Brooks Barnhizer - 2021 Wing (Northwestern)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Lukas Harkins, Sep 5, 2019.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,246
    Sure-it’s a very, very poor basketball program. But it’s an absolutely elite opportunity. Outside of Stanford and Duke, there are no other places where you can earn a truly elite education while playing in a major sports conference, though Notre Dame and Vandy deserve consideration as well.

I just don’t see Northwestern paying a coach not to coach. Its been at least 25 years since a men’s basketball coach or football coach at Northwestern was fired before the end of his contract, if it’s ever happened at all.

Prior to Collins Bill Carmody had 5 winning seasons in 13 years and never came particularly close to the NCAA tournament. He still was given 13 years and left at the end of his contract. While they have money, it’s not a program that operates even remotely similarly to any other Big Ten team. The amount of alum that actually care if they win or not is EXTREMELY limited and they average about 5,500 fans per game in the non conference schedule. There is just zero external pressure to win, and why are they going to pay millions of dollars that they don’t have to pay? It could happen, but it would be truly unprecedented for Collins to be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. dawgs2014

Money:
    $4,246
    Sure-but I’m purposefully nitpicking.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,041
    I think we mostly agree. It’s a great decision for the next 40 years but not the next 4. I don’t really blame the kid at all.

But man, there are some comparable schools with better basketball programs. Like you said, get Brey interested, get Vandy on the phone. Heck, go to USC or Georgetown. And I’ll also say if you’re essentially punting on having a good basketball experience in college, go the full 9 and call Tommy A.

4. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,512
    It's disappointing because it sounded like we were the popular favorite to land him.

That being said, Northwestern is an elite school. The Big Ten is a really good conference--even if Northwestern is bleh as a basketball program.

Can't really blame him for the decision.

5. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $433
    Personally, I've always wanted Poulakidas moreso than Barnhizer, so no big loss here, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,383
    Do we think we added Graham when we learned Barnhizer was going a different direction or vice versa?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,102
    Butler has been targeting Graham for a very long time. I don't think either had anything to do with the other.

8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,731
    I get Northwestern is an elite school, but as people have said, there are schools that are either just as good or nearly as good where you can get a much better basketball experience.

Notre Dame, Vandy, UCLA, Cal Berkeley, USC, Georgetown, Michigan, and UVA.

He might not have been good enough for Michigan and UVA, but the others?

Also, depends on what he wants to study. But after the first job or two, no one really gives a **** where you went to school. The only thing it’s really valuable for is the network, and you can pretty easily make that up by getting to know people in whatever industry you’re in.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $4,246
    I sense some jealousy. Is it bc Taylor Battle’s brother plays for Northwestern? Or maybe bc Penn State football hasn’t beaten Northwestern Football on a day where both the month and date are prime numbers since 1996?

Doesn’t matter how good you are if you can’t show it in *shoots finger pistols* “prime time”

10. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,731
    Have... have... we LOST to Northwestern when both the month and day of game are prime numbers? I guess November some point?

Going off memory - only losses this millennium I can think of are 2004, 2014, and 2015. Maybe 2000?

11. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,777
    You’re welcome...

http://cfbref.com/tiny/Z8L8f

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,731
    Thank you. Someone seems a bit salty.

I was close. 03 and 04.

And 2015 game was both a month and day prime number. That was such a frustrating game. We’re up 21-20 and have to punt back to NW. QB hits our DB right in the chest (kid is now a starter for the Giants, and if Willis reads this, his parents are doctors in Atlanta) and he drops the INT that would have ended it. NW marches down to get the winning FG after that. Ugh.

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $4,246
    Yeah but the Northwestern starting qb missed almost the whole game and the kicker was a baseball player.

I want to say I was at that game.