Brunk to transfer.

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Mar 27, 2019.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    You'll defend Fowler no matter how awful he played against anyone he played against in any game he played. Pot meet kettle.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    It was the 22nd rated conference this year. They’ve finished higher than that a few times in recent years but the 18-20 range is not atypical. Maybe we have different definitions? For me, mid major leagues are those like the MWC, A10, WCC and others who are fairly regularly in the tier just below the highs but above the rest. But it’s not really that relevant. Point is, an average at best conference’s team won the thing, so what difference does Fowler’s performance have?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,557
    Nothing in Fowler’s game or Brunk’s would lead me to believe either has had proper offensive coaching for a five at Butler not only during LJ’s tenure but also under Holtmann’s and probably even in high school. I know I’m the odd man out but our defensive scheme was not the right one for either Brunk or Fowler this past year. The scheme may be fine going forward if our five is more athletic than Brunk and Fowler.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,214
    I don't know which ranking system you're looking at, but they are typically in the 10-14 range in RPI - this year was a down year and they were 18 - and right around the A10, MVC, Mountain West and WCC. The only other conferences outside the so-called "power six" to have as many Final Four teams in the last 15 years as the CAA (Mason and VCU) are the Horizon - and both of those teams were Butler - and the MVC (Wichita and Loyola).

To me the low majors are the likes of the MEAC, SWAC, NEC, Patriot, etc.

Most years there is quality basketball in the CAA - but this was admittedly a down year.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    Kenpom. The RPI probably deserves its reputation of being a terrible rating system for a lot of reasons.

And obviously that’s fine. There’s no bright line rule. But my feeling is that equating leagues like the A10 with leagues like the CAA isn’t very useful. I don’t have a good solution tho because equating the CAA with leagues like the SWAC also isn’t very useful I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,894
    Why are you still concerned with Brunk’s recruiting ranking? You have 2 years of actual games to judge him.

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Do you honestly believe that he left because of our complaints?

Am I alone in NEVER seeing anyone complain that Joey can’t defense two people by himself?

I’ve never seen anyone criticized anywhere in any sport for not being able to defend two people by themselves.

If you want to make the case that it will be a noticeable loss why don’t you point to the fact that he played the lions share of the minutes at the 5 and that it took both he and Fowler 2.5-3 years in college basketball before they were ready to consistently contribute there, and that we can’t replace that kind of experience.

That seems like a much more compelling argument than complete nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $454
    Can we just lock this thread already. He's gone and we will whoop his *** two years from now in the crossroads.

estar20dawg and DawgPoundMac like this.
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    Recruiting ranking or not, it was obvious to anyone who had their eyes open he made a major leap from his 1st to 2nd year. He will continue to improve - that's the disappointment. You continue to defend a player that virtually never improved at BU.

10. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $405
    Can we just agree to disagree on the merits of Brunk and Fowler. Each of us look through different lenses to see what we want to see or what we don't want to see. My hope is that we will see some improvement at that position next season, regardless of who it may be.

11. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $454

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  12. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,513
    Do you mean that UVa is a low-major team? And did you say they are from a weak conference (ACC) in later post? I think I must have missed something because those statements seem off.

13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Hinkle is referring to the 3 on 3 tournament that Bumba used as evidence for Nate being bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Hinkle and UDDawg like this.
  14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,214
    Hinkle is also on this weird kick about the CAA being a "low-major" despite being one of the better basketball conferences outside the Power Six.

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    That is objectively not true.

I’ll concede we can reasonably disagree about what caliber conference is properly called a mid vs low major.

16. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $139
    He’s made his choice and Fowler is graduating. Why is this discussion ongoing?

Though I expect the same debate is gonna go on over Golden and Nze or whoever had the misfortune of having to guard more traditional post players.