Brooks Barnhizer (Offered) - 2021 Wing

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by Lukas Harkins, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    At the risk of throwing us way off topic, I'm curious why you think this.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    Your Northwestern bias is showing, classing it with those other four ;)

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,969
    Ha-I don’t actually believe that it is in the same class. I would say it’s definitely a tier lower overall, but no one is going to be discriminated against for having a Northwestern degree. The fact that it’s in Chicago means you can be set up with literally any job you want by the time you’re a senior if you’re an athlete.

For non athletes I may change my tune slightly, but probably not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    Agree. One of my very good friends is a Northwestern grad so I am just used to giving NU a hard time.

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,535
    My dad got his Masters from NU, but Stanford is still a better overall academic institution.

What is Yale known for? In my world - VC, PE, Banking - I run into Harvard all the time, and since I’m in VC specifically, Stanford all the time too since it’s basically a feeder for Silicon Valley. I have one VC friend who went to Yale. I never see them. Princeton is rare, too.

6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,535
    Thanks for the info! I’m aware of the endowments since they are big investors in alternative asset classes, but I had no idea that’s how the system worked at those schools. I love that. Gives kids a chance who are smart and deserving who otherwise might not have had the means.

7. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,661
    lawyers, politics, research...

Hinkle likes this.
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,679
    Ha. Yeah, that will open a can of worms. Those three have historically been "the best" universities in the U.S. as reflected in various rankings - past and current - as well as the students and faculty they attract. There are some other schools that cycle in and out, but those three are always at the top. My opinion is probably also influenced by personal experience with grads of many top schools, too. Though one of the worst lawyers I've ever interacted with is a Yale law grad, so there's that.

I mean we're not talking huge differences here - though I do believe schools that compete in the major athletic conferences can only do so much to protect the academic side of things, unless they take the Northwestern or Vandy route and just choose not to be competitive. (That last bit was sarcasm.)