
    $22
    I find myself incessantly checking this page, hoping to see some confirmation. Only to be disappointed as I scroll to the bottom. Any news out there? I'd settle for rumors at this point.

14. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,227
    +1

15. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
    The backcourt LaVall Jordan had primary responsibility for last year:

[​IMG]

16. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5
  17. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $309
    You keep checking because such a no-brainer choice tricks you into thinking they'd actually be mindful that Jordan is going to have to call all these guys before the 10th and get a move on with planning the recruiting schedule (when/where/who/hell, why). EVERYONE knows that Friday afternoon releases is where you stash your bad news to hope it goes away with the weekend news cycle. Guess what? We don't have the luxury. This close to the evaluation period, every day puts BU on looser footing. It should've been 5 hours ago, at the latest.

It better not take until Monday.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  18. Meeks' Contribution

Meeks' Contribution New Member

Money:
    $5

One of the interesting aspects of this coaching search is how little attention Terry Johnson is getting. I think its clear at this point he won't be getting the job, but it is a shame he isn't getting more credit for what he has done in his time at Butler. Been on staff for 6-7 years, last link to Final Four runs, and a big contributor in scouts/recruiting. My guess is if he had played for us in the past people would have him right in the mix of things.

As a clarification, I have no problems with any other candidates, just think TJ should be getting more traction. If he doesn't get the job, as it appears he won't, they better make sure he stays so we have some semblance of continuity with the kids. Hell, take some of that Brad $ and reward him for all his hard work.

19. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,427
    Title--Why so quick to blame Barry, et al for any perceived delay? Vall could just as easily being slowing the process down. First go round with a HC contract, I'd be having my agent and attorney going over it all multiple times. Probably a little back and forth going on as well. And with the interconnectedness of BU/MU this might be a bit more complicated than some.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  20. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,634
    I am sure he is under contract with Michigan. Could Michigan possibly be holding it up saying that they'll only let him go if he doesn't recruit any of their targets, or any similar stipulations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.